The Phil Ochs Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jun 21, 2014.

1. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Aah...

Well spotted. Very evocative.

2. It's time for a renaissance of Phil's music. Don't ya think?

[​IMG]

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I stumbled on a mono Pleasures a couple of years ago for $4. What a fun find that was.

Mazzy likes this.
  4. That's one I still need. ill give you $5.

chacha likes this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe you can transfer it? (hint hint)

6. Just ordered a Mono Pleasures via Discogs $12 shipped.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I'll be uploading his catalog to my Fiio when I get home from vacation.

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Forgive me if I missed it. Can anyone tell me who plays drums on tape from California? I can't find a listing for that in my searches.

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

No one knows this? I was sure someone here would.

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

I went through my notes and found nothing about the drummer, either here or on Pleasures. I would assume that Larry Marks used the same drummer on both albums.

11. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Phil must be one of the rarest performers that was ever filmed. I have found very few performances over the years and no one seems to know much about Phil Ochs on film.
    Does anyone have a definitive list of Phil on film (either live in concert or on TV)? It would also be nice to know what is available commercially and/or on youtube, especially in good quality, as most that is floating around is in terrible quality. The man was worthy of having at least one entire TV show devoted to him but alas I don't think that ever happened. Any help would be appreciated.

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Phil performed "Miranda" solo on the "Upbeat" tv program. The song eventually turned up on "Pleasures Of The Harbor" but at the time his latest album was "Phil Ochs in Concert."

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

He may have been on a TV blacklist. Too bad that he wasn't on either the Smothers Brothers in 68-69 or on Johnny Cash in 69

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I would imagine that most of what there is was in the documentary "There but for fortune", which you can see in very compromised form on YT (recorded off TV, out of sync sound), but is probably on DVD for purchase or rental. I saw it in the theater when it came out and don't remember it that well. I think they chopped down some clips, but it can serve as a pointer for you to try to see the full songs elsewhere.

15. JamieC

Phil was never on network TV until the Midnight Special appearance with Glover. He did a few shows on public access, and his songs were played a few times on the nightly news but other than that there is little more than news clips and a few performances at rallies or Newport. Most of the available footage was in the documentary.

16. JamieC

hutlock likes this.
  17. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

18. JamieC

Nope. Thats my biggest bitch about the film. No complete songs, and nothing in the bonus material.
    Glover told me about being on Midnight Special. Phil needed him because he couldn't play with his hand in a cast. The producers nixed Phil doing Here's to the State Of Richard Nixon, so Phil and Jim worked up Power and Glory instead. And then by the time they finally got to play the audience had all gone home and it was almost one in the morning. So to fill in the front rows they got all the loose production people along with Gladys Knight and the Pips.

19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I's heartwarming to see 18 pages of a Phil Och's thread. He barely talked about 10 years ago.

20. Clean Demon Jim

Clean Demon Jim Forum Resident

I realize this thread started over three years ago, but thanks again for starting it. My interest in Phil came with the purchase of "Death of a Rebel" by Marc Elliot for a buck at a remainder bookstore in the wee early 90s. The first recording I heard was the Rhino Live in Vancouver album. I fell in love with "Another Age" immediately. About a year and a half ago, a neighborhood book and record store got in a slew of Phil records and I was able to obtain vinyl copies of Rehearsals, Greatest Hits, Postcard, In Concert and the comp Chords of Fame for very cheap. I recently found Pleasures at another record shop. I'm enjoying reading everyone's comments and what their favorites are.

JamieC likes this.
  21. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

I like "(L.A.) City of Tomorrow" from his last A&M album REHEARSALS FOR RETIREMENT.

22. JamieC

Marc Elliot is not held in very high regard by Phil's circle of friends. They have a lot of issues with him over the book. Glover gets furious if he is brought up. Something about quoting accurately I think. Personally, I think the book is very well written and hits the mark pretty well and I would score it an 85 or so. On the other hand, Micheal Schumacher's book(There But For Fortune: The Life Of Phil Ochs) I rate in the high 90s. It is the one that Glover endorsed at the time.
    When Elliots book came out, I borrowed it from a mutual friend of mine and Jim's in Bradenton and read it cover to cover twice in two days. Think it was the same copy that Glover read.

In any case good luck to anyone looking for a copy of either book as they are both out of print and go for almost stupid money.

23. JamieC

Not by me. Phil has been front and center with me since I was 11 in 67. Among my first live performance set was No More Songs which I picked up by ear(I was still learning the guitar and do not read music or tabs). When I finally got around to recording my CD in 95 the centerpiece among my own songs is my version of Crucifixion which is set at a faster tempo and in my head is an amalgam of Phil, Jim and Jean, Glenn Yarborough, and Garnet Rogers who was the direct inspiration for my arrangement.

24. JamieC

The World Began in Eden But Ended in Los Angeles. And he did one more LP and the Live Gunfight album.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Most video documentaries do not include complete song clips. Sometimes this is a director's decision based on his or her idea of pacing, but most often it is because the licensing rights to full clips can be exponentially higher cost than just fragments. That is very unfortunate