Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

There are some replicas out there, but they never seem to get the "beatle" quite right (or the colour):

Stamp Out The Beatles sweatshirt

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Wingsfan2012 and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Maybe you should...

3. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

In Pete Shottens book ( pal of john's ) he said there were a few days around that time that John got weird and was claiming he was Jesus. I think Paul is referencing that incident without saying it was actually John.

4. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I believe the quote was "if music weren't important, then why do they keep DR values?"

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  5. Thanks for this.

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

All of the original instrumentation (bass, drums, harpsichord) was re-dubbed/augmented (the remix has the extra drums and harpsichord on the right).

andrewskyDE, Onder and Yosi like this.
  7. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

That will certainly be interesting to hear. I hope it doesn't sound too cluttered.

8. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Anyone know what's going on vocally at the beginning of Lovely Rita [Speech And Take 9]? Sounds like backwards speech, at least that's how it is on the Andre Gardner broadcast...

9. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

does any of you already have the 50th anniversary editions or simply heard samples (where? url ?) ? thanks

10. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Are you sure that it's not a silence?
    Even the birds when they sing
    It's not everything to them
    Even the birds when they sing
    Spread their wings to heaven and fly away

Mike Heron

andrewskyDE, zobalob, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
  11. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

They're a bit full of their own more purist than thou attitude.
    Giles M had to make something generally commercial, not primarily for those who already own countless bootlegs.

B-Luna, Shaddam IV and ODIrony like this.
  12. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

British residents will note the irony of that 'Made in the E.U.' tag.

13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Our dog never went crazy.once she stopped to listen but that was it. I can just about still hear the note too.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  14. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Silence, the space in between, perhaps. I am only sure that it was written with tongue in cheek.

andrewskyDE and voles like this.
  15. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite (2017 remix).

It sounds like Giles used the original stereo as template for this song. Extra effects during the waltz bit are not present. And drums are in the background, I'd say even more in the background than on the original stereo. This is partly because they are less punchy in the remix, the attack is smeared by heavy compression.
    When the first verse started I had a feeling that I'm listening to an unreleased fake stereo Capitol mix.
    Drums, harmonium and lead vocal are panned in the center and fake "stereoizing" effect is applied on them.
    The only element that escaped this fake stereo treatment is bass which is panned slightly towards to the left.
    I compared this 2017 remix to Love remix and the stereo placement is actually identical. So it seems that Giles used his Love remix as a starting point and then added all the fake stereo effects and compression, Love remix doesn't have any of this and thanks to this sounds much better to me. The new remix is also much louder that the Love remix.
    Of all mixes this song ever received this new one is the only I don't like.
    I have to say that both outtakes of this song on the sessions CD sound really good!

Ondra

16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

That very shirt (Epstein's) has been doing the rounds at auctions and with dealers for the last five years :)

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

You have me worried now, my six disc set is on order from The Beatles store, also due Friday is the Rolling Stones "Ole Ole Ole" BD...So who will win the battle of first delivery ..The Beatles or The Stones ?.......

18. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

They're getting into the party spirit at Abbey Road this morning :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Would you clarify what you mean by this? Something related to Duophonic-type processing? Or what?

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Is that plural Beave?

andrewskyDE, marmalade166 and ODIrony like this.
  21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Thank you.

Beaneydave, Oyster Boy and mikrt17 like this.
  22. Onder

Onder Senior Member

I don't know exactly what it is. Some short reverb or delay. Or maybe combination of both.

Ondra

thrivingonariff likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I concur.

voles, Johnny Reb, zobalob and 2 others like this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Wow reading this post caused me to consider cancelling my order with Amazon.

Mr Kite is probably my favorite track on the album, to hear you say it's the least favorite mix you've ever heard of the song is upsetting. You talk about smeared sounds, very faint drums, how crappy it sounds to you. Terribly sad news.

But tell me, the album isin't released for another 3 days, how are you managing to hear it in Central Europe ? Did you hear it in good fidelity on you're home stereo ? Or on the radio ? I'm wondering if you just heard it online with compression & possible loss of fidelity.

Anyway gravely disappointing from my point of view, I wish I'd just ordered the 2 disc set.

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've 'enjoyed' the remixed album slightly more on the couple of occasions that I've listened to the album from start to finish. I find that listening only to particular tracks makes me more critical of them. But the mixes are not really my cup of tea overall.

On the other hand, I think the outtakes sound fantastic. And it sounds like the 4-tracks were just played through after simple level balancing and panning (with not even any going back to previous generations, these all sound like they come from the final tapes where any bouncing has occurred). No heavy handed effects or stereo-ising either. A direct-as-possible mix of even the 3rd generation 4-track of Strawberry Fields Forever Take 26 sounds great. This is exactly what I wanted :)

Ideally for me, the final masters would have been mixed in the same way (complete with full starts and endings and no effects) and slotted into their place on the Sessions discs, which would have made the master remixes more interesting to me, and would have made the Sessions discs even better than they already are.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.