The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

At the risk if repeating myself (I am), I remember in 2009 having the Wall of Sound RT in my car CD player for a long time because it was the best show ever, and then having to remind myself every once in a while that it was in fact from two shows. That it was from two shows didn't affect my enjoyment one iota.

One of my friends wanted not much to do with the series because is wasn't (for the most part) complete shows. I was like, "But, but it's from dead.net and it's live GD and they're selling it. I don't see the problem."

2. wavethatflag

Where's the 10 dollar coffee? I need to try it. I want to be a yuppie.

3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I once was lost but now I'm found. I agree with Archtop. Full shows are overrated. Gimme the really great stuff in large quantities.

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I sell it mail order. PM me for paypal info :winkgrin:

US Blues, budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  5. wavethatflag

Actually, you can get a 20 oz. bag of Peet's at Jet.com for less than 10 bucks after discounts, and if you buy at least 4 bags.

I ride the bean hard these days.

Instant Dharma and ianuaditis like this.
  6. ianuaditis

Oh, no, I send cups. $10 a cup...

7. wavethatflag

That's what I was getting at. If someone in the Bay Area is selling 10 buck cups of coffee somewhere, I want to try it at least once before I make fun of all the people standing in line for it.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I exaggerated a bit, translating 10 cents yesterday to 10 bucks today. Blue Bottle in the Ferry Building. It doesn't cost $10, but costs more than a cup of coffee should, I actually haven't been since my office moved further away a while back. But it IS darn good.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

To bring us back on topic, I like the bags of coffee I buy to have whole beans, and my official releases to be whole shows, although I can see the value in the occasional well curated compilation.

10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me too. I'd like to see more incomplete show releases if it means getting stuff out of the vault. More odds and ends releases, especially pre-69 stuff, like:

footlooseman, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

10 dollar cup of Joe? Does it come with a shot of Bourbon?
    [​IMG]

13. ianuaditis

Mind-altering substances, especially legal ones, should be considered on-topic in the Grateful Thread...At least IMO

But while I'm at it, I actually prefer whole shows from the disco era and later because they made the variation in the sets a part of the jam. In the golden age, whole shows are not as important to me.

I tend to want whole shows from 70-71 but other than that I don't mind.

And for the record I don't sell any coffee mail order, I buy that Vermont one in the brown paper bag, and then I mail the bags back to them in exchange for Vermont Coffee tchotchkies.

Phoenician and budwhite like this.
  14. wavethatflag

I actually got lost while listening to Spanish Jam from Dick's 12 today. Phil tries to turn it into The Other One, Jerry joins in, but someone must veto it somewhere. And then towards the end I think Jerry was suggesting U.S. Blues. Then I looked at the setlist on my iPod, and got even more confused. So at that point I just, you guessed it, listened to the music play and got rescued by Wharf Rat.
    Whoa. Hold on there, we don't need the Rooskies influencin' this here thread. 'Murica!

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Track 1, side 2 of Link Wray's 1973 album, Be What You Want To, that I mentioned over on the Ungrateful thread, Jerry plays a cookin' electric guitar solo (he's on pedal steel on three other tracks) and even gets a shout out from Wray before his solo ("Jerry Garcia!") Don't think I've ever heard another take it, Jerry moment like that anywhere else. Usually, that's pretty much implied… This has been a good listen. In addition to Garcia on four tracks, Commander Cody, Bill Kirchen, and David Bromberg all contribute on various tracks.

16. ianuaditis

Garcia got around in the early 70s. While Grateful Dead completism is a fool's game, trying to get hold of physical copies of everything Garcia played on as a sideman might be a challenging but realistic pursuit.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. ianuaditis

Я люблю Джерри Гарсия

Там нет ничего, как благодарный мертвого концерт.

footlooseman and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. ianuaditis

@rainbow dome I'm listening to that 9-28-75 concert right now, Keith seems to be using a nice Rhodes sound which he would sadly abandon in the disco era.

NorCal, rainbow dome and budwhite like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've been slowly working on it, for decades. He was mightily prolific in the early 1970s, that's for sure.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. ianuaditis

Decades? That is not heartening at all. Some things like Link Wray or Tom Fogerty's Excalibur are probably pretty difficult to get your hands on.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well, I've had a lot of other things to do and a lot of other music to chase. It's more like I've been "working" on it, when I remember, and when other things aren't priorities, for decades. I've put slightly more dedication into my thai stick Eiffel Tower. Since you mention, Excalibur is one that I don't have, but haven't worked hard on getting. I've got some of the David Bromberg albums covered, but there's still one I need that I haven't tried that hard to track down, and so on...

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

notesofachord, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  23. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Pulling the triggers on a slew of RT sets i've been eye-balling for months. Paying a bit over the odds for a few? Yep. Might as well. In 6 months i reckon these prices will be considered dealios. It all comes out in the wash....i just want the music in best SQ. The tasty photos and liner notes are gravy. Is that so very wrong?!?

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

If it's wrong I don't wanna be right...

Crispy Rob and DrLunchbox like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Driving to Amsterdam. :agree:

footlooseman likes this.