Iggy Pop-The Idiot,Lust For Life,TV Eye Live UME Vinyl Reissues 6/2/17 !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

For those who wish Iggy Pop-Lust For Life vinyl reissue was done by ANY label other than 4 Men With Beards... here's your chance .Siren Music is reporting June 2nd as the release date for UME vinyl reissues of Iggy Pop Lust For Life,The Idiot and TV Eye Live

vonwegen, punkmusick, dogpile and 3 others like this.
  2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Hopefully that's good news!

I have well played Green Label RCA International copies of The Idiot and Lust For Life so wouldn't mind replacing them if decent pressings were available.

3. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

BTW, the Jim Jarmusch Stooges doc is now streaming free on Amazon Prime.

4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

5. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

The pre-orders on Amazon list the same release date as the links above, but show Virgin instead of UMC-Capitol and no mention of colored vinyl, but the link from Iggy's Facebook page took me there, so I assume it's the right one.

6. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Hopefully this means that decent cd reissues will follow soon...

qtrules and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

don't get too excited. I bought the recent Geffen reissue of Elliott smith's "figure 8", only to find out it was just a repress of the awful Plain reissue.

Turntable, vonwegen and patient_ot like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Label probably too cheap to cut a new lacquer and get it plated. Easier to just call up Rainblow and have them make more with slight changes to the jackets. Glad I didn't bite on that one. Not jumping the gun on the Iggy LPs either.

polchik and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  9. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Will wait to read the forum member's verdict on the UME reissues before I trade in my 4 Men with Beards Yellow reissue.Bar is set pretty low to beat it.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I purchased 4 Men with Beards version of LUST FOR LIFE expecting the worst. Very surprised how good it sounds.

punkmusick likes this.
  11. I was curious since these are likely going to come from the Virgin Records pressings release. I'm just curious does anyone what their 1990's Vinyl releases sound like and what they were sourced from. I really only bring us because I've never really been able to find information about the sound quality. But if those releases sound better I might have a better way to determine if I'm interested in these reissues. Just as long as it doesn't sound as thin as the 4 Men With Beards pressing.

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Universal own Virgin now.

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

AcidPunk15 and polchik like this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I hope the new Iggy releases are good. I'd love to buy them!

15. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The publicity says they are 'remastered for the first time from the original analogue tapes' which is encouraging!

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I also got the email from The Sound Of Vinyl about these reissues, not sure if I will get them, but have to wait and see how the verdict goes.

17. sjmin209

sjmin209 Forum Resident

AcidPunk15 and Sub 37 like this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I suspect it's related to it being a well-recorded album at the time, in terms of having a big, wide and open sound. A more drastic example would be the best of the 1960s Elvis Presley Nashville studio recordings. which sound SO good, it's almost impossible for poor mastering to completely take that stellar quality away.

19. I am confused, are only the colored vinyl editions remastered from their original analog tapes? Because to me the colored vinyl are ugly, and I'd like to get the standard black.

20. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

This is potentially good news. I've heard the 4MWB pressing of The Idiot and it sounds awful!

rxcory likes this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Universal special offer now sold out. When will high res downloads or at least remastered cds of these albums especially Idiot and Lust get done. TV Eye always sounded like a bootleg.
    Seeing tomd's avatar what about Audio Fidelity doing the 2 Stooges albums?

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

"Remastered from Original Tapes" almost never means "cut all-analog from the original tapes." 99% of these reissues are transferred (from the original tapes) to digital before cutting. Plain and 4 Men With Beards are the same company, so I wouldn't be surprised if UME pulled the same crap they did with the Elliott Smith reissues and just used the 4MWB stampers (likely cut from commercial CD).

23. sjmin209

sjmin209 Forum Resident

Well, they do claim it's the first time they've been remastered from the original tapes, which would imply that they're not going to recycle the FMWB. Of course, it's all just speculation until June.

And for the record, my 4MWB Lust for Life is terrible.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I could use a upgrade of Idiot my original is well played. One of my favorite records by anybody.
    If it sounds good I'm in.

punkmusick and btltez like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hey, come on! They can't do that. It's one thing to use substandard stampers for standart Elliott Smith reissues but to announce reissues from original tapes and then use Plain stampers.... now that would be downright cynical.

But then again.... both are Universal releases, for both Plain stampers do exist so who knows.

Reading stuff like this makes me glad that I picked up an original US black RCA for "Lust" a couple of weeks ago. Even though I already had the orange UK.

e.s. and Leviethan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.