Mary Hopkin Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonnyKidd, May 25, 2017.

1. JonnyKidd

JonnyKidd Forum Resident Thread Starter

My favourites.

1. Que Sera Sera
    2. Turn Turn Turn
    3. Temma Harbour

dewey02 likes this.
  2. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

[​IMG]

Well, I did see Mary live and she did sing, Those Were The Days. :whistle:

A very special day.

3. JonnyKidd

Very nice, Randoms! What was she like live?

bob60 and Randoms like this.
  4. Randoms

It was a very long time ago, I think it was Dec 1969, but may have been early 1970, and she sang beautifully. Being a pantomime, there was a lot of audience participation on the chorus and she came across as a very genuine person.

After reading this thread and hearing some of the clips, I am definitely going to search out an album; after 47 years, I think I have given her a chance to grow on me!

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    JonnyKidd likes this.
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wow, it didn't take long for her career to plummet to pantomimes did it?

Randoms and JonnyKidd like this.
  6. Randoms

.... at least it was the London Palladium, and Tommy Steele was massive ........... in the 50s.

Keep it quiet on this thread, but I don't think that my mum actually took me, to specifically see, Mary! :D

bob60 likes this.
  7. JonnyKidd

Mary performing at Eurovision 1970 with the song 'Knock Knock, Who's There?'

bob60, bluemooze, willy and 3 others like this.
  8. Randoms

I must have been watching Eurovision in 1970, how tragic. That was the year that also gave us Dana.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, the same fellow.

10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

My all time favorite album, period. Absolutely timeless, and a perfect distillation of the mellow afterglow when the door was slammed on the sixties.

Post Card is a poor cousin to it, but I do love some of the songs on it (it's just really inconsistent and rather dated). Most of the non-album Apple singles were great too, especially "Temma Harbour". (I don't care much for "Knock Knock Who's There", which I've heard Hopkin herself hated.) I also have a copy of her 1976 single "If You Love Me", though I can't recall just where I found it.

Later albums, besides The King of Elfland's Daughter, include Oasis from 1984 (a one-off band, no relation to that Oasis), which has the odd distinction of being the last album I bought on cassette (circa 2002). It's nothing special, but her singing is great here as always.
    [​IMG]

11. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Mary Hopkin, or rather her (and Tony Visconti's) daughter has published quite a few archive recordings in the last few years. Sadly, the sleeve notes hardly give any specific information other than the composers, players and mention that the tracks cover the 1972-1980 period. Which means that Mary was recording almost constantly at that time, but simply not releasing the results (except for a couple of singles in 1976 and 1977).

She even covers some Emitt Rhodes songs and former Wings Laurence Juber plays on some tracks as well.

These archive CDs include "Live At The Royal Festival Hall 1972" (when she was promoting "Earth Song/Ocean Song") and the studio collections "Now And Then", "Valentine" and "Recollections".

12. JonnyKidd

[​IMG]
    And of course, Mary appears on the Apple Walls Ice Cream EP. Would love to get my hands on it.

phillyal1, bluemooze, bekayne and 2 others like this.
  13. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I liked Dana. A bit twee, but she definitely won it that year on cuteness alone.

bluemooze, willy and Randoms like this.
  14. Pat Richmond

Pat Richmond Forum Resident

Been a fan since her Opp Knocks appearances. Earth Song Ocean Song is now IMO a classic. But since she started her own Label in 2005 she has been releasing her back catalogue and there are some absolute gems especially her "Live at the Royal Festival Hall 1972" Mary Hopkin Music ....

Pat

Randoms, bluemooze, Calico and 3 others like this.
  15. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

My favourite Mary recording - from Earth Song, Ocean song, Ralph McTell's delightful 'Siver Birch and Weeping Willow'

I love the imagery of her standing in the park waiting for her date to arrive "...and I'm wondering if he will come". The beauty of the scenery is such that by the end of the song, although he has yet to show, Mary is already lying back in the grass, watching the sun go down and declaring: "And I don't care at all if he will come..."

Beautiful.

16. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

Earth Song Ocean Song is a masterpiece! Love Postcard also.

Boom Operator and bluemooze like this.
  17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another vote for Temma Harbour.

Boom Operator and JonnyKidd like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

bluemooze likes this.
  19. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Ungrateful so and so, he should have given it to someone else, then.

Zeroninety likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's not a popular opinion, but I loved Knock Knock Who's There! The perfect song for her voice.

It's a crime it's not available on CD!

Randoms, bob60 and JonnyKidd like this.
  21. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

FYI....
    Available on her "greatest hits" disc Those Were The Days.

22. JonnyKidd

I've got the USA pressing of the Those Were the Days LP. I only just discovered on Discogs there's a UK pressing too (perhaps not surprising). It's funny how common US pressings seem to be, and perhaps cheaper. According to Discogs, the UK pressing sells from $44 upwards.

I wonder why this is.

23. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Awhile back I discovered her early Welsh language recordings on Spotify, and they're delightful.

Here's her version of "Turn, Turn, Turn":

Randoms, bluemooze, JamieC and 3 others like this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The late 60's/early 70's was the best period for the UK Eurovision entries.
    All of those fab 'dolly bird' singers in mini skirts and hot pants with big hair singing fab songs. Mary Hopkins, Clodagh Rodgers, Sandie Shaw, Lulu, Olivia Newton John And there was Cliff Richard in amongst them all for good measure.
    I know the term 'dolly birds' has gone out of fashion but are we still allowed to use it or is it against the law or something these days?

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Well, if your post doesn't get deleted we'll assume 'dolly birds' is still OK.:D

bob60 and Randoms like this.