Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace coming on 180g & SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmil, Feb 23, 2017.

1. marmil

marmil It's such a long story... Thread Starter

Interesting. I think I have a orig UK copy too (in storage). Next time I go there I'll try to find it. I don't remember the SQ on it. But the new one is wonderful!

IR Shane likes this.
  2. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Still no arrival date for the SACD.
    Originally I think it was May 6th.
    Seriously jonesin' to hear this.

IR Shane, gramfan and art like this.
  3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That "review" in Stereophile isn't much of a review of the album more of mini-life history of Gram Parsons which I'm guessing any fan already knows all to well.
    I guess we have to assume that since it's The Recording of The Month it's great.
    I guess.
    I'll listen to you guys.

IR Shane likes this.
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I've never heard a decent version of this album until this IR vinyl reissue - and while it's seminal country-rock, it ain't some kind of audiophile extravaganza. Every version I've heard, though, digital or not, seemed to have harsh trebles and lack of anything approaching bass in the audible spectrum. This version balances it all out much better, from vocals on down.

IR Shane, Randy S and mongo like this.
  5. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I can't wait to hear mine. It's winging its way across the Atlantic as we speak. The Edsel 80s reissue is my current preferred version - I am expecting this one to blow that out of the water.

IR Shane likes this.
  6. marmil

Does anyone know who "Goldberg" is who gets a writing credit on "Do You Know How It Feels"?

7. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Barry

Barry Goldberg - Wikipedia

8. marmil

9. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

I'm no diehard collector, but I will say that this version is easily the best this album has ever sounded to me. Just an absolute pleasure, well-balanced, nice piano - and the throat-clearing remains, of course.

IR Shane and DPC like this.
  10. marmil

Throat clearing?

11. Spinning mine now, sounds vastly improved over my A&M original (unfortunately not the Monarch...). Slide guitar comes through much better - vocals are now distinguishable, lots of grain removed. Highly recommend this one!

IR Shane, DPC and jamesmaya like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have an early A&M pressing (not a Monarch) and I compared it with this reissue. My A&M copy sounded better in every way imaginable. IMHO if you can get an early pressing in good condition there is no need to bother with this.

13. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Another IR winner...shames my weak silver reussue. Will go well with my 2-eye Sweetheart (the only Byrds I listen to...).
    Would really dig a GP/Grievous from IR, but probably ain't gonna happen,
    Shane (country) rocks!

IR Shane and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  14. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

In the last chorus of "Christine's Tune", Gram goes for a high note and clears his throat, leaving generations of fans to ask "why would they leave that in there?"

15. Never noticed this before, I'm gonna be listening for it now.

IR Shane likes this.
  16. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I have that. It was one of the first cds/albums I ever bought by way of Ebay. It must have been at least 15 years ago. I put some cash in an envelope, mailed it to some guy in Holland, and he sent me the cd.

billnunan likes this.
  17. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I cannot agree with this assessment at all, FWIW. I haven't heard the Monarch pressing, but every A&M version I've heard is harsh on top and towards the middle range, and has virtually no bass to speak of. I'm not saying we all don't have our preferences and are of course welcome to them, but finding a quietly-playing earlier version of this album is often problematic.

IR Shane and 5-String like this.
  18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Speaking of Bass, I just got thru listening to my IR Burritos LP. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, the Bass is excellent on this current release. :righton:

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Are you talking about the cd? I was talking about the LP. This is what I was comparing the new reissue with:

The Flying Burrito Bros - The Gilded Palace Of Sin

20. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Yes, cd.

21. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Should I pull the trigger on this lp?..Have a wonderful Monarch original of this which sounds fab..

22. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

I picked up the "4mwb" pressing for 15 bucks!
    No issues.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This one eats the 5 Dudes With Lambchops up. No contest.

IR Shane and Clonesteak like this.
  24. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Pretty sure their albums are cd put on vinyl.
    I suggest if you really like this album to upgrade to the IR release. I have come to a point when I choose quality over quantity and not necessarily take the least expensive.
    If you love your copy and like it then enjoy it.

IR Shane and Yayastone like this.
  25. I agree with the quality over quantity assessment. Previously I would purchase a wide variety of albums on vinyl - now I tend to focus more on items that were strictly kept in the analog domain (not trying to get into the analog vs. digital debate here) and were done with care and concern for the final product. There are many digital recordings and masterings that sound great, but, when you have the opportunity to purchase something done with care directly from the source, where the label is transparent about details, I would invest my money here first. I also find (on my stereo, of course, we all have different ears and feelings) that the well done reissues best the original pressings.

IR Shane and Mateo Sanboval like this.