Tommy soundtrack lp This thing is dreadful ,whos to Blame??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by [email protected], May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

But, this is also a very good point. Seems to me that the Tommy film didn't get in the way of very much at all - not only did they put an an album later in 1975, but the preceding year in 1974 (while Tommy was being filmed), they put out an LP of outtakes which was as arguably as good as many of their regular albums. 1976 and 1977 are the real black holes for new Who material during the Moon era - long after the Tommy film was done and dusted.

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Very well could be as you say. Definitely a debate about that among fans. Perhaps it's some of both or more views that are closest to the truth? Re: '76 into '77, any one of Rough Mix's Townshend songs of Misunderstood, Keep Me Turning, My Baby Gives It Away, and-or Heart to Hang Onto that went on Rough Mix, would imo likely have made for anywhere from entertaining to essential fodder for a Who record, even if Pete sang lead on 1 or 2 of them. Everything I fwiw have heard and read about that album is that PT already had half an album of newer demos laying around and wrote and demo'd the Rough Mix songs by himself. I think a few of them on Rough Mix don't even 'sound' all that particularly removed from the also Glyn Johns produced Who By #'s album It sounds a bit dry but clean to me and not cluttered and the blending sound of the electric and acoustic guitars remind me of By #'s. I'm in the wrong thread though!

Anyway, was wondering if anyone may have tried listening to the Tommy blu ray 5.1 and Quintaphonic sound options through a 2 channel stereo setup only? I enjoy all the mainly Who vocal songs and the Townshend mostly or all instrumental recordings from the ST album. I have noticed on other surround discs that with a few of them when folded into 2 channel stereo they can offer some 'unintended' and very interesting instrumental-only 'mixes' and if there was a way to remove all the guest singers on those other Tommy songs, well I would consider that mostly a success or at least a point of great interest to me! I'll try that approach next week when I will have the setting to do so. I assume it won't make much of a difference but it has on other discs. In the meantime, if anyone may have tried that before or are curious...

3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Fun Fact: I met Roger Daltrey in 2004 as he was leaving the premier performance of Smile at Festival Hall. By nothing more than chance, I had a copy of the Tommy OST in my bag and asked him to autograph it. Unsurprisingly, he declined.

I've listened to the whole thing maybe once through, ever, and dipped in and out when I'm on a Who binge. Although it's unfair to call it a Who release since Keith is barely on it, it's absolutely the worst thing they've ever put their name to.

On the plus side, it's amusing to see the credits for this in my iTunes library - 'The Who feat. Ann Margret & Oliver Reed' might be the best artist title in my entire digital collection.

4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Yes, it's pretty...strike that...very bad. Still, Elton's fantastic cover of Pinball Wizard, the partial Who re-doing I'm Free harder and IMO cooler...and a couple of instrumental moments meant I had to pick it up. But it has been years since I've listened to it -- save for those handful of cuts.

5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

About a decade earlier Roger hosted the viewing of Tommy on TNT and he calls it his favorite movie.
    I was surprised to find the link on Youtube after I first posted.
    I recorded it on VHS when it aired.
    It must not have been viewed as badly up to that point.
    Something clearly changed over time.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    andybeau and RayS like this.
  6. I just put on the 1/2 speed "Live At Leeds" and all is right in the 'Tommy' universe.

andybeau likes this.
  7. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Francisco Franco

8. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It is not in good taste, but thank goodness people take risks and push the envelope! What a boring place the world would be if artists only made things that were guaranteed to be in good taste.

Pete's a genius, Ken's a genius, and together they made something that could never have existed otherwise. That's more than 95% of us on the forum can claim.

Man at C&A, ajsmith and andybeau like this.
  9. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Not sure if I would be interested to invest in it. I like the Elton single fine enough, but got it on his Greatest Hits 2 set. I'm also pretty sure that the original trumps it by way of containing Underture. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.