Tool: The Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Weber, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

chrischerm likes this.
  2. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Did anyone read this comment from one of the Volto! band members in the comments or that article which was posted on the last page?

now to address the mastering/cutting of the album's vinyl...
    we(primarily myself, Danny Carey, and a few other trusted sets of ears) listened with extreme scrutiny as far as attemping to release the best sounding product we could unleash upon the masses...and from all the comparisons we did with the completed mixed tracks we believe that what you hear in those grooves is indeed the BEST representation of what came from the analog tapes! bottom line...being fellow audiophiles/analog mavens, we are damn proud and enthralled with the finished products!
    (btw, with our label Concord Music Group/Fantasy Records our albums will all be available on as many formats as possible, from vinyl, to hd-downloads.... http://www.VOLTOband.com )
    Bob actually did 3 final masters for us, specifically for vinyl, cd, and digital download. each so they'd sound the most "truthful" within their own medium and delivery system. also to be honest, he did very VERY little to the final mixes, which we went back and forth contemplating a little compression, eq-ing, and volume levels before the final decisions were made. but obviously what Mr. Ludwig did was nothing short of stellar sounding alchemy...the guy is a true sonic shaman, AND Chris B at Grundman's nailed it too, with the dynamics as best as i've ever heard coming off a turntable's needle, in my humble opinion of course. just turn it up and let it sink in, yeah!

rob303 likes this.
  3. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

10,000 Days was issued 2 May 2006. Emulating Boston?

4. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I've had many friends try to get me into this band, knowing how much I love prog, Rush, and Sabbath. Just didn't do the trick for me. I find the band lacking in the songwriting department. The drummer is really, really good----but as for the other musicians in the band---nothing special. Finally, what really turned me off were the lyrics. Almost like they were weird for the sake of being weird. Unlike, say Primus, whose lyrics are off-kilter, but actually make sense.

5. george nadara

6. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Their most haunting album.
    Especially the one-two punch of Ticks And Leeches and the title track is unsurpassable.

Take, for instance, the long restrained part in Ticks with the following climax. Classic stuff!

8. george nadara

9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Interesting excerpt, I think I would like to read this book.

I have a friend out here who used to jam with Brad Wilk. He also caught one of Tool's early shows at the Scientology Center :laugh:

george nadara likes this.
  10. george nadara

11. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I saw Tool a couple months ago and opted for the VIP experience. That included about a two hour talk plus Q+A with Adam. He got into more detail on the writing alchemy and its laborious time consumption. To add they are all perfectionists so that adds further to the lengthy process.

george nadara likes this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well...at least we're seeing some progress.

13. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Guys, Maynard warned us all. The title of the last album was a key to how long we'd have to wait for the next one. Which, according to my rough back of the envelope calculations, tells me it'll be scheduled for about October of 2033.

eric777 and rob303 like this.
  14. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

YES! We have a drop date!!!!

15. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Unfortunately, I"LL be dropping before THAT date! :laugh:

rob303 likes this.
  16. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I have no confidence that Tool will ever release another album, and will believe it when I see it in stores.

17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Think about it, Tool does things very unconventionally. I really doubt they're gonna warn us about when the album is going to come out and such. They keep things very low key and mysterious.

18. george nadara

Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I'm not even that concerned with when or if a new album is coming. I kind of figured when the last album came out that it might really be their last release. Anything they release now is just a bonus.

20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm choosing to take the headlining slot at Governor's Ball as a positive sign.

21. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

By far one of the best of the 90's. Looking forward to seeing them at Boston Calling in a week. I liked Undertow from the beginning, but Aenima took me a while to get into. I thought I would love it instantly being a fan of progressive music, and you could say this is their first album that really sounds progressive (even though some prog elements were evident in their previous work) but for some reason it didn't click with me. Maybe it was the cluttered production, the mix doesn't sound to good. Soon enough, I got used to it and a brilliant album was uncovered, and it became one I couldn't stop listening to. Eulogy is my favorite. Lateralus is also on another level and 10,000 is great too. Great band. I hope the new album is coming soon...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    George P likes this.
  22. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

They redesigned their website this week for the first time in 15 years so maybe something is up

footlooseman and bcaulf like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Not bad! Cool to see Third Eye and a couple songs from Opiate on there. I'm surprised nothing from Undertow is on there, especially Prison Sex and Sober but they're probably tired of those ones. "Descending" must be a new song.

25. "Descending" is/was supposedly a piece, or teaser from new stuff they were/are working on. They have been playing that jam piece for a while now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.