Good Bye Hip...Good Bye Gord.... (final Tragically Hip concert) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grapenut, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Film was hard to watch but extremely moving.

Wish there was a CD release for the music.

2. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I've seen that more than a few time in the TV Guide, when they've picked the wrong synopsis for a Canadian film with the same title. For some reason "Crash" from David Cronenborg would be referenced and one of three different films called "Crash" would be shown.

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

4. How's the solo album? Haven't heard it yet ...

5. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Scope J and dobyblue like this.
  6. Yobbles

Yobbles Forum Resident

Don't expect a Hip album. It's very moving, especially with what Gord is going through.

"Seven Matches", the third track, might give you a lump in your throat.

The entire album/movie can be watched here:

7. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Good album. When it was announced, and considering the heavy topic, was not something I could imagine listening to more than a few times. But it works as a full album, or individually when tracks come up when listening to music on shuffle.

It has some elements of Gord's solo work, Haunt Them could easily be a Hip song, as above Seven Matches is a great track. Shares a lot of the same production choices as Man Machine Poem, a bit more "atmospheric" for lack of a better word -- same producer, and predates the Hip album, so I guess Gord liked the process and brought it to the band.

I have the vinyl -- sounds good.

hellion and Scope J like this.
  8. i'll pick it up boxing day if santa doesn't bring it. i'm familiar with all but one of his solo albums, so have a good grasp on its difference from the band's work. somebody told me it's a lot of spoken word, but when i think about it, even if it is, i'd still get it - i'd probably listen to Gord read the phone back (especially if there was spontaneous improv in btwn #s).

9. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

No spoken word, maybe one song thats a bit slower but I would still consider it a song. They all started as poems o i expected some spoken word, but not the case.

ARK likes this.
  10. Have now heard Secret Path a few times: very solid solo Gord. Was worried the lyrics would be heavy handed, but it's all very tasteful and allegorical. Interesting musical backing too-a keeper for sure.

11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

How's Gord's health been lately? I haven't really kept up on it.

12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

He has been making the odd public appearance. Gord was at the ACC in Toronto (at a Raptors game, I think). I'm
    stunned that there hasn't been a release from the `final tour'. Gord also sang with Blue Rodeo at Massey Hall.

Scope J and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  13. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Gord was sitting with Bobby Orr during the Bruins/Senators series a few weeks ago and was seen with Orr and Don Cherry having a chat.

He looked fairly good, considering.

rob68 likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

He did a thank you speech, pre-recorded video, for the Juno awards in April.

ARK and Scope J like this.
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

BGLeduc, Farmer Mike and Scope J like this.
  16. dance_hall_keeper

grapenut, bliss44, Scope J and 3 others like this.
  17. dance_hall_keeper

From the CBC: Gord Downie appointed to Order of Canada.
    [​IMG]

Governor General David Johnston shakes hands with Tragically Hip singer Gord Downie after investing him in the Order of Canada during a
    ceremony at Rideau Hall, Monday, June 19, 2017 in Ottawa ON. Image by Adrian Wyld.
    [​IMG]
    Tragically Hip singer Gord Downie hugs Governor General David Johnston after receiving the Order of Canada in Ottawa ON on Monday, June 19, 2017.
    Image by Adrian Wyld, Canadian Press.
    For those who are interested, here is the Wikipedia entry for
    The Order of Canada.
    A friendly reminder about this Saturday, from The Kingston Whig-Standard: CBC to re-broadcast Hip’s hometown concert.

18. dance_hall_keeper

19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

All I want to know is this: is there going to be a live album released on CD?!

20. dance_hall_keeper

21. dance_hall_keeper

22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I like Ben, he's a good guy with great taste in music - used to party with him a bit in the early 00s when I worked with his at the time girlfriend.

eelkiller likes this.
  23. dance_hall_keeper

From CTV News: Tragically Hip doc to air on TV in coming days.
    Tragically Hip fans mourning the death of Gord Downie will have a chance to see a new documentary about the band's final tour.

The documentary "Long Time Running" was originally scheduled to air on CTV in November but has been moved up to Friday. It will air again on Nov. 12 and become available to stream on CraveTV.

24. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wonderful doc tonight...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.