Rick Wakeman Yes....he can do stand up.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tor33rpm, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There.... Thread Starter

If you missed this, I suggest you watch the Yes Hall of Fame induction. Alex and Geddy intro. You can do 2 things from there:

01) Watch it from beginning to end (my suggestion)
    or
    02) Skip to 13:45. Rick Wakeman brings down the house without touching a key.

2. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

He is quite witty - he is a regular on a talking heads show over here called Grumpy Old Men - he is usually funnier than the comedians they have on it.

The funniest musician I have seen live is Julian Cope (sorry, haven't searched for any YouTube links). I have seen many of this country's top comedians and he is way ahead of most of them.

3. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Rick is brilliant... my sides are aching... :biglaugh:

4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Not really the time or the place, was it... :rolleyes:

Gorgon and Carserguev like this.
  5. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Two of my favorite bands. That was a joy to watch.

Dave and Tor33rpm like this.
  6. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

The hall took so long to recognize these guys that the least they deserved was a Rick Wakeman kinda funny stand-up session.

wayneklein, reapers, GTOJUDGE and 3 others like this.
  7. Tor33rpm

And not a soul saw it coming!

willy likes this.
  8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, from what I understand, Wakeman's hogging the floor left Squire's wife with no time to speak. This also felt like sticking it to the touring version of Yes, with the ARW camp dominating the proceedings. Sad for us fans who were hoping for a thawing of relations for next year's 50th anniversary.

ShardEnder likes this.
  9. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

His tweets are very funny too.

willy likes this.
  10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I would pay to see him do a stand up routine.

Fullbug and Terry like this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

...maybe he'll quit the Day job?

12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It is a shame about Scottie Squire missing her chance to speak on behalf of Chris, but some of that time was also eaten up by Steve Howe's lengthy prepared remarks in which he congratulated Yes fans for having better taste than non-fans.

As a long time fan myself, the infighting breaks my heart. Both sides have pulled a few nasty maneuvers unbecoming the band's legacy. But at least they got it together long enough to perform their two signature songs. Whoever came up with having Steve play bass on "Owner...," I think it was a great idea. It solved two problems: who plays bass, and what does Steve do given Trevor's presence and his own distaste for the song. Then everyone went back to fuming at each other, with only dear old Bill silently above the fray.

Another induction moment was more gratifying - when it was ELO's turn, relations appeared to be genuinely warm between Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne. If there was any drama, they left it backstage.

Sneaky Pete, Tor33rpm and Wright like this.
  13. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Of course, it also gave Steve a chance to pay tribute to Chris, which I thought was really nice.

14. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Obviously the PC brigade had a good old whinge but yes... F'n brilliant!

Thievius, SirMarc, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Also, check out the super-awkward "press conference" after the ceremony:

Leave it to Yes to pack in that much tension in such a short segment! First, Steve literally does an extended face-palm when Rick starts going on about his routine. Then Rick mentions that his ARW compatriots knew what was coming, with the implication that the rest were unprepared - as if sticking it to them with a "gotcha". He then takes care to underline that this was a one-off, by using the word "one-off" four times in ten seconds. Translation: "I have no desire whatsoever to play with those other guys again." Then Jon gives a couple of silly answers to the rest of the questions, while Steve tries to hide behind Alan at 1:22.

I mean, these guys...

16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yeah, because it's so PC to question the appropriateness of telling dirty jokes in front of a ten-year old (Squire's daughter, who was also onstage)... :rolleyes:

Wounded Land and Carserguev like this.
  17. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

It's rock and roll for ****'s sake! If you take your kid to a rock and roll event, don't be surprised! In any case, I know that the Hall Of Fame is not like that at all so more power to Rick for putting some of the Rock And Roll into the Hall Of Fame. I personally saw it as a well crafter revenge and a V sign directed at the institutions which represent the snobbery that kept Yes out of this sort of thing for so long.

GoodKitty, Dave, Sneaky Pete and 8 others like this.
  18. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Sorry, I just don't see it. To me, it was simply embarrassing. And I never saw Wakeman as the embodiment of rock and roll. "Arthur on Ice," anyone?

bicyclops, Comet01 and Carserguev like this.
  19. I was left feeling very conflicted about Rick's comedy routine during the induction ceremony, as I'm just as much a fan of his "grumpy old man" persona and jokes than the music he's most well known for. My problem was that even someone not particularly familiar with his speeches would have recognised the part about where he lost his virginity being a gag he's used countless times before, and the whole routine was definitely intended to eat into the time of other attendees... Steve's body language in that backstage video speaks volumes of how it went down with his own faction, despite the mostly diplomatic actions of Alan White, who seemed to be having enough of a hard time managing a few stairs, quite sadly. Although it seemed as if Scotty didn't want to give a speech in the absence of Chris Squire based on her own visible actions and a later social media comment (which I suspect only a handful of those watching the actual event probably noticed), she would have been unlikely to get a chance because a timer had long since run out by the end of Wakeman's somewhat unexpected stand up showboating. After claiming he'd only attend once the organisers properly honoured Chris by letting his widow speak, it puzzles me as to why Rick then proceeded to steal the spotlight to such a point she wasn't actually able to! Also, while it's likely most involved with both Yes camps knew what to expect from their colleague, I can only imagine what Xilan - Chris' young daughter - made of the language. I certainly don't expect figures in the rock and roll world to behave for such an occasion, but Rick was so out of place that night, and I'm fairly sure he's done more harm than good to the already damaged relationships between ARW and Steve Howe's own version of Yes. For the record, I consider both equally of merit for different reasons, though I still hold out for some kind of reunion ahead of their 50th anniversary. As with ELO's turn that same day, isn't it a shame when you think of what could have been?

20. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

Didn't make it through a minute,i would rather just remember them as they were making great music without all of this senior citizen BS

Jvalvano likes this.
  21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood don't have a relationship issue - it's Bev Bevan and Lynne who don't speak.

Comet01 likes this.
  22. Tor33rpm

I understand. IMHO, it is the RRHOF. I don't take them very seriously. To me, it is more of a museum, if anything. If Yes and Rush were inducted years ago, I think I'd have more respect for The Hall. Alex Lifeson's acceptance speech pretty much summed it all up. I think Rick felt the same way. One thing is certain, Squire should have been recognized.

ShardEnder likes this.
  23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

If he did a comedy show I would go. Funny

pool_of_tears likes this.
  24. Very funny guy! Thanks! He also is a fair to good musician in his day job.;)

I had no idea such a talent is also that funny too. Well, at least one of them has a sense of humor.

25. Yes, Rush and ELO all seemed to share the same "too little, too late" sentiment when it came to their inductions. The Hall in general has lost so much credibility in recent years with the Rock and Roll audience whose favourite artists it's supposed to honour by letting in some fairly obscure choices rather than the more obvious remaining dinosaurs, which is a term I use with the greatest of respect. In my opinion, the organisers have long since lost touch of what is expected of them, and phoned-in acceptance speeches from bands with absent key members will only become more commonplace while this continues...

P.S. Under the right circumstances, I'd definitely think about going to see Rick in a one-man setting where he combines his obvious musical and comedic skills.

RangerXT and Dog Ear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.