Do you have a DVD player or Blu-Ray player?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I held out long as I could. When I saw some discs with LOADS of bonus features, I had to jump in. And this comes from someone watching on a 10yr old Philips 32" 720 panel. Would love to see some things on a 4K panel. Must be incredible.

2. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Both. The DVD player also plays SACD and DVD-Audio, so no need to replace it. Often have films or TV box sets in both players at the same time.

3. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have a 12 year old phillips 28". It weight about 4 stone :kilroy:

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Accumulating too many blu rays/DVDs, waiting for 4K discs price to come down ( used)...I can wait. :)
    In the meantime more funky storage shelves to be built.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Now that the Oppo 103 and 105 are not the newest kids on the block, I think I'll jump in and grab a deal on one. I like coming in a little later and paying less.

andybeau and kanakaris like this.
  6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I have 2 blu-ray players which are also DVD players so...both. Plus 2 other dvd players if you count my laptop and the cd player I have that plays dvd as well. But if I watch a dvd its on the blu-ray.

7. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I have a Blu-ray player that plays DVDs. If there were Blu-ray discs to supplant the DVDs, I wouldn't have the DVDs anymore. The Blu-ray picture, when mastered properly, completely annihilates the DVD equivalent.

Ed

Matt Richardson likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Well said!

I buy DVDs all the time, and they seem to be selling as well as, if not better than, Blu-Ray discs, at least from what I'm seeing...

Rocker likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

I own a Sanyo HD-TV I purchased about 11 years ago... It still works/plays great, but it's heavy, weighing about 90 pounds...

10. Grand_Ennui

I bought a Blu-Ray player over a year ago with intentions of having it available when I purchased The Monkees TV series on Blu-Ray... I've yet to buy The Monkees series, and the Blu-Ray player is still unopened/hooked up...

So, right now I'm still using only standard DVD players...

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Still use both machines, Blu-ray is 1.5 yro.

12. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Almost nothing in my collection would benefit Blu-ray, they're all stuck at 480p VideoTape, so I have almost no need for a Blu-ray Player.

13. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

Two of my three DVD players also play Blue-ray, however I usually rent and buy normal DVDs. I only buy or rent Blue-ray if I plan to watch on my 55" TV or it's a movie that needs the resolution (Sci-Fi, or I want the extra Blue-ray-only features, etc.). For normal talking head movies, comedies, etc., DVD is fine to me.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

A DVD player that I never use anymore.

15. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Sony Blu-ray player here, which I use for dvd and Blu-ray. I buy all movies on Blu, and TV series (if they are available and are worth it - like Lost or the John Steed/Emma Peel Avengers). I usually only buy DVD's of TV show box sets when picture quality isn't a vital ingredient - like comedy shows.

16. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

I have a Blu-ray player and still buy DVDs as well as Blu-rays.

At the moment I'm in the process of ripping all my DVDs and Blu-rays to a NAS for streaming and more shelf space.

All discs will be boxed and stored in loft, just in case.

17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

If nothing else I'd use the blu-ray player to upscale my DVDs.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

4 DVD players (1 standard player, 2 devices in my computer, Xbox 360) and 2 BluRay (1 device in my computer, and Xbox One)

19. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I have a Blu-Ray player on the living room TV and a DVD player on the TV in our upstairs bedroom.

My Blu-Ray collection consists of exactly one disc: "The Delta Force" with Chuck Norris. :D

20. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

External DVD player is connected to the Mac, used for 'archiving' purposes. Blu Ray players are connected to the TV's.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must admit those 4K covers sure look tempting. Blu rays have cheap art design in comparison.

22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

One (1) multi-disc player, part of a home theatre system.

23. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I have all Blu-ray players, which of course are DVD players as well.:D

24. DVD only. I have never even watched a Blu-ray disc... anywhere!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Initially purchased a Sony Blu-Ray player (the movie Star Trek gave me the push to take the plunge) and later purchased a PS3 (purchased the remote to make it a fully functional Blu-Player). Although I've purchased a few Blu-Ray discs, in most cases the DVD is good enough. One quirk I've noticed with my Blu-Ray player is that some movies that were playing on my player are not recognized when I turn the player back on even though I haven't removed the disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.