Denon AVR X3300W (105wpc)or Mcintosh 2505 (50wpc)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pelican Bay, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelican Bay

Pelican Bay New Member Thread Starter

I already have the Denon AVR X3300W which is rated at 105 WPC but I have a chance to obtain a vintage solid state Mcintosh 2505 amplifier rated at 50 WPC.

Which is better for driving a quality pair of floor standing speakers with:

Frequency response (+/-3dB) 33Hz - 40kHz
    Low frequency point (-6dB) 26Hz
    Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 93dB
    Nominal impedance 8Ω
    Minimum impedance 3.3Ω
    Crossover frequency 230Hz / 2200Hz
    Recommended amplifier power 40 - 400W

Is the Denon AVR sufficient or even better since it provides more power?

2. Pelican Bay

EDIT: What about the Mcintosh MC2105? I might have a chance to get one of these too.

210 watts RMS continuous power stereo, 105 watts per channel. Both channels operating into 4 ohms, 8 ohms or 16 ohm loads.

3. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

That Denon weighs around 24 pounds total. The 2505 is 38 pounds and the 2105 is at 57. The power supplies in the Mac amps are much more robust than that Denon and the McIntoshs can handle different impedances. I would choose a stereo amp over an AVR unit every time.

Manimal likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McIntosh every time, and when Denon AVR is in landfill and it's ten replacements, your McIntosh will still be making music. And sounding way better. McIntosh well cared for is the closest thing in audio to forever.

Eigenvector, Manimal and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Quality stereo amp over AVR everyday of the week.

McLover likes this.
  6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

All I can say is I love my MC2505!

A 2105 isn't a bad idea either if you wanna future proof yourself a bit, you never know what you might want to drive in 10, 20 years - you might not ever need the extra power, but you'll miss it if/when you do.

McLover likes this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Use them both! i.e. AVR-X3300W as a pre-amp, feeding the MC 2105. Could be a killer combo.

Signed,
    McIntosh and Denon owner ;)

Manimal likes this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Those are easy speakers to drive. I've owned a McIntosh 2505 and loved it, but keep in mind either of those McIntosh amps are likely going to need expensive restoration, and are big heavy items that might need to be shipped to where the expensive restoration will take place.

And until said work is done, the Denon, which is a current model and no slouch, might actually sound better.

So in short, the McIntosh amps have a higher ceiling then the Denon, but there's no assurance you could just buy one, plug it in, and expect it to instantly outperform the Denon.

SamS likes this.
  9. Pelican Bay

As an audio/video noob I thank you guys for the insight and knowledge. Since I live in the Bay Area, CA are there any local and reputable restorers or am I better off shipping the old Mc's to AudioClassics in NYC?

The Denon feels like a piece of junk compared to the Mcintosh amps. But yeah, it has all the latest bells and whistles and Audyssey XT32 which appealed to me, not to mention the AVR being able to work well with late model 4K TV.

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I live in the Bay Area and shipped my MC2505 across the country to Audioclassics, if that's any indication. Mostly because I'd worked with them before and find them to be a fast, affordable, and hassle-free experience.

Locally, the Mill Valley McIntosh dealer has a service department, I've had them replace lights on more modern Mc amps but am not sure if they work on vintage gear. Champlifier in Alameda is supposed to be good. I used R&B Electronics on the Peninsula and they were overpriced and terrible.

11. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

I heartily agree!
    I have a $50 Denon DRA 37 receiver from Circuit City's demo table. Using the Denon's Pre-Outs to run a MC2205. The Denon preamp is dead quiet and handles standard basic line inputs. No Phono, my moving coil phono stage goes to a line input. Been working great for . . . how long ago was Circuit City?
    If the Mac should ever need to come out the Denon has 50 watts/per, more than enough to run my Klipsch.

Brent Maeder likes this.
  12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Past owner and lover of Denon AVR. In this instance if I had to choose it would be the Macintosh. Different flavors of ice cream:)

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My MC 2505-2 and my MX 114 are my main power amplifier and preamplifier/tuner.

MrRom92 likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Get a McIntosh preamp or tuner/preamp and it sounds better than the Denon ever will on music.

15. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

I have a MC 250 which is the 2505 without the meters.....the first gen SS McIntosh produced. I have had three audio dealers (not McDealers) tell me it may be the best 50 wpc (actually more like 65-72) solid state amp ever built (the MC2505 also). Pair it with a nice tube preamp (like a used Eastern Electric Minimax for around $800) and you'll be in love.......

McLover likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I use a two restored McIntosh pieces of equipment in my solid state set up, a C29 preamp and MC2105 amp. I've never regretted the McIntosh purchase.

17. Brent Maeder

Brent Maeder Active Member

I have a Denon AVR-2500 that I use as a preamp and it does an awesome job........I run one turntable into a Lounge Audio Phono Preamp and then into a line input, while running another table directly to the phono section of the AVR-2500 with excellent results........hope that helps.

18. PeteD

PeteD New Member

I'd like to jump in this with an Denon AVR2313CI volume question. Using this AVR into 5.1 into Definitive Technologies BP8060's speakers. These purchases were not paired by any means. Volume scale is 0 -100 on receiver. Under typical, movie disc, movie streaming, tele inputs the volume 0 -50 is virtually nothing; barely audible at 60 at a distance of 1-foot, at 85 sound / stage fills the 16 x 20 foot room sufficiently. More often than not movies are playback at 90. The AVR is well ventilated and is fairly warm but not hot to touch at this volume. So from a volume of 0 - 70ish there is very little sound gain to the ear but then 75 - 90 a large step change occurs. I've gone to 95 and no clipping was present. For sure the room is movie- theater loud at 90 and the rears provide a little kick as expected. I've reset the mic speaker set up recently. Not well versed in speaker - amp pairing but I'm wondering if repeatedly driving the AV to near maximum volume levels is prematurely damaging the back end of this unit? Or is the power output of this AVR under rated for these speaker sensitivity / capability? Or the reverse AVR output over the speaker capability? If it is a power shortfall I've read that you can supplement this power with a 2-channel amp. If that is the case will this supplement actually push volume into the speakers at lower levels? I have an Acurus DIA100 available but cannot determine the correct outputs / AVR inputs to try this out and before doing so would appreciate responses to my questions. I'm open to replacing the Denon as I've other rooms for its use with small 2-channel Spendors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.