High pitch noise at the end of Sgt. Pepper's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexbunardzic, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexbunardzic

alexbunardzic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I first listened to Sgt Pepper's when I was 10 years old. I distinctly remember hearing the high pitch noise that plays after "A Day In The Life" ends and before the stylus hits the inner groove loop.

Today, I only hear silence in those moments when the massive piano chord dies down and the inner groove loop kicks in.

Anyone on this forum young enough to still be able to hear the 15 kHz noise on Sgt. Pepper's inner groove?

2. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

I can't hear the high-pitched tone at all, but I'm sure someone here is complaining about how Giles applied too much compression to it.

Octowen, Mark E. Moon, Grant and 35 others like this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not to mention all the damn bass! Even the dogs are complaining!

Mark E. Moon, wwright, Wuther and 7 others like this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I thought it was a dog whistle.

Filtered out?

5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

At age 44, I can still hear it.

6. alexbunardzic

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained how, by trying to make the stereo mix of the high pitch tone sound more like mono, Giles went a bit overboard and gave us an atrociously muscular high pitch tone ;)

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. alexbunardzic

Wow, impressive!

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes, I can hear it, and on the new remix, too.

DennyFan88 and MsMaclen like this.
  9. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

Ditto, and was even thinking how well I hear it on the remix, and wondering if I've got canine blood in me. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    supermd likes this.
  10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I literally laughed out loud.

PDK likes this.
  11. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Nope. 52 here, and it's gone. The tinnitus in my left ear fills in for it, though.

12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Depending on what system or headphones I'm using, I can still hear it. (45 here.)

13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Nothing on my copy, though it is a US Capitol so it would be pretty weird if I did hear something.

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I've wondered since 1987 (since that's when I first owned a copy of the album that included the tone) if it was actually 15khz, since I've always heard it easily.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Funny. I double checked the 'aaahh's in A Day In The Life yesterday, to see if I had changed my mind (I haven't - still definitely John), and forgot about the noise, but it was still there, and audible but much fainter. Not sure if that's a sign I'm losing my hearing range, or the noise cancelling headphones filter out the frequency.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Arf arf arf! :pug::pug::pug:

MsMaclen likes this.
  18. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Was listening to this in the car earlier with the wife, we had parked whilst A Day In The Life was in full swing and I said I wanted to hear the end before getting out. The piano crashed and we waited. My wife knows the album, knows there is something beyond the piano but not enough to really pay too much attention.

The high pitch tone starts and I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me or anything. Erin, on the other hand, puts her hands over her ears and shouts 'ouch, wtf is that?!' - she does have amazing hearing, no doubt, but I've never known it to give her that reaction before!

FJFP, bluerondo and MsMaclen like this.
  19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just curious: What was the source to which you were listening? LP? CD? From which country, etc.?

20. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

Really funny, I've been having the same experience as your wife. I've never failed to hear it, but it never bothered me. Yet on the remix it's causing me physical pain. Giles seems to have cleaned it up a little too well!

21. I lost the ability to hear it at 50. It's coming or going...

22. It wasn't on the North American release when first released, did you hear an import? If Giles had not included now I doubt many older fans would notice. I wouldn't.

23. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Oh wow! That's a little concerning!

MsMaclen likes this.
  24. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

Ha ha, it's mostly just irritating, but my first reaction was to plug my ears as well. I wonder if this has anything to do with it, Are women more sensitive to high-pitched noises than men? , and I wonder how many women listened to it before release!

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    autumn daze likes this.
  25. The Steve Hoffman Forums, where you can have an entire thread dedicated to a 15khz tone in a Beatles song.
    I wouldn't have it any other way.

fogalu, Keith V, wwright and 24 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.