The Style Council - One of the best things about the 1980s.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oldturkey, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

Didn't realise it was a Jam song. How did I miss that?

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Definitely one of their best videos, although there wasn't particularly stiff competition most of the time!

Dream #9 likes this.
  3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Oh, hey -- and today's actually Paul Weller's 59th birthday. Kind of amazing to think that it's been 34 years since he started The Style Council, and kind of weird when to consider that the years The Jam were a recording unit is now only a sliver of Weller's entire career...

4. Dream #9

Weller always looked uncomfortable when doing videos IMO. Most artists do. Noel Gallagher says he hates doing them too.

5. Great tune, always loved Dee C's vocal turns, but never followed Dee C's solo work, do you or anyone else know if Weller wrote or cowrote for any of her albums?

6. Dream #9

59? Wow! Where does the time go?

7. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Weller co-wrote "Just My Type" for Dee C. Lee's Shrine album (under the pseudonym Jake Fluckery) and co-produced and wrote songs for her Slam Slam album Free Your Feelings (with The Blow Monkeys' Dr. Robert).

zphage likes this.
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, he wrote almost all of Free Your Feelings (if memory serves, Dr. Robert only wrote one or two), and "Round and Round" wound up being recycled for Weller's first solo album.

zphage and HeavensAbove like this.
  9. HeavensAbove

A highlight from Dee C Lee's Shrine LP (co-written by Weller aka Jake Fluckery). Sounds like Weller on backing vocals, though he is not listed in the credits.

ScienceFriction and zphage like this.
  10. HeavensAbove

Written by Weller and Mick Talbot (a posthumous TSC tune!)

ScienceFriction and zphage like this.
  11. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

I'm biased. I remember seeing The Jam in, like, Creem magazine and I thought, "they're dressed exactly like The Who used to." I immediately blew them off as unoriginal and the few Jam songs I've heard since then haven't done anything for me.

However, The Style Council's "Headstart for Happiness" is a great little Bacharach-ish ditty, I like it a lot and will be seeking out more.

I love it when my expectations are shattered.

oldturkey, hutlock and HeavensAbove like this.
  12. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Great news, Modernism: A New Decade to get vinyl reissue. This from Superdeluxeedition.com...

NEWS
    The Style Council’s ‘Modernism: A New Decade’ to get an vinyl release in Sep
    June 19, 2017 by Paul Sinclairtags: 1980s, Paul Weller, The Jam, The Style Council

[​IMG]

Amazon in the UK have a listing for a vinyl reissue of The Style Council‘s unreleased final album Modernism: A New Decade.

The house-influenced long-player was famously rejected by Polydor in 1989 and didn’t see the light of day until 1998 when it was included on The Complete Adventures of The Style Council box set. At that time, there were some limited pressings of promotional vinyl editions of the Modernism album and these now command high prices on the used market.

You may have noticed that Universal have recently announced vinyl reissues of Introducing The Style Council and Café Bleu, so even though there is no official announcement, a reissue of Modernism: A New Decade on vinyl makes sense. Confessions Of A Pop Group looks to be coming out at the same time.

Modernism… will be a 2LP set while Confessions Of A Pop Group will be pressed on one record. They will both be released on 15 September 2017.

patient_ot, oldturkey, e.s. and 3 others like this.
  13. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Weird that they're jumping past Our Favourite Shop and The Cost of Loving, but encouraging that they're doing more and that Modernism... is getting an official release. I've only got the single LP version of this album, so the 2LP set is going to be a must-have. Good times! Will keep hoping that they add vinyl releases of Here's Some That Got Away and In Concert to the list when all is said and done.

15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And I spoke too soon: Looks a new pressing of The Cost of Loving is coming out on August 17.

andybeau likes this.
  16. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Home and Abroad too hopefully.

17. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Loved the Style Council; never got the need for the gay overtones...but loved the music. Still listen to it and it still holds up very well..was in my early 20s in college when this came out....ah, hope sprung eternal...with such great, love songs...both optimistic and bittersweet.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It seems like "Confessions..." should be a double LP!

19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

According to one site, this will be a double-LP cut at 45 rpm. That's great news for me, as this is my favorite album of theirs!

e.s. likes this.
  20. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

Our Favourite Shop is coming too, on lilac vinyl, August 18th. Very cool that they're getting them all out so fast.. this is how Weller's solo releases should have been handled. Confessions is on white vinyl though... Hm. That's really cool about The Cost of Loving being mastered at 45 rpm.

e.s. likes this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Gay overtones?

acetboy and pghmusiclover like this.
  22. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Well...do I really have to explain? Promo pictures, especially, associated with the import version of Our Favorite Shop/Internationalist....the video for Long Hot Summer....Paul Weller has often openly admitted that "gay overtones" existed with Style Council, calling it his "confused sexuality time..but it never went further than stroking (Mick Talbots) earlobes in the Long Hot Summer video"..... Don't get me wrong...nothing wrong with being gay. I've had plenty of gay friends in my life. I just don't care to see it so overtly flaunted..just just like I don't really care for overly flaunting from heterosexuals which seems so rampant today...mainly to cover up for lack of talent.

Paul Weller puts gay rumours to rest

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You've only got the (ultra-rare impossible to find) single LP pressing of the title. You state it like aw shucks, darn it.

e.s. likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, especially about 15 or so 7"or 12" picture sleeves, you didn't notice them. LOL

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was available on a double 45rpm set, remember the UK original?

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.