Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know if they shipped any of the last 100. Next time you call MD, ask if any of those were shipped.

2. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

No update as of last week. "Probably before too long"

Phishman likes this.
  3. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Patiently waiting for this release to come out...but not too fast, after all the old bank account needs time to heal up after RSD! :D

AtlTrav and LeeGriffin like this.
  4. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Music Direct emailed me back today regarding the remaining copies of Abraxas:

"Thank you for your email, Daniel. We are hoping to have the final orders for Abraxas fulfilled soon (end of May – early Summer) however I do not have an exact date to provide to you."

We shall see!

Cassius, Tullman and Phishman like this.
  5. Mainaman

Mainaman Well-Known Member

Big news,just seen this:

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water - UltraDisc One Step UD1S - 45rpm 180g 2LP Box Set

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly - UltraDisc One Step UD1S - 45rpm 180g 2LP Box Set

The Beave and Tommyboy like this.
  6. Twinsfan007

WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS?!?! If this is the case I'll go out and preorder it right now! Have my money Mofi have it!! :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

The Beave and Kyhl like this.
  7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

They announced those at AXPONA last week apparently. There was a post by @-=Rudy=- in the Hardware forum that mentioned it. Pretty good selections I think.

ti-triodes, -=Rudy=- and Twinsfan007 like this.
  8. Twinsfan007

I really hope they put out the Donald Fagen before the S&G. Personally I could care less about S&G so for me I want the Donald Fagen first. I take it they haven't announced when we could potentially see these 2 releases?

9. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Will be interesting to see how they improve on the RL cut Nightfly....

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

We have a nice 45rpm of Bridge already.

The Beave and AnalogJ like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Really? The latter, while an excellent recording, is digital. And the former isn't THE greatest recording. I have the Classic Records 33.

12. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Classic Records 45 RPM of BOTW is very nice. I am curious how much improvement a One Step 45 RPM version would be.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If Nightfly is digital, that pretty much defeats the purpose. A good hi-res mastering could be just as good. I agree, "Bridge is a lousy recording, not to mention we have several audiophile type releases already.

14. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I don't think Bridge is such a bad recording really. It's very crankable, if that's the way you want to listen to it. The 45 RPM Classic is the best so far, but I would bet that MOFI can do better with the One Step.

15. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Better than more Bill Evans....

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Truth!:laugh:

The Beave likes this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It would be nice if they starting shipping the damn Bill Evans record! MoFi is great at announcing titles and then leaving their customer base hanging. I suppose the 2 latest titles in their $100 series should hit the shops in 2 years.

snorker, Bigbudukks and Tullman like this.
  18. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I still say that the first two Cars LPs (and Shake It Up) would make for totally boss picks for this here MOFI 45rpm 1-Step box set series.

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If they were going to do Fagen/Dan thing, I was hoping for the definitive Aja. Im not the biggest fan of the Cisco and to find the best sounding Aja in great shape isnt always easy. When the later does appear in the classifieds they usually appear and disappear in minutes.

BOTW is not the best candidate for audiophile treatment due to the engineering of the album to begin with (I love the atmosphere of the album in spite of its engineering). Still it would be cool to hear what this one step and new mastering can do to make this album shine even more than the Classic Records version. I hope it does eventhough I have the CR 45rpm lp also.

I cant really complain too much about these choices. 1) Bridge hasnt had a true audiophile release since the CR release. 2) The 45 rpm lp is quite expensive now.

And I dont guess The Nightfly has been done to death in the world of audiophile. So for those that like the album loads, good for them that they are one stepping it.

Ill most likely buy BOTW. Not so sure about the NightFly. Too much synth for my taste and not enough variation on instrumentation compared to the best Dan albums. Im not opposed to one stepping a digitally recorded album if it becomes the best sounding version of that album. Unfortunately not a huge fan of The Nightfly.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I still wish they would do albums that have *never* been audiophiled. Its as if they have some audiophile mastering engineers code that the same 100 titles are done and we shall not vary from those.

GentleSenator, Kyhl, MarkO and 3 others like this.
  21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

S&G; Doug Sax made a statement 27 years ago that the masters for "Bridge" was in not so good shape caused by heavy use over the years.

D Fagen: It is really funny that a digital consumer format is not the way to go to make this very early digital recording to shine, but a $100 Lp pressing is the answer :laugh::laugh:

The Beave likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do you purchase lps?

23. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

No.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Case closed.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Truly a Hi-Rezfile DVD or Blu-ray would have one less step involved.