The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I just watched the Cornell mini-documentary on an off-screen video on YouTube. (Welcome back to the home taping culture, I guess! :winkgrin:) I can't say that I enjoyed it much: too little detail, too much hyperbole. I'm not sure why they didn't give a full account of the flow of the concert, because that strikes me as what you'd want at a minimum, and they must have had enough interview footage to achieve that. Instead you get a lot of praise for 'Morning Dew' and precious little else. Speaking as someone who never saw the Dead live and is hungry for insights into the magic of that experience, I found it, frankly, rather alienating.

NorCal, Tom H, JRM and 2 others like this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Welcome aboard @rainbow dome, you went from casual to full-on fan pretty darn fast and I love it; always neat when someone runs with a pet passion aspect of the GOGD. With all of the Ned and Rhodes talk I am reminded of this section as noted in the Nedbase

09-11-74 - Grateful Dead at the Alexandra Palace, London, England - During Set II, Ned plays on "Ned and Phil" > "Space" > jam > "Space" > "Eyes of the World" > "Stronger Than Dirt" > "Space" > "Wharf Rat". Ned plays a Fender Rhodes 88 electric piano and trades intro leads with Jerry. Jerry was very happy, laughing at the end of the sequence, and gave Ned his guitar pick.

There is a good Miller of it as well here 9-11-74 Ally Pally

Crispy Rob, NorCal, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  3. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

Oh yeah, the 75 shows are great for Rhodes. I know on the One From the Vault Show Keith plays Rhodes exclusively, and I believe that's also true for the other shows that year. 3/23/75 is extra special for featuring both Ned Lagin and Merl Saunders on Rhodes and organ (probably Hammond B3):

Wow that sounds fantastic. Will check it out soon, thanks!

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Those archive links work better if you erase the http// at the beginning and replace it with www.

The player link works in my computer, but my understanding is it doesn't play when linked for all members.

[​IMG]

Looks like 2 fender 88s and a B-3 to me.

5. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Real Gone is beginning a reissue campaign of the Road Trips series starting with 4.5 in May. Might be cheaper if you wait and buy from them.

JazzFanatic and ianuaditis like this.
  6. ianuaditis

Unless you are after the bonus discs. GD management thought it would 'betray the idea of a bonus disc' :wtf: to release them.

7. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have pretty much everything, and some of those RT bonus discs were the hardest things things to find at not prohibitively high prices (other than oddball stuff like the limited CD that came with Phil's book, the CD with Jerry's art book, etc).

Crispy Rob and footlooseman like this.
  8. ianuaditis

Well, it wouldn't be fair of GDM to reissue those and inhibit the profits of speculators.

After all, the Grateful Dead have always been about 'pony up the dough before its too late.'

9. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I bought the Winterland 73 set on ebay and just for the hell of it emailed DR Rhino and asked if they would send the bonus disc. It arrived a week later.
    Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Crispy Rob, Zafu, adamos and 8 others like this.
  10. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

I was thinking this morning about the post-jam "come down" songs that tended to appear in the second set, especially from 72-74 and 76-79. Granted, not all nights had one (especially the NFA nights that choogled right up until the end), but many did. There is Morning Dew, which is in a class of its own. There are the usual suspects like Wharf Rat, Stella Blue, and Black Peter. There are the less common ones like Comes a Time, China Doll, and Ship of Fools.

Then there are the ones that only appeared a handful of times, like Brokedown Palace on 11/17/72 (DaP 11) and 12/26/79 (DP 5), or Sing Me Back Home from 9/17/72 (DP 23). Now I'm wondering what other rare ones are hiding out there. Maybe even a post-hiatus slowed-down FOTD? I guess I know today's project.

11. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

You guys are making me miss my trip from last summer. The wife and I spent a gorgeous late morning with bloody marys and beers at Red's one day, watching folks file over for a Giants game. I wanna go back already.

Crispy Rob, NorCal and footlooseman like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Pretty sure FOTD was never used as a post-jam song. Offhand I think your list is complete, except you could add Days Between in the 90's, and maybe So Many Roads too.

EDIT: also Jerry's Dylan covers She Belongs To Me and Visions Of Johanna were in that slot in the 80's and 90's a few times.

13. JRM

There a couple performances of Tomorrow Is Forever that are late in the second set (10/23/72, 10/27/72).

Phoenician and footlooseman like this.
  14. JRM

Also from 89-95, Standing on the Moon

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Phoenician like this.
  15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That's awesome. And all you had to do was ask! I haven't listened to that set in a long while.

Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I would consider Wheel as well; although probably more out of Drums which might not fit your definition.

budwhite and Phoenician like this.
  17. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

18. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

Listening to 9/11/74 set 2 now, and the jam out of "Seastones" is unreal. True avant-fusion. And I'm really digging the two-keyboard situation on "Eyes." When I first read your post, I failed to make the connection between that date and Dick's Picks 7, which is probably my favorite official 1974 release. I really need to check out the rest of the Europe 74 stuff I haven't heard, which is pretty much everything not on Dick's 7 or 9/18/74 Dijon, FR.

Listening to all this 74 material makes me wonder if anyone has attempted to determine the slowest version(s) of each song. Of course that would be a monumental task, but the resulting compilation would be some kind of holy grail of sublime mellowness.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

9/21/74 Phil & Ned -> Playing is one you want to hear. However, Ned has said he was not there for 9/20/74.

20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

I pray to allah that someday before I make the transition that this will be released. Where would the disc breaks be?

21. JRM

Great news!

**NEW VENUE**
    JOE RUSSO’S ALMOST DEAD
    with Medeski Martin & Wood
    1STBANK CENTER
    11450 Broomfield Lane, Broomfield, CO 80021
    Saturday April 29, 2017

We have secured a date to play Red Rocks this summer, on Thursday, August 31st. This show will be with Oteil Burbridge as Dave Driewitz is on tour with Ween.

22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes apparently even outside of the south of France all the ladies love to dance. Ned's 9/20 tale. Also interesting that Keith apparently bowed out some during 9/21. It must have been a weird dynamic overall by the end of ’74 where I could see a few folks in the orbit of the band saying well if you forget to plug something in from his rig that wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Nicely done JRAD! Enjoy the weekend!

JRM likes this.
  24. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

I was thinking that when it appears, The Wheel seems to usually roll (heh) into Wharf Rat, Stella, etc., or even into more jamming before moving into one of those songs. However, I did find a few setlists where it did function as the post-jam breather song, so it certainly should be on the list.

bmoregnr likes this.
  25. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I just love this latter day live version of Peggy O. Can anyone tell me what show this is (date, location) and if this particular version is available commercially on CD or download?
    Thanks.

Edit: I think the performance is 6/26/1994 in Las Vegas. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ruben lopez likes this.