(wishful thinking) Radiohead 'OK Computer' 20th anniversary - What you'd love to have

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

As I don't have the vinyl I can only use the numbers in the DR database. If the vinyl isn't sounding more open than the CD, the rip might not be de-clicked properly. Thus giving a higher DR number.

I can only hope for the same situation as with the Rage Against The Machine S/T album, where the vinyl was more dynamic than the original CD, and the Audio Fidelity SACD showed us that a digital master could be more dynamic too.

2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

I was listening to this classic today

Any word, rumor, etc about an official 20th anniversary edition?

Come on Parlophone/EMI you can't pass this up!

:wave:

3. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

Bit difficult as EMI/Parlophone doesn't exist anymore. It was broken up in 2012!

EMI is owned by Universal and Parlophone is owned by Warners.

EMI - Wikipedia

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I would like a 5.1 surround mix in Hi Rez HFPA style disc, maybe including teh comtemporary B'Sides

unravelled and jamesc like this.
  5. hayden10538

Is the remastered CD better sounding than the original? My local second hand shop has a few originals for sale and I'm thinking of picking up a copy, if it's worth it.

6. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

This wonderful album is fine as is and their last one (and tour) "A Moon Shaped Pool" was proof that Radiohead is still "OK" as is.

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Don't think there is a remastered CD. If you are talking about the 2 disc edition, the main album is the same digital mastering.

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Flat transfer of the original tape, no limiting, NR, or brickwall!!!!

ponkine likes this.
  9. hayden10538

Cheers!

As I've no interest in paying out for the 2 disc version if it's not remastered, I'll order the original from Amazon....20p! BARGAIN!

:righton:

10. ponkine

I didn't know that
    :hide:

11. hayden10538

Don't worry about it. Strictly speaking, they were over years ago. Many of their artists knew this, that's why they started jumping ship around the early/mid 2000's!

12. ponkine

dadonred likes this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Those posters seem to hint that we might well be getting something special after all.

14. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Stanley Donwood would know.

15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

16. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Do you think that comment from Ed in the interview re the tapes is true? Or was he just fooling around?

17. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

A few months ago I came across a digital download of OK COMPUTER that was sourced from a metal positive master. It sounds almost too good to be vinyl. There is literally zero, zilch surface noise.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

If something this good could get a general release, with those kinds of dynamics, I would consider that a win for the 20th anniversary.

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Complete guesswork on my part of course, and that is the only comment I have ever seen referenced, but I don’t believe he was joking. On the other hand I don’t necessarily think it is damage that cannot be repaired.

dadonred likes this.
  19. ponkine

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) there's always another source of "master", right?

There're master mixes, pre-mastered mixes, etc.
    Sometimes even hour host has used that, instead of "master tapes"

:wave:

20. The master tapes for OK Computer have supposedly been damaged for quite a few years, but it's also claimed this 20th anniversary reissue will include newly-completed bonus tracks that were outtakes recorded during the subsequent Against Demons Tour. My hope is that we finally get a full studio version of Big Boots (as seen being made in the Meeting People Is Easy documentary along with a Follow Me Around rehearsal) plus several other tracks still yet to see the light of day officially known to date from this era, such as Lift - this was allegedly revisited in the sessions for A Moon Shaped Pool, along with True Love Waits, which became that album's closing number. I really do hope we get at least one expanded package containing the wealth of Kid A and Amnesiac leftovers when the time comes for those to receive the same celebratory treatment...

P.S. According to someone over at Radiohead's subreddit, the whole band has filmed a two-hour interview discussing OK Computer that will be released to coincide with an upcoming promotional campaign, which I'm sure involves several posters with references to 1997 that have been appearing in major cities, especially since Thom Yorke quoted lines from one of these before recent live performances of Myxomatosis.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  21. beasandpeans

Well, it's official that 'something' is happening.

Program: radiohead

0 OK, 0 : 1

22. ponkine

23. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Try the UK presses right up until a year ago.

24. beasandpeans

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    jfeldt likes this.
  25. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Woah, awesome! Where's my drool emoji?? I'm on the W.A.S.T.E. Mailing list but hadn't heard of this. Will pre-order, hope the sound is good and not crushed like A Moon Shaped Pool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.