Looking for a Good DIY Amplifier Project for My Son

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thegage, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd Thread Starter

This would be to use with a computer he just built for gaming. He's watched me build tube amps, but something like that is overkill for what he needs. I'm thinking as a first-timer he needs a fairly easy kit, reasonable power (he's got the computer in his small bedroom), and SS or Class D. I don't have much knowledge about options. Oh, and he doesn't need a volume control, so integrateds need not apply.

John K.

2. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

I'm afraid I have nothing relevant to contribute, but why is a volume control not necessary here?

3. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

A Gainclone (LM3875) would be a very straight forward, easy, and effective little amp to build. There's very little to it. You can buy PCBs and matched opamps from a variety of places (audiosector.com for example). Not expensive either. Would be a great beginner project and you'd get a real decent amp out of it too. About 40wpc.

Ron Scubadiver likes this.
  4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd Thread Starter

Because the computer acts as the preamp.

John K.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

A few years ago My grandson and I built a small amp with a class d module from Partsexpress. I don't remember the model, but it's still working. It required a case as well as a power supply and connectors. It was a fun project and probably cost me less than $50.

6. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

8. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Yeah, this popped into my head. The original Gain Card amp from 47 Labs cost $3000, got great reviews and can be replicated for about $150.

9. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Alright I see. One thing to keep in mind though is it's not unlikely for windows to occasionally take control of the volume and change it drastically, this has happened to me many many times.
    This could easily result in huge noise and blown speakers!

10. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I did the same with my daughter, many years ago.
    We got a DAC/headphone kit off of eBay.
    Pretty good quality, but it was teaching her to solder and methodically put something together and appreciate her skills, that was the best part.

I'd look at parts express and eBay.
    Maybe something like this:50 Watt x 2 Stereo Class D Audio Amplifier Kit DIY Electronic Solder TPA3116D2 | eBay
    BTW, she's getting her masters in neuroscience, not to brag or anything. ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

How about Pass Labs Amp Camp Amp? I think there is a really simple build available, but power is fairly low, not sure your needs there. DIY audio would be the place to investigate.

12. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Bottlehead has a battery-powered kit called the Quicksand for around a $100. What's nice about it for a first build is the safety of not dealing with high voltage. Sounds great too.

13. levimax

levimax Forum Resident

I have built and use a number of projects from ESP (Elliott Sound Products) here is a list of his amplifier projects : ESP Projects Pages - DIY Audio and Electronics . Every project I have built has worked and has exceeded my exceptions. You buy the boards and order your own parts and follow the excellent instructions.... the hard part is you have to build / buy the case your self ... but this also offers you flexibility to build it exactly as you want. A little more challenging for a first project but the results we be good enough to keep a long time....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.