Oppo BDP 105 and DSD Playback

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Diver110, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I know, what was I thinking ;).

Bill

Linger63 likes this.
  2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

LOL..............actually Percivale's post had a link to one on SA-CD.net made by one Kal Rubinson from Stereophile. :eek:

Hopefully he will chip in and clear the air. :laugh:

Of course nothing beats........"straight from the horse's (Oppo's) mouth"!!!!!!!!!

Bill Mac and BGLeduc like this.
  3. My regular 105 does not play DSD128 or higher over DLNA.

4. Well, Kal certainly is a trust worthy source.

Linger63 likes this.
  5. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Just another way of saying DSD128

7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Oh, as Sony players have done for awhile, at least through the HDMI. Have never been clear on what's coming from the analogs other than a fairly muddy mess.

Linger63 likes this.
  8. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

I'm not too savvy with all the digital media, especially with the different modes. I play SACD, CD and hi-res files that I get from places like HDTracks and also from torrents. I plug a portable hard drive into the rear USB jack and it plays from the Oppo 105. Am I possibly not getting hi-res under this circumstance. Please forgive if the answer is in front of my face. I don't think I understand what DSD is. I know there are settings for PCM, DSD on my Oppo but I was never sure what was best. Can of worms?

9. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Thanks but it has been a long time since I have used my Oppos for anything other than playing the occasional disc. Ask the horse.

Linger63 and BGLeduc like this.
  10. brettFX

brettFX Forum Resident

They are totally worth it!

11. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Apologies for reviving this old thread again, but I have a newly acquired 105D (on latest 10XEU 83 firmware), and am now looking into a DLNA server to play DSD. I don't have much HQ digital music at the moment as I am just testing things right now to see how it works and if I like it.

I am using jriver (v22) on a win10 laptop, and after lots of reading and experimentation I just cannot stream anything HQ other than FLAC, either pushing from jriver, or pulling from the oppo. Before either bothering to start ripping my SACDs, or buying more hi res music, I have obtained from various sources some 'test' material.

I have got sacd.iso, dsf files and flac files from SACD originals (not ripped myself). I have also extracted dsf and dff tracks from the aforementioned sacd.iso.

My oppo will play the dsf files (existing and newly extracted) from usb stick, but not sacd.iso (which I knew) nor the dff files (which I thought it should do).

So, the position at the moment is that the ONLY thing I can do with my SACDs is to extract to DSF (stereo or multichannel) and play these via usb stick. I was expecting to be able to stream DSF, but I cannot, I can only stream flac. I did find a thread on a jriver forum where dsf/dff streaming (push or pull, I cant remember) was 'fixed' by adding a couple of entries to the fileassociations.xml, but it still doesnt work for me. The files try and play for a few seconds then move on to the next in the list.

Did Oppo break DSD streaming again in the more recent firmware updates? Has anyone got this working with jriver and care to share settings (I have the bitstream DSD option off as this results in white noise)? Or is there another DLNA server which does work?

Thanks

Mark

12. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Tried using foobar2000, and after installing lots of plug-ins, drivers etc it still wasnt working - couldnt even pull dsf files from it, they were only .wav files showing.

Resorted to windows smb file share for now, so pull only. Surprised at the apparent lack of info/instructions for this given that one of the big draws for getting the 105 was the streaming ability.

13. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

The latter observation, pulling from the Oppo, is disturbing because that function has been stable for a long time and works in both my 103 and 105. I assume you can see those files on the Oppo network interface. What happens when you click on one?

14. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

They show as WAV files, and when I try and play a track nothing happens for a few seconds then it tries the next song in the list.

This is using the 24bit dac in jriver. I did play around with settings to try and get push working, I will check again now and ensure I have the 'no convert' option on etc.

15. Yes, works from my MacBook Pro without any problems. No changing of file associations necessary. And JRiver can play the ISO files directly.

Then something is wrong in your chain. Bitstream DSD should really be on.

Have you tried to ask this on the official JRiver forum? Please provide some screenshots of your settings, so we can see what is on and off. What about the OPPO settings? Anything unusual there?

16. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Ok, I had changed the audio setting to send pcm, or it was that by default, anyhow I changed that to 'original' and now I can pull dsf, and also send dsf.

I think now I am at the same point using jriver as I am a usb stick, I just need to work on getting album art etc to show. It shows in jriver but not on the oppo when playing (pulled or pushed), and also smaller tweaks like having jriver list album tracks 2 channel then 6 channel.

17. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

As previously stated, I now have dsf files streaming ok, but a couple of points;

1) Are you on the latest firmware as I am positive oppo will not play sacd isos. You have to extract to dsf to be able to stream or play dsd. Jriver can open the sacd iso container and show the files, but their type is 'sacd' and wont stream.
    2) 'Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer)' under DLNA Advanced section definitely does not work. The song will play but you get low volume white noise. If you crank up the volume you can hear the song playing faintly under the white noise.

18. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

He said that JRiver can play the ISOs, not the Oppo. Presumably the Oppo would just be acting as a DAC for JRiver at that point, rather than being run as a render of the SACD ISO files (which you correctly note that current versions will no longer do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.