Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

This album reminds me of the "POWER TO ALL OUR FRIENDS" compilation released in 1973. It gathers together recent A-sides and B-sides, and adds the odd EP and album track. All in all a very good album. And yes, had this been released in the US at the time, it might have made more of an impact than the "IT´S ALL IN THE GAME" album. "TIME IN BETWEEN" is one of several forgotten minor greats on this album.

A whole album of ballads is a risky proposition, and few artists can pull it off. Cliff was not one of them at the time. (He might have been able to do them justice in his late 70s/80s heyday.)

Thank you for all the information. :agree:

I also had a time when I only played Cliff. I still play him, but now he´s one of many artists. Thankfully...

2. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Don't know if I should bring it up or not, but there are other Capitol of Canada albums that collected Cliff ep and single tracks. The only other one I have is "All My Love"
    [​IMG]

Tracklist

A1 Congratulations
    A2 Little Rag Doll
    A3 Wonderful World
    A4 Do You Remember
    A5 High 'N' Dry
    A6 The Sound Of The Candyman's Trumpet
    B1 The Day I Met Marie
    B2 Time Drags By
    B3 All My Love
    B4 In The Country
    B5 La La La Song
    B6 Finders Keepers

As you can see, the track listing isn't quite as good as the one for "Blue Turns to Grey". There is another Canadian album that collects singles (but I don't have it...yet) it's called "The Cliff Richard Souvenir Album"
    [​IMG]

Angel
    Sway
    Don't Talk to Him
    I'm the Lonely One
    Constantly
    On the Beach
    The Twelfth of Never
    I Could Easily Fall
    Perfidia
    Just Another Guy
    It's Not for Me to Say
    I Don't Wanna Love You

There is also a "Living Doll" Canadian album that collects a LOT of Cliff's early hits:
    [​IMG]

Tracklist
    A1 –Cliff Richard & The Drifters Move It! 2:20
    A2 –Cliff Richard & The Drifters Living Doll 2:36
    A3 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Travellin' Light 2:35
    A4 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Fall In Love With You 2:28
    A5 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Please Don't Tease 2:56
    A6 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Nine Times Out Of Ten 2:05
    A7 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows I Love You 2:02
    B1 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Theme For A Dream 2:04
    B2 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows A Girl Like You 2:31
    B3 –Cliff Richard With Norrie Paramor And His Orchestra When The Girl In Your Arms 2:24
    B4 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows With The Norrie Paramor Strings The Young Ones 3:10
    B5 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Do You Want To Dance? 2:13
    B6 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Bachelor Boy 2:00
    B7 –Cliff Richard & The Shadows Lucky Lips 2:42

3. Jarleboy

These are interesting. There are always some surprises on such compilations, and the running order is not always the best. When they work, it´s a fun way to discover Cliff´s music anew.

I agree with you that "BLUE TURNS TO GREY" was the best of the bunch. "ALL MY LOVE" had all the 1968 Eurovision songs, and they are not Cliff´s finest hour. (The two sides of the single "CONGRATULATIONS/HIGH´N´DRY" + "LITTLE RAG DOLL" are quite good, in their own way.)

The "SOUVENIR" album is also rather good, reminsicent of Music For Pleasure´s 1967 compilation called "ALL MY LOVE", which was in reality the album "CLIFF RICHARD" from 1965, with a few tracks removed, and the added bonus of "ALL MY LOVE". I like this album, but I never understood why they removed "ANGEL", as it´s one of the best tracks on the album. Perhaps it was too lively next to all those lovely ballads. "TAKE SPECIAL CARE" was obviously Cliff´s "version" of Bobby Vee´s "TAKE GOOD CARE OF MY BABY". A slight rip-off.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    CheshireCat, mark ab and When In Rome like this.
  4. Jarleboy

It seems I forgot to add a YouTube clip for "I´LL COME RUNNIN´". I should, since it was not included on the "40 GOLDEN GREATS" compilation. Here it is. (See above for comments about the song.)

NB! I´m on my work computer, so I cannot check whether it plays the right song. Please let me know if it doesn´t. A clip purporting to be "I´LL COME RUNNIN´" turned out to play "GREEN LIGHT". A much better song, I think, but not what was needed now.)

When In Rome, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  5. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

You're all right - it plays I'LL COME RUNNING. It's a song I enjoy from that period, although there are better.

Going back a little further, I've been listening to the 'Rare B Sides' CD. I think I'm coming to the opinion that SAY YOU'RE MINE is one of the best tracks Cliff recorded in the 1960s.

When In Rome, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Jarleboy

Thank you for reassuring me. I must remember not to use my work computer. Yeah, "I´LL COME RUNNIN´" is OK, but I am a bit surprised it made it to an A-side. It´s a perfectly good song, but I was not surprised it was a small hit. Still, smash hit singles is not what it´s all about. (Cliff would be shocked to read that, I think. :agree:)

I´m not sure I agree 100% about "SAY YOU´RE MINE", but it´s certainly a very good song. And, as I said, much better than the A-side, in my opinion. Feel free to lynch me...

When In Rome and mark ab like this.
  7. CheshireCat

I suppose it would be a challenge to include SAY YOU'RE MINE on a single disc compilation of the '60s. It's quite different to much of what Cliff was recording for 'hits'. But that may be because of the familiarity with the big hits and memories associated with them. And of course, we could never agree!

When In Rome, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Interesting to hear all these songs again.
    Shame we only got 3 seconds of one of Cliff's best songs on my humble opinion "Born to Rock' n' Roll".

9. Jarleboy

Probably not. :agree: But it would be interesting to compile a "Best of" double CD of the 60s, leaving all the big hits. I guess it would for a more interesting listening experience than a "Greatest Hits" does these days. As you say, we are quite (over-)familiar with the hits by now...

In a way, it was something aong those lines I did with the 6 CD compilation I posted earlier. I included the hits I wanted, but tried to do B-sides and deep cuts that I actually prefer right now.

So much lovely music to choose from.

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Agree completely! "BORN TO ROCK´N´ROLL" deserves to be included in full. Throw in the extended mix - I don´t mind! (But that wasn´t the point of that compilation.)

Try the other compilations in the series - there are some unexpected and half forgotten songs on there.

RonBaker, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  11. CheshireCat

A new video added to youtube this afternoon, featuring Cliff. (I know we've heard the track, but there's now a video). It's gonna be OK.

12. Jarleboy

Great! Thanks for posting it, Anthony!

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  13. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

I do like this song, upbeat and different nought to be noticed!

14. Jarleboy

Agree. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tim Cooper, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  15. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Is there going to be a physical release of this song? If not, I'll just have to buy a download and make one myself.

16. Jarleboy

I´m not sure about a CD single. I just ordered the album, which will feature the single.

When In Rome, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  17. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Album?

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  18. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I think it's a Piano Guys album that includes the Cliff track...

19. Jarleboy

Sorry, I could have been clearer. It´s the heat... :wave: Yes, I meant the Piano Guys album "SO FAR, SO GOOD", which has release date 2 June. I pre-ordered it a while back.

Edit: This has to be the most energetic track from Cliff - well. sort of - in a very long time. Most unexpected, but most welcome.

20. CheshireCat

I do think it is great that, while we are discussing an artist who was making successful music almost 60 years ago, we still have the opportunity to discuss worthwhile new music too. There must only be a handful of 'pop stars' you can do this for.

StephenB, RonBaker, mark ab and 2 others like this.
  21. Jarleboy

I´ll comment on the A-sides not discussed before, and then move on to the B-sides on this CD. It may take more time this way, but I enjoy juxtaposing the relevant A-sides and B-sides.

The first Cliff single of 1969 was "GOOD TIME (BETTER TIMES)", written by Jerry Lordan, Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway. (As someone will no doubt point out, the title of the song was actually just "GOOD TIMES". The words in brackets were added later. Original pressings of the single have the original title, whereas most appearances on compilations have the "full title". Yes, I love pickin´ nits. Thank you for asking... :righton:)

Anyway, the latter two gentlemen listed as composers have composed some of the most lightweight songs ever released anywhere, and this song is no exception. It´s pleasant, bouncy, jaunty and catchy - and that´s about it. Compare it to "THROW DOWN A LINE" from the same year, and you´d be hard pressed to believe the artist was the same. Yet, this was Cliff at the tail end of the 60s. He did experiment slightly, as the aforementioned single shows, but "GOOD TIMES" is Cliff doing his square best as a MOR/easy listening singer. Don´t get me wrong, I do enjoy the song, and never skip it. But I would hardly call it memorable.

It was a big hit - No. 12 was big for Cliff those days. It also charted in other territories - No. 8 in Belgium, No. 9 in Ireland, No. 12 in the Netherlands, No. 17 in Sweden, No. 20 in New Zealand, No. 37 in Germany and - finally - No. 46 in Australia. The song is sometimes trotted out on compilation album, and to me it´s one of those perfectly enjoyable songs that probably won´t win him any new fans, like "BABY, YOU´RE DYNAMITE" and "IT´S ONLY ME YOU´VE LEFT BEHIND". I like all three songs; their quality pap. Whatever that means.

I have read Steve Turner´s comments about the three songs from 1969/1970. I see his points, but I think he underestimates the value of these songs somewhat. "BIG SHIP" is a bit of whimsy, and succeeds as just that, if little else. "GOODBYE SAM, HELLO SAMANTHA" is criticised for its lyrics, but I think they are rather good. Simple, yes, but remember that this songs describes a transition from boy to young man in a very simple, but charming way. A shift in priorities is presented in a way most kids can recognise. Ain´t nothing wrong with that... (Sadly, being gay, I was not among those who understood this. Then or now. :shh: He, he.)

Robert Porter:
    Although this song is often subtitled as Good Times (Better Times), on the original UK single it is listed just as Good Times.
    "February 22, 1969: Cliff's 45th single, Good Times (Better Times)/Occasional Rain, is released. One reviewer comments: 'A happy light-hearted and immensely danceable disc-- though I don't rate the material as particularly memorable even though it was written by the joint talents of Jerry Lordan, Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway.' Another writes: 'Here's someone else who simply seems to float through recording sessions, pack his bag at the end of one take, smile thank you, fellas and go home. Cliff's records are always simple, uncluttered, uncomplicated and as a result are often boring.'"
    Mike Read, Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (1995 - The Complete Chronicle)

"[In the late 1960s] many asked, as Steve Turner did in his 1993 biography [of Cliff], 'was it really possible to be moved by Good Times? Did anyone care who played guitar on Big Ship or what the lyric of Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha was attempting to describe?' Maybe that was so, but it was also true that they were all Top 20 hits."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (July 2004 - liner notes for Sincerely remaster album)

"According to Cliff biographer Steve Turner, 'they certainly didn't have any soul or musical innovation.' He even asked whether it 'was really possible to be moved by Good Times? [sic] Did anyone care who played guitar on Big Ship or what the lyric of Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha was attempting to describe?' The answer to all the above would probably be pretty negative."
    Peter Lewry and Nigel Goodall (March 2007 - liner notes for Cliff In Japan Remaster CD)

"[Cliff's late 1960s song] certainly didn't have soul or innovation. Was it really possible to be moved by Good Times? Did anyone care who played guitar on Big Ship or what the lyric of Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha was attempting to describe?"
    Steve Turner (2008 January - Cliff Richard - The Biography (revised edition))

Running Time: 2:16
    Record Date: January 31, 1969
    Record Location: IBC Studios, London
    Written By: Jerry Lordan, Roger Cook & Roger Greenaway
    Arranged By: Mike Vickers
    Produced By: Norrie Paramor
    Engineered By: Unknown
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Mike Vickers (orchestra conductor), The Mike Vickers Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

CheshireCat, When In Rome and mark ab like this.
  22. Jarleboy

Yes, and I was thrilled to hear about this song. For me, it was a completely unknown entity when Stephen mentioned it on this very thread. Glad to hear that Cliff can still be relevant. Sort of.

23. Jarleboy

"OCCASIONAL RAIN" - written by Richey & Richey, whoever they are - is a song that Anthony have very different feelings about. I can´t find all that much to like about it, but I´m happy that some of you find this song a highlight of Cliff´s - shall we say less focused years? I find the the arrangement very bombastic and overly dramatic for a simple little song. I have tried to listen to it since we discussed it, and I dislike it less than I used to, but it still doesn´t rank as a favourite with me. I think what rankles is more the arrangement than the song itself.

Robert Porter:
    "February 22, 1969: Cliff's 45th single, Good Times (Better Times)/Occasional Rain, is released."
    "From 1968 and 1969 come Occasional Rain and She's Leaving You, released on the other side of Good Times (Better Times) and Big Ship singles."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (2008 - liner notes for Rare B-Sides 1963 - 1989 album in the ...And They Said It Wouldn't Last! {My 50 Years In Music} set)

Running Time: 2:44
    Record Date: July 6, 1968
    Record Location: Abbey Road, London
    Written By: Peter Richey & Simon Richey
    Arranged By: Mike Leander
    Engineered By: Peter Vince
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Mike Leander (orchestra conductor), The Mike Leander Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

When In Rome, mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  24. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Just missed the Rock Connection CD on Discogs. Grrr.

When In Rome, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  25. Jarleboy

"BIG SHIP" is another 1969 single often brought up when discussing Cliff´s artistic decline towards the end of the decade and for the first years of the new one. Written by Raymond Froggatt, who also wrote "THE OLD ACCORDION", "GOING AWAY" and "THE SINGER" for Cliff, this is - once again - a whimsical little song with rather absurd lyrics. Hardly a milestone in Cliff´s career, but I find it a charming, if extremely fluffy, single - one that probably was a bigger hit than you´d remember. (No. 8 in the UK and Irish charts, No. 13 in Belgium and No. 38 in the Australian charts. And it was a perfect final track to "THE BEST OF CLIFF, VOL. 2", following the weightier "SILVERY RAIN". As a follow-up to "GOOD TIMES", it probably highlights the lack of innovation in Cliff´s career at the time. Viewed as a stand-alone release, I find it charming. Like its predecessor, it´s probably closer to a children´s song than a real adult pop song, especially when compared to the psychedelic, progressive and hard rock singles of the late 60s. Cliff couldn´t compete, and wisely chose not to.

Robert Porter:
    "Big Ship packed enough commercial appeal to reach the No.8 spot... [...] May 23, 1969: Cliff's 46th single Big Ship/She's Leaving You, is released and gets the thumbs up from the critics: 'Cliff Richard has never suffered the indignity of a chart failure... I have every confidence this will maintain his unbroken run of successes.' Another reviewer writes: 'I'd go so far as to say it's the best thing he's done. Raymond Froggatt wrote the song, which is a cross between a very stray immediate melody line and an almost gospel chorus.' [...] June 21, 1969: Singer Peter Sarstedt says of Cliff's current hit Big Ship: '...just another formula song. I don't know why he does that-- I don't like any of his recent songs. With this, everything is arranged to sell with a huge S.'"
    "Later that February [of 1969], producer Micky Most gave an interview with Melody Maker. Airing his views on the Eurovision Song Contest, he mentioned that a Raymond Froggatt song, Big Ship, had sailed close to being selected as Lulu's entry and was, in his view, an extremely well crafted pop song. Peter Gormley was a man who read every word the music press printed. He also happened to be the manager of Cliff Richard. Peter's mission in life was to keep the production line of hit singles in motion. 'Remember,' said Raymond Froggatt. 'Cliff has scored so heavily with Britain's entry of the previous year, Congratulations. Peter Gormley made contact with publisher Stuart Reid regarding the Raymond Froggatt catalogue. 'The next thing I know is that Cliff's version of Big Ship is in the top ten and I'm a very hot and sought after songwriter!' chuckled Froggy."
    Laurie Hornsby (2003 - Brum Rocked On)

"[In the late 1960s] many asked, as Steve Turner did in his 1993 biography [of Cliff], 'was it really possible to be moved by Good Times? Did anyone care who played guitar on Big Ship or what the lyric of Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha was attempting to describe?' Maybe that was so, but it was also true that they were all Top 20 hits."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (July 2004 - liner notes for Sincerely remaster album)

"According to Cliff biographer Steve Turner, 'they certainly didn't have any soul or musical innovation.' He even asked whether it 'was really possible to be moved by Good Times? [sic] Did anyone care who played guitar on Big Ship or what the lyric of Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha was attempting to describe?' The answer to all the above would probably be pretty negative."
    Peter Lewry and Nigel Goodall (March 2007 - liner notes for Cliff In Japan Remaster CD)

"[Cliff's late 1960s song] certainly didn't have soul or innovation. Was it really possible to be moved by Good Times? Did anyone care who played guitar on Big Ship or what the lyric of Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha was attempting to describe?"
    Steve Turner (2008 January - Cliff Richard - The Biography (revised edition))

Running Time: 2:26
    Record Date: April 22, 1969
    Record Location: Abbey Road, London
    Written By: Raymond Froggatt
    Arranged By: Mike Vickers
    Engineered By: Peter Vince
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Mike Vickers (orchestra conductor), The Mike Vickers Orchestra (orchestra and all other instruments)

High art this ain´t. Catchy it is.

mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.