Rod Stewart album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I hate bashing Rod, so I'll just go with your review.

Here's my positive spin: I got to hear him sing on a record.

The song choice was kind of weird. Why? "He" actually had the rock classics. Might as well have re recorded his own stuff....for the most part.

2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'm going to go back and give this a spin in a few minutes. Haha, just waiting for Metallica "Ride The Lightning" to end. Stayed home from the office today. My wife is all too used to this schizo music room now. Though she's far from this end of the property, she uses the intercom system connected. The system is wired so you can set to eavesdrop. A text message picks up her voice message. I often get "you're nuts, from Rod Stewart back to the Devil" (literally reserved for Slayer, early thrash vs anything else she likes, & she loves Rod-we both do.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I just want to thank @Matthew Tate again. You did a good thing here, bro.

@duggan @rs4951 @dee @PacificOceanBlue @kollektionist @krock2009 (and some others) have done something special with Matthew's thread.

This album by album thread is one of the least prolific in terms of contributors.

But, I can now archive it among the Elvis, Sabbath, Stones, ABB, Kiss..etc threads for this reason:

The contributors are some of the most profound, comprehensive, and informative in what they post.

Great thanks to you all. I said before that my schedule has been a bit wonky. But there's another reason that I've contributed only sporadically & a bit "out of order."

Here's why: you guys are damned good!! You either took the words out of my mouth or wrote words that I'd like to have had in my mouth. They're in my brain & in my heart now. I've spent most of my time reading, nodding in agreement, and wanting to read more. Some of these opinions (and facts)...make me wish there was a button besides "like" and "reply." There would be two buttons "defining statement" and "publish."

Damn good work!!!!!! Essential thread, imo.

4. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I echo everything that's been said here.

dee, Matthew Tate and Clanceman like this.
  5. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

You too....I always miss someone when I tag. On behalf of Matthew & all, thanks for your contributions. You're a good man. I appreciate so many members on these forums. Damned good thread: "Smiler" mag would be proud. :righton:

6. KinkySmallFace1991

Aww...you're too kind. Faces are one of my favorite groups and that book Had Me A Real Good Time told me a lot of what I knew about Jeff Beck Group and Rod solo '69-'75 in addition to Faces.

@Clanceman We should probably take to PM soon. We've got a lot of music in common. If you like Cream (which I think I read that you do), you should check out their album-by-album thread. I think @PacificOceanBlue contributed to that one.

Clanceman and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This is one I did not acquire or even streamed for a test drive. I just did not like the direction these themed collections were going. I am a big Rod Stewart enthusiast and view him as one of the most prolific and important rock artists in history (even with extensive periods where there were gaps in the quality of his work), but I just couldn't handle this one, even with a relatively decent track listing. If and when he releases his country themed collection, I will probably approach it the same way.

Now a blues collection would be intriguing, assuming it was produced correctly and had some compelling guests on guitar and piano. As far as I know, no such project has been under consideration, other than the aborted project with Jeff Beck.

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Your enthusiastic and joyous posts are a pleasure to read Clanceman.

9. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

You bring the red wine
    Ill bring the ludes

Now that is ROD (on that so called disco album)

Jeremy Holiday and Clanceman like this.
  10. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

The sessions that became Time started as a blues project. Not Blues-book jn the J style but one produced with his keyboardist Chuck Kentis and featuring his live band. It was being recorded on analogue tape...then he wrote Brighton Beach and hooked up again with Kevin Savigar...Shake your moneymaker..a bonus on Time was from that initial phase. Tiger in my tank was also done I believe..

Clanceman, dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

glad you enjoy the thread

Clanceman and dee like this.
  12. KinkySmallFace1991

How about Ronnie Wood for a compelling guest on guitar?

Clanceman likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, along with Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Joe Bonamassa, Taj Mahal, maybe John Mayer and Derek Trucks, and of course Jeff Beck.

14. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I remember your enthusiastic and glowing words on the Another Country thread so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Time.

15. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I've just had the spin. It took two attempts after the horror of My Cherie Amour.

To be fair, there are quite a few really enjoyable tracks, Higher and Higher probably the most successful and Love Train the most fun.

It struck me that the arrangements really set up an environment that almost encouraged the lacklustre performances.

Imagine if Rod had said "I'm in charge and I'm going to sing 20 soul tracks that I love. I'll produce the record and sing channeling my heroes Sam and Otis. By the way, I'm going to ask Steve Cropper to put a band together for me."

16. Matthew Tate

my thoughts

Soulbook (2009)

on paper this seemed like a winner of an idea. execution though it sounds like rod singing over the original backing tracks. there is very little passion in the vocals. just a disappointing effort. I have no use for this at all. rod is capable of so much more.

dee, peachyg72, rs4951 and 1 other person like this.
  17. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Playing the Soulbook right now.
    Noticed a few comments on My Cherie Amour. Just a personal opinion but I think it's a lame song to begin with. Anyway, Let It Be Me is making me wanna hit the Stop-button...:yikes:

duggan, rs4951 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

One of the few Warner era Rod's that I like, after F&FF it was a good time to jump ship.

19. Matthew Tate

up next

Merry Christmas Baby (2012)

Track Listing
    1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
    2. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
    3. Winter Wonderland
    4. White Christmas
    5. Baby Merry Christmas
    6. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
    7. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? - (featuring Chris Botti)
    8. Blue Christmas
    9. Red-Suited Super Man
    10. When You Wish Upon a Star
    11. We Three Kings
    12. Silent Night
    13. Auld Lang Syne

20. kollektionist

I hate playing a Xmas album at any other time but Xmas. I'm not gonna make an exception here. Only played it once but seem to remember it's not too bad. Rather surprising track list. I was expecting (hoping) for some more R&B based songs like Blue Christmas. I'd say that would have made a better album than these very traditional songs. But things could be worse, so a passing grade from me. Only 6 more months to go and I'll give it a spin ;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

that's how I feel about xmas albums and in fact I rarely play them at all anymore

kollektionist likes this.
  22. kollektionist

Not that it has anything to do with this thread, but it is possible to come up with a Xmas album without including all those "classics". Elvis did it, Ringo did it, Jethro Tull did it, The Moody Blues did it and of course Phil Spector did it. It does take a bit more effort though...

duggan, rs4951 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

As others have said, the darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

next album will be posted tonight

25. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

A couple of random things:

1 It seems the video for "You're The Star" was released in May, indicating that it was probably WB's first choice for a single before they forced Rod to record "Virginia". I think "Star" was the better ballad than "This", since it has minimal production on it, which was in step with the musical times in 1995. Of course, come 1996 Celine Dion brings overproduced bombast back.

2. Any thoughts on Rod's take on Carol King's "So Far Away" that came out at the end of 1995? Video shows possibly the only time we saw Rod with facial hair.

3. When did Rod stop smoking?

4. What was Rod's first album to give in to the "loudness wars" ? "New Boys" or "Human"?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.