In defense of the CD-from a cultural view.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

CD is like paradise, but I'm talking about strictly the format here. 93db of dynamic range at the disposal with pure sonic reproduction. No analog distortion (which, I admit is quite pleasant), no hiss, just the pure recorded music. Call it lifeless and cold, I'd call it a precise reproduction. (Let's not get into as why the major labels won't utilize these qualities and why, instead, they issue overcompreesed, mastered-to-death albums).

If Cds are paradise, however, the program called Accurip is heaven itself to me!

billnunan, Grant, Tuco and 5 others like this.
  2. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

That set on vinyl would be, in the most literal sense, impossible to pick up.

Shak Cohen and ggjjr like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

What thread are you reading? This one is a full-on uninterrupted love-fest for CD's! :biglaugh:

Grant, The Trinity, shaboo and 3 others like this.
  4. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Freakbeat! A great Amazon seller for new oop cd's.

melstapler and DigMyGroove like this.
  5. Off:
    Not really.
    Billboard didn't even track VHS rentals, only "sales", in '80 & '81. Billboard rental rentals, w/"sales", tracking was started in '83.
    As late as 2002, which is pretty late for VHS, VHS US "sales" were 85,000 units & DVD US "sales" were 45,000 units.
    VHS had $2.9 billion in "sales" in 2003.
    VHS had $3.7 billion in "sales" in 2002.

Not saying VHS tapes weren't rented, duh, just remember DVD was also a rental market.

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I dont think they will have the same revival that LPs have had, and digital formats will change dramatically within 30 years.

7. Yep. I know how it is. I started buying CD's in the mid-to-late 80's and was so taken aback by the format, if something came out that I wanted, I bought it. With thousands of CD's myself, there isn't much which I don't have already, so, the bargain prices that you can buy CD's for now doesn't do me any good because, as I said, if I wanted it, I bought it and therefore already have it.
    I am still buying new CD's, especially compilation types, because of better mastering giving better sound. There is more and more of 'oldies' CD's containing first-time stereo and first-time original single versions on CD or LP. Everytime I think I'm done buying Elvis CD's, a new 'improved' one comes out. Now, the same thing is happening with the Beatles. It's all a money grab.

8. Initially, VHS and Beta tapes of pre-recorded movies were cost prohibitive and so they stayed in the rental market for quite awhile. I remember when movies on VHS sold for over $100. Some of the first home Beta vcr's were well over $1,000. and I remember when RCA lowered the prices of it's VHS vcr's to $500. which brought them into middle class homes. Movie tapes were still expensive and kept them in rental stores. RCA introduced the CED video disc players which was one of the first types of video players that a person could actually afford to buy the movie. While many VHS and Beta movies still cost $100., you could buy a CED disc for $20. Some places also rented them for $1. while the video tapes cost $5.-$10. to rent. The LD's cost $40.-$60. but had much better picture quality and sound than any other format. The problem with the disc players was that you couldn't record with them, so they never could really compete with the VCR market. When the prices of the VHS vcr's, blank tapes and movies plummeted, it was all over for the video disc, until the DVD came along and took everything over by storm.

Shak Cohen and JasonA like this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

$12? Is that their general price? I thought my local stores were charging too much.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I can understand genre, but country. Does that mean tbeir krautrock gets mixed up with modern German electronica and rock?

11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Not that strange, Dave. German rock (like Deutsche Neuwe Welle from the 80s) and electronica started more or less with krautrock. Kraftwerk, the most important and influential electronic band, used even to be part of krautrock. :)

12. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Just some speculations here...

I imagine people who grew up primarily with CD's are gonna be the biggest fans. Often times people think whatever they had when they were kids was the "best". Doesn't even matter what it was - movies, cartoons, videos games, music, cars, family values, whatever.

They were the last incarnation of physical media that was popular. Of course mini-CD's came out later but they never took off.
    I remember when they first hit the market around 1984 maybe, it was a big deal but at the time, the CD's and players were very expensive.

Honestly though - right now CDs are kind of in that awkward stage where they are no longer relevant yet are not considered "vintage" the way LPs are right now.
    I remember in the 90's when LPs were in that same stage.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Evspecially since all of the 101 CD :s are round 70 minutes. That would be plenty vinyl-albums:)

s m @, dalem5467 and melstapler like this.
  14. Bemagnus

Evspecially since all of the 101 CD :s are round 70 minutes. That would be plenty vinyl-albums:)

melstapler likes this.
  15. Bemagnus

melstapler likes this.
  16. Bemagnus

Sorry about the multiple postings

17. George P

George P Notable Member

It's happened to me too. If you report the duplicates, the Gorts can delete them.

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Have you ever tried to listen to Boléro by Ravel on vinyl? The first 10 minutes are a nightmare because of unavoidable surface noise and the volume is so low.
    I have the CD and its my go to media for this piece. And most classical is the same. People who want to hear the music stick to CD.

ggjjr, Martyn, Bemagnus and 4 others like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I remember classical music being one of the biggest selling points of CD back in the day.

Shak Cohen and audiomixer like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

I remember all this. Here in the U.K., I bought my first VHS player in 1981. You could buy movies (I remember looking at The Exorcist and Jaws) and they were priced at £39.95. Over the next few years, certain titles could be bought for a little less, but the sell through market didn't really begin until around 1984. Then, movies were released for sale and rental. Usually the former cost around £20. Still a lot for a film back then. You wouldn't pay that for a Blu Ray even now!

Early UK titles for the sell through market were Raiders Of The Lost Ark and An Officer And A Gentleman.

Shak Cohen and Mbd77 like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Guess it still is:)

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I remember renting (!) a VCR from Radio Rentals in the army 1980s :eek:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

I was talking about what I've gathered from other recent threads on this topic. There are plenty of both CD lovers, and CD haters.

Grant likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

I bought mine out of my mum's catalogue. It cost more than £500, and was quite a 'basic' model at that. It took me over two years to pay it off! Soon after this, the 'heads' went. Rather than have it repaired I began renting one too. Nice Panasonic model. Better than the one I bought!:)

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  25. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

I will add that the same can be said for every other musical format too. People will either have a simple preference over the other, or a full blown hatred for the opposing formats which they don't like. Ahh, It's just natural I guess!

And call me ancient, but since we're talking VCRs. I still use one! Mostly to record physical backup copies of old footage, and maybe a movie or two here and there.
    And no, I'm not an old fart, I just don't buy into most modern technology. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.