How to assess/compare phono stages without actually listening

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pete74, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed very attractive. However, I wouldn't touch anything from Vincent with a bargepole after reading what kind of shenanigans they have going on with tube output CD players and other items.

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Used is the best bet, I was able to score a very nice preamp for a fraction of the cost...do your research and happy hunting.

bru87tr and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Good to know, I don't really know anything about it or the company, but there's a ton of low cost preamps these days, I can imagine it is kind of a daunting quest for someone looking with that kind of budget. The upside is that you aren't out too much if you make the wrong choice. The downside is that if you are in this market, then money is probably pretty tight, and you don't wanna make that kind of mistake.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Robert C and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Let's just say that if I bought a Vincent product of any type at the prices they charge, I'd be upset if it didn't work as advertised or had fake components in it.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Interesting, I guess subjectivity is everything. I would personally limit my expectations of a $200 phono stage to be just a bit better than the internal on an average integrated. I think $500 is where things really start to happen.

9. russk

russk Forum Resident

I just found this guy after he was mentioned in another thread. Pretty entertaining and I think fairly decent reviews. Any specific controversies or just people disagreeing with his reviews or techniques?

10. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Whats up with Vincent audio?
    I have found the PHO-08 to be very good...

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

I wouldn't disregard specs. They are important in that they help you match your pre to your cartridge and you can make sure your getting enough gain to meet the sensitivity of your amp. My SEP amp for instance has a input sensitivity of 1.3v so with a cartridge that has an output of 5.5mv 48db of gain is ideal. Things like that are just good to know. They help me narrow the field a bit but I would never buy without auditioning. Specs are helpful but will never win out over actual listening in my book.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have one and although I am planning for a nice tube phono preamp, I am completely satisfied with it for the price.

You can get it as a stand alone unit, or in a wireless remote controlled switch box with RCA's in/out. This adds three additional, switchable analog inputs to your system and the forth input is the phono pre.

In addition to MM, it is also switchable for MC and has different settings to match your cart. It is a really nice looking switch box, that is made of heavy gauge steel.

The XPS-1 is $179 and the switch box, the SP-1 is $299, only $120 more, if it's additional features are useful to you.

[​IMG]
    One specification that I didn't see mentioned here is matching the compliance of the cartridge to the mass of your tone arm. Here, you may want to get some opinions from Rega and/or the manufacture of the cartridge, before making your purchase.

Since you already have the Ortofon 2M Bronze, I am assuming that you like it.

Why not try upgrading to the 2M Black, since it only requires the stylus to be upgraded. You have such a nice TT, that this might not only be a good move to consider sound quality wise, but financially as well, seeing that you already own the cartridge body, with the Bronze?

I have the 2M Bronze on my vintage, restored Thorens TD-160 Super TT. I bought the Black stylus, it sounds very detailed but in an organic sort of way. With a TT as nice as yours, I'm assuming that you have clean, quiet vinyl. If that is the case, I strongly recommend checking out upgrading to the Black. The Bass is remarkable on this cartridge.

Suggest buying from a European seller such as on eBay. Find a seller, with a good track record and you might save $100 over the US prices. I don't know about Canadian prices.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I find his reviews entertaining and he does a much better job of showing how the products sound than most. No attempt to avoid upsetting manufacturers. People may disagree but you can tell for yourself the relative merits from the videos. I couldn't disagree with the comparisons from what I am hearing.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    russk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.