New Monkees album coming .... in 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BobGilly, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Why would anyone care about a new album from the New Monkees?

2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's got to be a "John Hughes" production. What a waste. I'll pass. Think I'll stick to Sandoval produced projects.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Because they....

I mean they're....

They have...

Okay, I got nothing.

:)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Hipster" arguably belongs on a psych-themed compilation though...but She and Saturday's Child absolutely don't.

izgoblin, DaveJ, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  5. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I kind of like "Hipster" being on the comp. I would have replaced "Saturday's Child" and "She" with "Daily Nightly" and "Auntie's Municipal Court", which also seems like a glaring omission. And "Can You Dig It"!

6. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

This is coming out in both CD and vinyl. Why "Take a Giant Step", "She" and "Saturday's Child"? Should have included the tracks most mentioned here or at least what they were recording during the summer of 67. Another cash cow project not needed.

JDistheone and D-rock like this.
  7. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I can see "Take A Giant Step" -- it does have a psych-ish vibe. The other two not so much.

8. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

In some ways, maybe... But, even with Mike in tow, their concerts certainly don't draw like the Stones, Who, or Roger Waters/David Gilmour. Let alone McCartney.

But they very well might be more popular than The Beach Boys these days? A case could be made.

Still, the increased profile/acclaim over the past few years, and their popularity in general since the 1986 comeback, is pretty amazing. Who'd a thunk that back in 1970?

John Bliss, marmalade and Elliottmarx like this.
  9. Guy Smiley

Yeah... Loves me some "Hipster" too, but it does seem like an odd fit with all the 60s stuff. Maybe they should've added "You Bring the Summer" too, just for some balance with new songs? It gets a little trippy at the end (No less trippy than "Take a Giant Step"), and, y'know, summer's also in the album title!

"The Door Into Summer" would've been a good fit too, and not just the "summer" angle.

marmalade, izgoblin and Elliottmarx like this.
  10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I love Bread but David Gates is one the biggest squares in the history of rock

11. Guy Smiley

Good calls. "Saturday's," and "She," don't belong, and I'd probably take out "Giant Step" too.

Keep "Hipster," add "Daily Nightly," "Auntie's," "Circle Sky," "Can You Dig It," "Do I Have To Do This," (Peter needs a vocal) "Early Morning Blues and Greens," and "Zor and Zam" for sure... And if "Hipster" is on there, I'd add "You Bring the Summer" too.

Maybe a few later, post-Tork songs? "You and I" (1969)? "St. Matthew"? "Mommy and Daddy"?

Oooh... how about the 33 1/3 "Listen to the Band"? I would LOVE for that to finally be released on an album/CD.

12. Guy Smiley

There's certainly no reason for me to buy this, cool album cover aside. And is it IS a cool cover. Maybe I'll just make my own trippy Monkees iPod playlist.

Although, if they include a mix of "Porpoise Song" that doesn't have those two annoying "pops" (The mix on the Listen to the Band box, I believe, is missing those pops) I might just break down and snag it.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Elliottmarx likes this.
  13. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

You're late to the party. There was a New Monkees "joke" six posts in to this thread...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. readr

readr Forum Resident

Ask someone under 40 to name two 60's bands.
    I think where the Stones and Who might fall off is they are also associated with the 70's. My next five, The Turtles, The Doors, The DC5, The Kinks, and The Beach Boys unfortunately are not on the top of younger people's lists. If you ask kids under 20, you'd be lucky to get any act off my next five list. And, you'd never get a Motown act named, sadly.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Always room for more New Monkees jokes.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I had actually forgotten that The New Monkees existed completely until about 4 years ago when someone referenced them here on the forum by posting their album cover. I had successfully repressed those memories.

17. paste

paste Forum Resident

As of now, there are only six dates listed on the 50 Summers Tour Facebook page and they are spread out between mid July and early Nov. It looks like he also has several solo gigs, but there are plenty of gaps big enough to do some recording.

marmalade likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow, there's an Official Unofficial New Monkees website!

New Monkees

19. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Nice, but I too could make a better comp. Too many earlier bits on there.
    "… Hipster" an obvious carrot to entice the uninitiated to "Good Times".
    "Tapioca's …" inclusion a plus, as it's too often overlooked. Good Move.
    Some will buy it for the cover, which some of us could make in Photoshop
    anyway. For the compleatist.

izgoblin likes this.
  20. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Oh dear.

21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Hope it was an all-analogue re-press.

izgoblin likes this.
  22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Totally and completely unnecessary comp. Ludicrous.
    I'm actually starting to think that all of the buzz coming from New Jersey is nothing but fantasy.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Ask anyone, whether under or over 40, to name two 60's bands and the most frequent answers will be "Beatles and Stones," probably by a landslide. They are the two bands that defined the decade, the two biggest British Invasion bands, friendly rivals, and the source of endless debates over who was better.

If we're talking individual artists, not just bands, then Dylan and Hendrix are near the top of the list. Simon and Garfunkel too.

Then you have the Grateful Dead, seen by many as a quintessential 60's band (Associated with Haight/Ashbury, the Acid Tests, Monterey/Woodstock) and still VERY popular today.

Funny thing about that, your mentioning the 70's earlier. The Dead 's best, and most acclaimed, work was in the 70's. That's also when their audience grew by leaps and bounds and the "Deadheads" really came into existence.

Anyhow, getting back on topic. The Monkees' current/recent popularity is pretty remarkable, but I wouldn't necessarily put it on the same level as most of these others we've mentioned.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  24. readr

readr Forum Resident

No, 20-somethings and younger have no clue who the Dead are, Dylan, S&G, or even sadly Hendrix. No clue. They might have heard of the Stones or The Doors. The have heard of The Beatles and most know The Monkees. I'd elevate that list to 30-somethings and younger, just with a slight bit less of ignorance. But, generally, they don't know 60's acts. I know, I work with kids, I ask them all the time......they have no clue unless it's popular on YouTube.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. readr

readr Forum Resident

So, if they do a cover on the next album, here's my two cents:

September Gurls

Micky said back in the eighties that they should do it on the next album, The Bangles had recently done a version and he thought that's what type of music they should be doing (I'm paraphrasing, obviously). But, it's a perfect choice for the next album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.