Fisher 800B ok with AR3a's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 575maranello, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I wouldn't chance it. Not enough power for the speakers. So I've been told

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Like everything when it comes deciding speaker/amp combos, it's entirely personal. Take opinions for what they are, although you did ask for them.

Yes, of course you can use an 800B with 3a's. Particularly if you have a smaller room, and tend to listen at lower levels, you'll be fine. Probably many a fine folk did exactly the same thing back when both were considered high end.

That said, that big woofer in the 3a does need a lot of air passing through it to really allow the listener to get the full affect of it, and therefore the rest of the speaker. High current, high watt amps tend to be best for that. Even at low levels, you'll tend to get a fuller sound with a more powerful amp.

I've found with my 3's(and 3a's when I owned them) I like having different types of amps around for my different moods. I've used a Fisher 500B and 400 and was quite pleased with the outcome . I have a pair of Dynaco MKIII's that are being refurbed that I'm looking forward to using soon. Those are 60 watts and probably a better match. Currently I'm using a Harman Kardon Citation 22 amp, 200 watts. I use it with a tube pre and the combination is excellent. I also keep a Crown XLS1000 around (350 watts) that you can pick up cheap(less then $300), and this, and other newer Crown amps are touted by many AR experts over at the Classic Speaker Pages forums.

So again, the bottom line is yes you can use the 800B with your 3a's. But you might want to invest in another, more modern powerful solid state amp to have on the side.

Dennis0675 and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

AR advertised 25 wpc minimum (about what a 500B is capable of) for the AR3. The Grand Central Terminal demonstrations used 60 wpc.

A lot of folks today say you must have 100 wpc minimum with AR3s. But think about that for a minute. When these were introduced in the late 50s, virtually no one had 100 wpc amps.

If you drive them with a solid state amp that clips hard, you probably will want 100 wpc to avoid blowing the tweeters.

But I would imagine a vintage tube amp (which doesn't clip like a transistor amp) between 30-60 wpc would probably drive AR3s just fine at reasonable listening levels.

One challenge is that these are 4 ohm speakers which can be harder for an amp to drive.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Daily Nightly and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Tube amplifiers generally do their best into high impedance loads; for low impedances, SS is generally preferred.

I don't know the performance limits of a 7591 Fisher receiver into 4 ohm loads - audio reviews back in the day seem to have little to say on the subject. Compounding the issue is the AR 3a's relatively low sensitivity of 86 dB.

Taken together, it's probably safe to say this combination of amplifier and speakers should be run conservatively. Live concert SPLs should not be attempted.

sberger likes this.
  6. monkboughtlunch

You could ping this person and see how they liked the Fisher / AR combo. They made a video:

7. ronm

ronm audiofreak

That sounded good even through my computer setup.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

YouTube really frightens me sometimes.

9. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

My first system was a Fisher AR combo with an AR turntable. They do work together.

10. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident Thread Starter

ok thanks all

11. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

Why, Steve? Also, what's your opinion on the combo in question? I was considering getting a Fisher 800 and pairing it with a pair of AR4-xs for my secondary system in the distant future...

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Speakers like the AR's and KLH's sound really nice and detailed at lower volumes.

When you have a tube amp that can put out a reasonable 30-WPC, it can drive these speakers nicely.

Tube amps with properly designed transformers are better adapted to 4-ohm loads, because they have a tap on the transformer, that is specifically designed to accommodate a 4-ohm load.

But, don't expect a rock concert. Speakers like these, pair well with tube amps.

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

AR2 is better for that Fisher. You need an amplifier which can handle a 4 ohm nominal load which is reactive and dips lower. See avatar for recommended solutions. See username for why. Autoformers recommended.

russk likes this.
  14. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I am running a Fisher 400 with KLH Twelves - stunning - a little more twist of the volume knob, but plenty of sound in my large room. Working on a Eico ST-70 for them next, the extra 10 WPC will help but for now, no worries!

I just rebuilt the contour boxes - while testing, the fisher 400 just destroyed a 85WPC Realistic receiver I was testing with.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

One of the things that I never quite got the point of is people demonstrating a speaker, an amp, or other equipment by recording a YouTube video of their system playing music.

It is one thing to show a system tour of their gear and narrative. This would be a video equivalent of our show us your system, photo thread.

Someone can convey their equipment, how it is hooked up, explain why they have chosen to do things a particular way, the kind of music preferences they have, record and CD collections, their listening room, its size and surroundings, colors, furnishing, accessories, listening position (should include the obligatory foot shot w/favorite adult beverage :))...

This is something that can paint a picture, where the viewer can be drawn into their environment, educational and informative.

But when I see a static shot of gear and music being played, I think, what is the point?

It goes without saying, that we, who are viewing the video, believe that it can play music. It is hardly necessary for them to actually play music, for us to believe that it is capable of playing music.

It doesn't matter how much the system being demonstrated costs, the best audio you could hope for would not be any better than an inexpensive boom box, with a microphone held by the speaker.

What is the piont?

Manimal likes this.
  16. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I can say that my KLH sixes of similar design sound very nice with my Fisher 500b so I'm guessing the AR's will sound nice as well.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The Sixes are more efficient, with a smaller woofer, then the 3a's, and are 8 ohm. They are a better match for a 500/800.

18. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Doesn't the 800 have 4 ohm taps? My 500b does. I haven't heard both so I can't comment further. If I run into a pair of AR 3's at a reasonable price, I will grab them as I know they are iconic and would love to try them.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been using a pair of restored KLH Model 5 speakers for years with a Fisher 500C. I've found the 5's easier to power than even my AR-2a speakers. I'm currently using the Model 5's with a beautiful Harman Kardon A500 Integrated amp that is rated at 25 wpc and it can really drive the KLH speakers.

20. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

This is good to know...thanks ssmith3046 and sberger. I will keep what you are saying in mind. If I ever find a pair of AR 3's perhaps I'll pair them with a higher powered SS amp like my Sony STR V5.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

What I said nothwithstanding, unless you have a really large space and/or like to listen at concert levels, I'm sure you would find that the 800B could drive AR3a's to very reasonable levels, and sound good doing it. The only possible issue is would you find the bass low enough to your liking since that big 15" woofer needs a fair amount of air pumping though it? Only way to know is to hear it yourself with your gear in your room.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  22. monkboughtlunch

Didn't the AR3 and 3A use roughly at 12" woofer?

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes my bad.

24. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Agreed 100 %. It's always fun to try different combinations. I have a few different systems set up and change pieces out once in a while just to get a different sound.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In the 1960's music was played at quieter levels, LP dynamic range was generally reasonable, houses were on average smaller than today's larger rooms. On average, less loud, less high energy music played on AR3 speakers. Big differences here. Minimum power for AR3 speakers or 3a is not how you make them last today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.