I need good LP Outer sleeves - Part 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

for now I want try first the bagsunlimied Polypropylene, why? one thing that catch my attention is they have even 3 or 4 different of each 7 and 12, anyones has tried that ones? LP Vinyl Record Poly Sleeves. Use to cover 12"/ 33-1/3rpm records.

sleevecity have just ONE sleeve with flap for 12 inch and that's it, I try later maybe ;)

check this codes on the site, are the Polypropylene.

33 RPM
    ===
    spplp716r
    spplp15r
    spplp1234r
    spplp1313r

45 RPM
    ===
    spp45r
    spp712r
    spp45gfr

gosh! :sigh::winkgrin: at the end I'll try it possible all sleeves in the market lol...

I continue updated...

One thing is for sure: the good materials are Polypropylene or even better Mylar, anything inferior to that 2 materials is very bad! like POLYETHYLENE, PVC etc... not good for long storage and good protection for paper.

ps: of course all my comments are based on my personal preference and what I see good or bad.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. stenway

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. stenway

Update, I got samples from BagsUnlimited, I get all POLYPROPYLENE material sleeves for 12, 7, 10, and I really like them!
    • Are thing 1.5 but I like of that way, I think for records I don't need a extremely solid sleeve like the 2 mil Mylar for comics.
    • The glue works well, you can open and close easy without leaves pieces of glue on the flap,
    • There's 4 different sizes for 12's and 3 for 7inches, so there's a different sizes for gatefolds MM jazz albums, gatefolds and standards records etc.
    • I see they don't get scratches easily... (the old Blake Sleeves gets scratches so easy and over the time looks very bad)
    • Prices are good too, around $20 per 100.
    • Great service from bagsunlimited.
    So overall... I think I stop looking for sleeves, a combination of BagsUnlimited plus maybe the NON flaps from ClearBags works for me. I'll show later more in detail with real pictures and examples of each size etc, ;)

waaguirr likes this.
  4. I buy Japanese resealable sleeves from Elusive Disc. I've put about 1000 records into them of various sizes/ 12",10",7" I can assure you the ones they stock do not have any residue on them. The sticky stuff does not transfer to the flap. None of them have split on me yet.

My 2 complaints so far are: the 10" are a tight fit for double albums like the Radiohead - Kid A and Sometimes the flap gets crinkled when sliding the records back onto the shelf with other records (but that is due to user error).

Outer Sleeves-Elusive Disc

Edit* Being crystal clear they can make record jackets pop when looking at them on a shelf.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  5. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Wow this is much harder than I thought. I just use the Sleeve City .5mil. I just always have all my open ends tucked in, record in inner sleeve, inner sleeve in jacket, jacket in outer cover with no open ends to any opening. I hate messing with flaps. I have some that sit around like this for years, pull them out play them no issues. ?

BuddhaBob likes this.
  6. stenway

About Elusive Disc:

First, good about the NO residue and NO sticky stuff transfer to the flap; that is a major problem in all Sleeves, specially the clearbags.com, believe are the worst, sticky is soooo hard to open and all residues goes to the flap; About the bagsunlimited I try for around 3 hours now, and I see some residue but is not too hard even you can remove it with pass a finger, you can open and close the sleeve easy, not great! but MUCH better than clearbags and others that I try.

I still don't try the Elusives, why?

1. I need good LP Outer sleeves

2. my BIG question always is, are exactly like this: Japanese Resealable Vinyl LP Outer Sleeves (100) | Shop Music Direct or this 100 - Vinyl Record Resealable 0.04mm LP Outer Sleeves For 12" LP Made in Japan if yes, I pass! why? ALL those sleeves with japan characters in the adhesive http://www.elusivedisc.com/Images/jpnouterlpcloseup.jpg that I try on the past, have some oil/cloud on... you can pass the fingers and remove it, see here: I need good LP Outer sleeves - Part 2 , I bet that is dangerous for the paper, like the previous member say on the link 1. have some cloud thing that you can remove when your fingers. I really don't know if those 2 are the same that elusive disc but looks like.

3. they claims that are Mylar, I'm almost sure that is not true, I bet is POLYPROPYLENE or something related; I don't have a problem that are made of POLYPROPYLENE, but I just think that is not true Mylar.

4. price, $37 + shipping vs $20 free shipping from others, but well yes if works the price is not extremely high, I just say that are more expensive than others.

5. just ONE! size? I bet some gatefolds don't fit at all, or some standard have a lot space around.

Overall now I want try it lol! but I'm almost sure that are the SAME! thing than the musicdirect and the ebay, that cloud problem is not good at all.

7. stenway

yes! is not easy... a lot different things one, I resume 3 things in: Material, Size, Flap or NO Flap, if Flap adhesive sticky works? and well Price.

actually I hate the sticky with flaps but I really don't like have the records exposed, like I said in previous, I had a humidity problem and thanks to the flaps some records are save, actually even with flap some mold pass inside, but just some... I bet if I was use flapless sleeves the records gets very damaged, so even that I resolve the humidity problem I continue use sleeves with flap.

also I like put my records SIT on the flap side, of that way you can Bend the sleeve, with sleeves without flap you bend the sleeve very easy, I show you later in pics, is really hard to me explain some things with words (an english also english is not native language hehe).

8. stenway

Oh! I forget say, the adhesive on the Japanese Resealable Vinyl LP Outer Sleeves (100) | Shop Music Direct are the best that I found, you can open and close the sleeve as many you want without leave any single piece of glue! also the glue don't loose power overtime, is a really the best that I found for that, but again not happy with the cloud issue, so I pass on that ones.

Overall I bet all sleeves one the market are made in japan or china, clearbags made in china, bagsunlimited too... maybe all from related fabrics, so some adhesives vary depends of the fabric. By example I discuss a little with bagsunlimited about that thing, and they say "well the adhesive not depends of us, bags are made in china, and comes like that, we can't do anything"

9. I can say from experience, the ones I mentioned in my post, absolutely do not have any residue on them. They are high quality.

I've tried some of the generic ones and heavy thickness polypropelene ones and I believe you get what you pay for. The cheap resealable kind may suffer from the things you mentioned in the OP. I've had some split on the seems.

A few things I dont like about the open sleeve design are: 1) they are open and dust, grime, junk, hair, moisture, etc can find a way in 2) I get annoyed when the records slide around taking them on/off the shelf with them. The mylar type are slick 3) they are translucent and obscure the album covers

While I cant say I know for certain they are made of Mylar, they definitely arent the rubbery poly types I come across in the past. They are almost like cellophane but less crinkly and much thicker, stronger.

I dont have any issue putting Gatefolds in the 12" sleeves infact I think they have a fraction more room then other sleeve's I've used including the poly types. They are rigid and very smooth, making records slide in and out easier.

You could call the number on the store website if you have any questions or doubt me. I'm just trying to pass along what I learned through trial and error.

If anyone have used Elusive Disc's Japanese sleeves vs some other company I'd love to hear the comparison.

10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I used the BagsUnlimited resealable outer sleeves years ago and after awhile they got all shrunk & wrinkly plus the adhesive dries out and gets gummy. :thumbsdow

11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Oh wow, I remember ordering those one time and had the exact same thing happen. They turned FUNKY!

AaronW likes this.
  12. stenway

Thanks, first I no doubt of you ;) I just say what other say in previous posts; actually I'm curious of the elusives, I want try it!

I agree with all that you mention on the flapless sleeves, I don't like my records exposed to all that problems, but remember even with the flap the mold can pass inside and leave foxing (brown spots) on the paper, but well that is another topic for prevent mold, etc... I'll show later my storage and how I prevent that.

Well maybe the Elusives are totally different of the 2 other japaneses cloudy that I mention, If I try I let you know, I still have samples of that two.

I got your point too, Mylar or not mylar is not problem, if its close I'm happy with; by the way I have real mylar D sleeves for comics, are the best! sadly the company not make for records, well only make 13x13 inch for records, extremely big and expensive... E. Gerber Products, LLC. - Item Listing the owner even say "records are not my biz, just comics" so I pass on that ones too.

I forget say, the best sizes that I ever found are the clearbags aka: blake sleeves Record Album Sleeves - LP Covers - Frost and Clear | ClearBags they have two, for standard and gatefolds, for 7 inch they have just one size, fits for almost all singles except moderns that are a little more bigger.

Also, I do an experiment: is possible remove for complete the adhesive strip from a sleeve? yes, you can remove it... of that way you have flap with no adhesive at all, how can close it? just use a piece of tape but takes time! zzz.

13. The sleeves from Elusive, the adhesive is not gummy and doesn't come off. It might with some kind of chemical. I think if anything it may dry out over time, none of mine have yet however. About the size, they are more then adequate for the normal gatefold. I have put albums with 3 discs in them as well. There is about a quarter inch space after gatefold albums are in and the flap closed. I cant comment on ClearBags.

You shouldn't ever need to use a piece of tape with these sleeves. Also, Im going to reiterate these are thicker and stiffer than the generic "japanese" sleeves I bought elsewhere online. I think you won't regret it if you bought a package. For the cost of an LP or 2, you can have piece of mind protecting 100 records. I also, buy the MoFi inners from them, but you can find those elsewhere easily.

14. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Those are exactly what I use for inner and outer sleeves.

DeRosa likes this.
  15. I took a few photos of 2 different resealable sleeves. The album in red is some generic cheap kind and the one in blue is the Elusive Disc Japanese variety. The red album is a basic album jacket holding one record. The blue album is a gatefold, with bonus cd, stickers and stuff... You can see that there is a plenty of room in for Gatefolded albums. The picture showing the adhesive, the Japanese sleeve looks hazy but that is because of the lighting. It is actually crystal clear, and if you look closely you can see how flimsy, crinkly the cheap one is. Also the adhesive on the cheap one is terrible. I've opened and resealed the Japanese sleeve many times without issue.

Sleeve.jpg - Click to see more photos
    Sleeve2.jpg - Click to see more photos
    Sleeve3.jpg - Click to see more photos

16. stenway

hey! great pics!! really thank you that helps (because I think elusivedisc don't want send me samples).

first, yes! the problem on the red is the problem that I found in almost all sleeves, that adhesive is too hard and leave residues and destroy the flaps,

1. the clearbags Blake Sleeves are like that, great material and sizes but very bad adhesive
    2. the bagsunlimited well are not like bad as clearbags but still leaves some adhesive and adhesive loose power easy

ok! about the japanese elusive, here's the thing: yes! that's the adhesive strip that I talk that is the best that I've found, is exactly the same as the music direct, even in pictures I know that is, yes you can open and close many times without problems; so the hard part is determinate if those elusive ARE the same as the musicdirects, man! really looks like the musicdirects... but well you say that yours don't have that ghosty thing that you can remove with fingers, or maybe I got a bad batch from musicdirect... mmm

mmm, ok now the part of depends of the taste of each person, the size!, for you are ok, but well looks like too much size even for a gatefold, don't you think? I bet that a normal record even have more space, I see too much space on the top... but well is good that fit for a gatefolds and normal.

but yes, it seems you are the 1st person that understand me about the DANM ADHESIVE STRIP problem.

by the way, I'm a big fan and collector of mazzy star, and I still don't have that Hope album, I can't believe it haha, is a shame because I could use the same album to show examples of the sleeves.

I show pictures soon of all that I have.

Also, I left this video of clearbags

again really perfect sizes! they think a lot about the sizes because was made by indication for the guy called Blake, really great 2mil material (Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP)), but AWFUL ADHESIVE STRIP, after one or two uses, glue stay transfer to the flap, such a shame!

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  17. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I got the same Japanese resealable sleeves. The only problem is the sticky strip may peel off from the sleeve over time.

18. stenway

please specify which japanese's because we are discuss at least 3 here:
    Elusive, MusicDirect, Ebay Seller (I confirm that musicdirect and ebay seller are different but made of the same material).

19. Paul Chang

I bought them from an on-line store other than those three. But they look the same as those sold by Elusive Disc (image below) and Music Direct.
    [​IMG]

20. stenway

this company?

Site: Far West Record Supply « Japanese Resealable Polypropylene Sleeves «

Facebook: Far West Record Supply

if yes, they ask me this:

Our Japanese Resealable sleeves look to be the same ones that Music Direct and Elusivedisc have.
    They are a crystal clear Polypropylene sleeve with the patented-peel off strips on the back of the sleeves. The 12" sleeves are 2.0 MILS and the 7" & 10" are 1.6 MILS.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  21. Paul Chang

I bought my Japanese resealable sleeves from the now defunct Red Trumpet quite a few years ago. I take another look at them. Instead of "PAT." they have "PAT." and "PAT. P." alternating across the strip. At the time the patent was probably still pending. They don't seem to have the "clouding" or "oil dust" issue. Maybe that's a problem of some recent batches.

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

i like outer sleeve covers, but i think they are all overpriced! its a piece of thin plastic they should be selling for 20 or 50 cents each!!

23. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

PAT." they have "PAT." and "PAT. P." alternating across the strip. At the time the patent was probably still pending
    PAT is not patent

Photographic Activity Test (PAT)

[​IMG]The Photographic Activity Test, or PAT, is an international standard test (ISO18916) for evaluating photo-storage and display products. Developed by IPI, this test explores interactions between photographic images and the enclosures in which they are stored. The PAT is routinely used to test papers, adhesives, inks, glass and framing components, sleeving materials, labels, photo albums, scrapbooking supplies and embellishments, as well as other materials upon request. This test can be performed on products in development as well as on materials already in use in collections.

Gumboo likes this.
  24. So far none of mine have but who knows... One thing I heard was there are knock offs to real Japanese sleeves, dont know if that is true or not. All I can say is I'm very satisfied with the ones Elusive Disc sells. At first I thought they were overpriced compared to some other stores, but once I saw them I feel its a minor investment at less than .50 cents a piece.

25. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I don't buy my outersleeves online. I just buy my from my local and no idea where or brand he gets at his store. They are nice and sturdy and cost me 20cents a piece. I usually buy $5 worth of them at a time. 25 of them usually last me a few months. So that means I buy about 25 records in 3 to 4 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.