Record Store Day 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panasoffkee

panasoffkee Forum Resident

Once again, Thank-you. It was the one and only item I wanted from that massive RSD list and the hardest to find.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  2. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

You probably already know this but they are listed on Ebay or Discogs. I know they are more money but maybe if you wait awhile you can pick one up cheap. Good luck with your search!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  3. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

There was a Leon Russel rsd release at my store last week

4. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I know on October 10th that that Sam records is releasing the thelonius monk les liasons dangerous "simple lp" without all the posters booklets etc......I believe the April 29th one will be the rsd equivalent.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I hope to get to it in the next few days. I'll report back.

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

7. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Throw another $15-20 shipping to the U.S. on top of that. Hardly an inviting option.

8. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

How can $15 for an $8 record be considered "the bottom dropping out"? That's nearly a 100% mark up.

9. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

This is the link to the RSD Box you are looking for Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960

10. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's list price or below for the UK and EU, which is where a lot of these are on sale. Some sellers are still optimistically asking for $100 or more. I don't know if anybody was stupid enough to actually pay that. Discogs doesn't record any sales for the RSD version yet, so the inflated prices that people were complaining about may well have no basis in reality whatsoever.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Yes. Spotted (and picked up) a copy at one of my local stores on the second day (didn't see it the day before.) Nice, deluxe packaging on this one, too.

Phishman, panasoffkee and Twinsfan007 like this.
  12. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Because no one is buying it at $18.

14. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Yes, of course I saw that. However, if you look at their other offerings, it is common to see a record listed only to find out that the limited run has been sold out. It clearly says, "out of stock". It doesn't say "more coming".

15. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I'm surprised at how few mentions of this album I found on the forum. I must admit that it was a bit of an impulse buy for me. The cover caught my eye with a sort of Lichtenstein/Studio Tan vibe and when I saw that the great saxophonist Charles Lloyd was credited as part of the band I had to take a chance. Very cool packaging and while I've not yet spun it the pressing looks to be solid (pressed at SST) and was mastered by Joe Lambert. Joshua Redman seems to be playing with them for live dates, another great clue for Jazz fanatics. Recorded live in the studio.

Fans of Afrobeat/Funk/Jazz/music should check this out as I'd guess there may be some leftovers due to obscurity, at least there were at my locals.

16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Walked in to Sister Ray today, asked about the Dennis Wilson LP, they had, I paid, I walked out. Now that's a successful RSD.

17. sanmarrb

sanmarrb Forum Resident

...just to throw in my two bits:

I went to my local shop around 8:30am or so, only because a road race had closed the street it was on and surrounding streets, making me thinking that it might give me an edge because, as it's just a short walk from my place, I wouldn't have to worry about parking on all these closed streets. There were about 15 or so folks in line to browse the exclusives. By the time I got to the front, I was able to get some of the titles I wanted, but some – the Andromeda Strain soundtrack, the Monk box, the Dolly 45 , the Nuggets comp – they only got one copy of and it was snagged already. No biggie – a buddy of mine got the Dolly for me elsewhere and the Andromeda Strain was on eBay and DustyGroove.com next morning for reasonable prices. There were a few titles I was interested in (the Bevis Front, the Link Wray, the Moondog), but were just too pricey for me to take a chance on.

Strangely, the Wednesday after RSD I was in another state on business and stopped in a local indie store. They had had a huge RSD, but still had a lot of stock. I heard the owner say to an employee "I want you to mark all the Record Store Day titles down to cost." FOUR DAYS AFTER THE EVENT. Snagged the Bevis Frond, Link Wray, Moondog, and the Nuggets comp at bargain prices. They had a copy of the Monk, too, which they did not discount, but which was already WAY cheaper than what it's going for on eBay currently.

So, that was odd. I've heard friends in retail say RSD is terrible because they feel obliged to stock as many exclusives as possible – which means spending an amount of money equal to their purchasing budgets for several months. It's crippling, and doesn't allow them to take in as many new releases by active or developing artists. I was certainly shocked to see this shop discounting stuff so quickly...

turnersmemo and KDubATX like this.
  18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I've been in contact w Sam Records. They have confirmed the release tomorrow at 12h CET.

Rich C likes this.
  19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Please do your buying in selling in the Classifieds section. If you are "helping someone out" with a transaction, even at cost, please do so privately.

Thank you.

Andy Pandy likes this.
  20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

21. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

You'll want to pick up this: Buy William Onyeabor - Who Is William Onyeabor? (Vinyl) at Discogs Marketplace

22. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

23. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I doubt that highly! One of the biggest sellers this year, not that this would be a surprise to anymore. Except maybe one person LOL

24. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Bah! CD's and records are just fine, but stuff like streaming is only for bathrooms. There will never be a Streaming Store Day and I will never ever partake in that technology. Physical media for me!

25. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Finally was able to finish off my RSD purchases. Was able to get a Thelonious Monk -Box Set from the UK and the Art Pepper Quartet from here in the States. Now it's time to patiently wait for the Bill Evan One Step release :-popcorn:

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.