Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had a nice 5.1 rig since 2003. I bought a few DVD-As over the first few years and occasionally played later issues ( Love, David Crosby , Super Furry Animals and others), n but I found that after playing them a couple times, I never pulled them out again.

It's cool many here are into 5.1 music. I found it interesting but in the end just meh.

Having said that, I love surround for movies.

Thelonious_Cube and Sidewinder43 like this.
  2. He was speaking about Satanic Majesty's Request An album I quite like.

Lownote30 likes this.
  3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Just listened via UK Spotify to the new remixes of Sgt Pepper and Little Help and it sounds really good, nice and clear !! :)

andybeau and Shaddam IV like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

5. Kim Olesen

Do you have premium?

6. B-Luna

B-Luna Active Member

They sound awesome, clear and punchy. But the bass is not completely centered, which is odd. But we already expected that from the previews, and overall they're great.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No just the free with Ads, I personally can't stand streaming but it is useful to hear before buying the physical product :) ... why ?

Kim Olesen likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

FYI, if you use Spotify's web browser, there are zero ads, even for free. :)

FJFP and Maidenpriest like this.
  9. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

One extra factor in the final mix may be any additional compression/limiting/other processing. I know sometimes they applied compression directly to individual instruments so it's baked in even on isolated tracks before bouncing, but then they may have applied it again when mixing down, so you're right that there's more than just the "density" differences.

10. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The problem with this, from every demonstration I've ever seen of demixing, is that the piano ceases to be a piano. The original recording, made with the best microphones and tape recording equipment on earth, becomes an approximation of a piano. If isolated as a solo track, that piano sounds a little different than the original.
    It was one thing, to me, to experiment with Hollywood Bowl. But all I wanted from Pepper was the premixes, and nothing more. That's what exists in exquisite quality.

AppleCorp3, Onder, slane and 3 others like this.
  12. B-Luna

B-Luna Active Member

Definitively.

ODIrony likes this.
  13. B-Luna

B-Luna Active Member

Do you really think so? Take Strawberry Fields 2015 mix for instance. The strings were demixed and spread around the mix, and IMO opinion they sound much more real and lush.

FJFP likes this.
  14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

All I am saying is that if you could compare an isolated demixed track to an isolated original, it wouldn't be the same thing. I don't mean the following sarcastically, but why not just overdub new strings if they sound good in stereo?
    The tapes are real. Once we get away from insisting on real, the un-reality will just keep getting bigger over time.

scoutbb and B-Luna like this.
  15. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

[Citation needed]

16. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

The strings exist in stereo (2 track) and was booted many years ago. Nothing needed to be "de-mixed".

I made a stereo strings version of SFF 15 years ago using the bootleg.

shmuckler, Paul H, B-Luna and 6 others like this.
  17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

As previously said, the strings weren't demixed, they flew them in from take 25 where they are in stereo on the multitrack, rather than take 26 where they were reduced to one track.

The biggest issue with the 2015 SFF mix is that the drum track for the second half of the song has been split and stereo-ized which sounds terrible. Surely they could have properly re-created the rhythm track in stereo from takes 15 and 24. The 4-track reel for that session supposedly still exists but has never been booted.

Just listened to the remixes of Pepper and Friends, they sound okay apart from the split backing vocals which Giles seems to love doing. Not sure if the intro noises on Pepper are truly stereo or demixed though. They apparently came from a recording George Martin did of the comedy group "Beyond the Fringe", so may exist in stereo somewhere but I'm not sure.

Thankfully the sessions outtakes seem to have avoided Giles' mixing "techniques"!

slane likes this.
  18. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

That's where "Free Now" has always been for me. It's the Beatles. I absolutely love that track.

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Except the crossfade into dialogue from earlier in the track (from the second vocal overdub track, not used for the main part of this presentation of take 9) on the title track.

Not a big deal, same thing happens on Anthology and on the Pet Sounds Sessions, etc. - good dialogue is good dialogue, even if it may be presented in a slightly misleading way if you don't notice the edits.

slane and Sean Murdock like this.
  20. Kim Olesen

I can't find them so i thought they might be a premium exclusive. Like you i can't stand streaming.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

When I bought a house last year I got my rear channel speakers mounted to the ceiling. Much more enjoyable now then when they were just behind my listening couch before.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I agree I would prefer they just mix from the final and premix tapes and not do any demixing. If all the session tapes still exist thst should give them enough to work with without demixing stuff originally recorded to a single track.

I won't pretend I will be able to tell whether they demixed or not, but that is my philosophical preference here (did not feel that way about H.Bowl).

slane likes this.
  23. Kim Olesen

If the results are good they can have swung a dead dog by it's tail over the mixing board while reciting death-polka litterature written by voodoo priests. I don't really care. If the results are good.

24. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I don't mind that stuff so much, I'd be much more annoyed if they decided to double the drum track or demix a rhythm track!

Mal likes this.
  25. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

If backing vocals are double-tracked, I would consider it malpractice to not spread them in a stereo remix. It greatly heightens the experience for me to hear the backing vocals in stereo. Horses for courses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.