Consumer Television (Broadcasters really dragging their feet) on 4K

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Litejazz53, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Because increased resolution is not only a solution in search of a problem, it's a distraction. Yes, the TV you linked to sounds great, but the price is so high because the yields are so low. And the yields are low because of the pixel density. If they concentrated on making the best 1080P OLED display they could, they could make a lot of them, and make them cheaply. Instead, they're killing themselves to make tiny pixels that nobody is going to see unless they are two feet from the screen.

It's like curved TVs. They made them because they could. In real life use, they're terrible for any purpose other than computer gaming.

jsayers, Vidiot and audiomixer like this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Here's why people were wrong in those instances but right about 4K, in my opinion: the law of diminishing returns.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

People are talking about 8K. Maybe a radiologist could use an 8K display to examine scans, but I can't see the point of 8K even in a theater on a 35' wide screen. I just heard the Imaging Sciences Foundation's Joe Kane this morning on Home Theater Geeks point out that you can't even tell the difference between 4K and 2K in a movie theater if the screen is perforated!

4. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Nope, try 4K gaming right now on a PS4 Pro or the Scorpio Xbox revision coming this fall. Big difference on offer that is obvious to anyone.

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

We're lucky here in Canada, as we have one 4K sports channel. (TSN). I was skeptical too until I saw the same game switched between 1080p & 4 K. What a difference. Watching World Soccer last summer, you could see the crowd in the background clear as day . Hockey is awesome, although they show very limited games at this time.

4K Netflix is also awesome, but again very limited at this time. I binge watched the whole "Breaking Bad" series again, thanks to 4k Netflix.

Rhapsody In Red and Deesky like this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll give you a partial credit on that one. When 4k only screens came out (ie, without the other UHD benefits we now have), I would agree with that comment, especially since very large format screens were not generally available. But times have moved on and huge screens are readily available and people are buying them. This is where pixel count does make a difference, not to mention better quality pixels brought about by the other aspects of the UHD spec.

The yields are really very good these days. In the past that had been a big problem and is why Samsung failed to come to market with their OLED technology. LG's alternative technology was much more robust and successful that they have no difficulty cranking out big screens.

The reason the wallpaper screen is costly is because it's at the vanguard of a new form-factor - ultra thin (aka wallpaper thickness) large format displays that can be 'pasted' on walls (and it has a high end sound system). You would expect something like that to be expensive. And you would also expect it to drop in price over time, just like all tech.

For that large wallpaper screen, the pixel density isn't high. In fact, if you keep the 4k pixel count constant and you increase the size of the display, the actual pixel density will go down! 4K in a 50" screen has a much higher pixel density than in a 75" screen size.

No one is killing anyone. As I said, they can make big screens easily now and pixel counts matter for large format screens.

It's not like that at all. Yes, they made bent screens as a marketing gimmick and as soon as they came out, I called it as such because of the plethora of obvious flaws. 4k is not a comparable development.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

:hide:

(I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the 4K promoters in this thread are the same folks who were gung-ho plasma.)

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't understand your comment about 4k 'promoters'. Objectively it's a new and superior standard by any measure. The specs promote themselves. The market has embraced it as have the international standards bodies. Whether you choose to avail yourself of it is up to you.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  9. Curved tvs are the worst possible screen for computer gaming due to the distortion the curve causes; straight lines aren't quite straight which is obvisouly not desirable.

10. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

4K OTA TV sets and pre purchased movies are going to do well. Especially for sporting events.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

How do you expect 4K on anything but discs, when Satellite and Cable can't even give us proper 780P that is not downrezzed? Reality here. Many small markets took ages to get locally originated HD over the air. Broadcast gear is not cheap, there isn't much in the way of usable used gear to fall back on for broadcasters. Don't expect broadcasters to be enthused about having to scrap barely paid for equipment for new gear.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Or the cable/phone companies wanting to supply the necessary bandwidth.

McLover likes this.
  13. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

Wow, did you hit the nail on the head!! We go out and buy these 4K sets, sold a bill of goods, and there is not enough 4K to shake a stick at.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why did you 'buy these 4k sets' if there was not enough content for your likes at the moment? Some research would have made you better informed. On the other hand, if you bought a 4k set recently, that would be your only mainstream option anyhow, as 2k sets are now obsolete (in the sense that they're not being produced anymore). So, you just have to wait for more content to become available over time, and even if it doesn't happen as quickly as you would like, you're not suffering because of it in any way.

15. bobbyhol

bobbyhol Forum Resident

Content providers aren't pushing for a move to 4K; this is purely driven by the electronics manufacturers. Perhaps you're not aware, but fewer than 10% of the feature films running in theatres today are available in 4k. If a theatre tells you they have 4k projectors, they're still more than likely only running 2K content on them most of the time. The studios simply don't finish their features in 4k or offer 4K versions of their newer titles with rare exceptions. As they continue to remaster DCP copies of their back catalogues for theatrical use, it's still 50/50 if they do them in 2K or 4k, even though anything shot on film is a natural for 4K.

McLover and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Transitions don't happen overnight. Currently the biggest push is coming from streaming services with their original programming. As streaming becomes increasingly popular and more is invested in original content, like Netflix is, 4k UHD content will also blossom. Then the movie studios will have to pull their fingers out and match the quality that the viewers expect.

The ratified UHD specification is barely a year old yet, with UHD capable bluray players being on the market since about last Christmas, and HDR capable wide color gamut TVs similarly recent, so why would anyone expect there to be tons of content available right now?

17. 3D on a UHD panel is bliss!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Joe Kane is a very sharp guy who knows a great deal about monitor calibration and color science.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

If you have the time, watch the discussion I linked.

20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Same old story-great new technology which ain't so great due to broadcasting catchup and limited bandwidth provided by the usual suspects. Get off of my lawn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.