Jonathan Demme dead of cancer at 73

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

There's apparently a lot quality copy "out there" somewhere...

2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This leaked (again) the day after he died.

4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I had the pleasure of attending a talk by Mr. Demme presented by the College of Dupage in Illinois waaaaay waaaay back in the spring of 1989. The professor running the film program was pretty hip and was able to bring in Jonathan Demme for the evening. It was quite the fun evening and even then he spoke about how Swing Shift got away from him after the first edit. I'll paraphrase, but he was forced to direct the additional scenes with Goldie, Kurt, & Ed Harris. I he pretty much said that the direction by him was two words "action" & "cut"!

There's a good clip on youtube where Mr. Demme describes how Ed Harris saved his directorial career and "Stop Making Sense" by faking a headache during the reshoots for Swing Shift.

If anyone gets a chance they should check out the American Playhouse PBS short film "Who Am I This Time" directed by Demme and staring Christopher Walken, Susan Sarandon, & character actor (hey I know that guy!) Robert Ridgley.

Bill Hart likes this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great talent. RIP.

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

He had such a unique style-the way his characters would talk directly into the camera, to you, really sucked you in. And SMS is the greatest concert film of all time. RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.