The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The remix in the CD is almost ear splitingly loud, but I've noticed a much more fuller and balanced mix. I've also noticed a depth to the sound which I bever got from the older stereo mix.

The vinyl is much more mellow, not as sharp in the high end and feels a bit warmer. It will probably be my main medium for listening to the remix.

Overall - not a bad remix...waiting for The White Album now!

John Bliss likes this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Can you advise us if the outtakes/alternates discs are mastered as loudly and badly as the first disc in the box?

Beatle Terr likes this.
  3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Thanks, probably I will. As a side note I want to tell to anyone who's not agree or pay too much attention to my generally negative opinion about the new mix, that I have an extremely sensitive hearing (not saying that my hearing is outstanding or that I can hear extreme lows and highs - never measure it, but I can hear very slight and distant noises and sounds etc.), so, for instance, I cannot go to a cinema theater or an amplified live show without some ear plugs. For sure this adds to my bad experience with this mix. Otherwise I'm not a crazy audiophile, or purist, and I'm not considering "compression" a dirty word in general. But to my ears this mix is just painful, that's all.

bobcat, formu_la, ParloFax and 2 others like this.
  4. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Sounds amazing
    Less compression than cd

John Bliss, mikrt17 and Beatle Terr like this.
  5. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Mine was ordered from Amazon as a B-day gift for me to receive today.

So what is the cool little poster from Bull Moose as I didn't know of anything like that?

6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

All songwriting credits I've seen are along the lines of "Songs written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, except *George Harrison"

Honestly - would Yoko sign off on anything else??

marmil likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Am I the only one who sees this remix as your grandpa walking around with his baseball cap turned sideways in a feeble attempt to fit in at the party?

I might be okay with... I mean, "Good Morning" sounds interesting, but Jesus wept did they have to bury everything in so much bass? I can't get close enough, there's this 5 story Peavy Amp in my face pushing me away. Why must the world around me be mastered for i-tunes? Not just music, I mean everything? It sure seems that way. Even the colors of the rainbow in the sky seem to be drenched in edge enhancement. It's their world now, I guess. I don't belong here.

I know, i know...reach out and turn down the bass levels....but my Sony Discman offers no such settings! :)

Maybe it was just this "flawed stereo mix" propaganda that rubbed me the wrong way. For 50 years it succeeded in being recognized as one of the best of all times (of course it's no "Pet Sounds" ha ha). And new generations continued to discover it without assistance from Giles Martin. Why now must The Beatles have to bend to the tone-deaf wishes of the i-Pod generation? And will it actually impress the young people or will they just shrug and go back to their Beyonce and Chain Smokers albums (or electronic files or whatever it is they use now)?

Tune in tomorrow when I change my stance and publicly announce I now like the remix.

Ok, off to disc 2. Personally, I find unfinished Beatle backing tracks as exciting as paint drying, but we'll see how it goes. God bless.

bobcat, dead of night, tages and 9 others like this.
  8. Beatle Terr

What an incredible and awesome review. I loved your honesty!! :cheers:

9. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

I really don't know what the hell you people are listening to! This is absolutely fabulous! It is a 50th anniversary remaster. Why would anyone want it to sound like the original album? I have the original album. These new lp's/cd's are remastered and they sound great! I am hearing things that I never heard before. Come on people put on your ears..

10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

After the fallout from the reversed McCartney-Lennon credits of Back In The World, I can't see it being anything other than Lennon-McCartney, especially on an official Beatles release.

11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Hate to say it but I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the compression and distortion on a few tracks. I thought it was my system at first. Right now I would give the 2017 remix an B+. Maybe as I acclimate to the new mix my grade would bump up to an A-. I do recall not liking Pepper at all when it first came out, but then growing to love it. I feel I should give the remix this same benefit of the doubt.

Sean Murdock, voles, Grant and 2 others like this.
  12. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Just got a chance to listen to the Blu-ray surround in DTS. I found it to be a fairly emotional experience. I'm 63 years old and grew up with this album. I learned to play bass by imitating McCartney's lines.
    I have at least 10 different vinyl versions, all the CD variations, etc.
    Listening to this today brought goosebumps. Some highlights for me:
    The lead guitar on Fixing a Hole
    The thundering fury and anger of Good Morning Good Morning
    The downright nasty Pepper reprise
    The orchestral crescendos of a Day in The Life
    The clarity of everything on the album is quite amazing. It reminds me of when we switched over to HD television.
    I'm not at all troubled by the "compression" on the recording. I think that Giles and the crew at Abbey Road did a superlative job.
    Later today I'll give the vinyl a listen. What a great day.

Tim Wilson, yarvelling, Digu and 25 others like this.
  13. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'm pleasantly surprised that most of the alt takes are new to my ears.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Gee, thanks.

Beatle Terr likes this.
  15. alexbunardzic

alexbunardzic Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing your impressions. I like your brief review (haven't heard any of the newly minted Pepper yet; I tend to believe your impressions, for some reason).

Please make sure to give us your review of the vinyl.

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I like the remix more than I expected. Weirdly, now that I've heard it all, my only criticisms are the ones I had before I'd even heard it ("Carnival of Light;" "Only A Northern Song;" "Penny Lane" promo mix transfer).

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Listening to this CD is like being hit repeatedly with a shovel.

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Really enjoying the remix!

19. m4murder

m4murder Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Lots of spines but not the one I wanted today!!!!!

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

In a good way? :p

notesfrom, voles, ceddy10165 and 4 others like this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, now there is an NEW eternal argument for Beatles fans to fight over. Better than all the old arguments, I suppose.

22. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I checked disc 2 and it is not as loud as the remix.

hodgo and Beatle Terr like this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Well I would expect it to sound like Sgt Pepper :). Obviously with it being reissued trice of late on vinyl (2 stereo and one mono) they had to do something different with it so we would all buy it over again. :crazy:

Beatle Terr likes this.
  24. Beatle Terr

VEECH...my MAN!!! Great to hear from you and your opinion on this. I just got the box set an hour or so via UPS so I've not had the pleasure of giving it a listen to yet.
    I might even wait until late tonight or after 12 PM to give it a first listen thru.
    So new 5:1 tracks too that should be way cool as well....nudge,nudge-wink,wink!!! <<TERR>>

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have only listened to the new high resolution Blu Ray stereo mix and to me, I prefer the original mix. I will give the box a fair shake and listen to the 5.1 mix, but right now I am not impressed.

Beatle Terr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.