The Ahhs in A Day in the Life-Poll*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by adm62, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Again, we know how the song was recorded and have a transfer of the same multitrack to listen to.

Laservampire likes this.
  2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It's dead-on, actually.

tages, Laservampire and lukpac like this.
  3. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Correction.

That's 52% for John solo and 48% for not John solo.

That is a basically a tie.

Laservampire likes this.
  4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member Thread Starter

I think today John has got about 40 more votes. Paul maybe around 20?

Currently JL 410
    PM 178
    Both 143

5. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It's interesting how much talking and noise-making is going on. Paul sort of mumbles to himself and then counts off his vocal intro, and not in a whisper either. Add in all the extraneous noises in the background, must have given Sir George heartburn:D Ron

MoonPool likes this.
  6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Why is the word of Chip (who's a GREAT guy), Steve or anyone of authority be more likely to be correct than one of us? Some of us are quite credentialed in our own right and have the ability to decipher as well as those you mentioned. I can't say this enough. Giles tweet WAS off-the-cuff. He answered without hesitation because he didn't go back and listen to the track. I know this for fact. You keep insinuating that he COULD have listened intently to chatter, isolated vocals and all that before answering. He did not. Next time I'll have pictures taken and posted to prove myself. And I bet that STILL wouldn't sway you. Ron

PS Lukpac has perhaps the BEST ears on this forum. He knows what he's talking about and has the good sense not to usually get caught up in the back-and-forth minutia. Please listen to the various isolated vocal tracks... last posted, I believe on page 37. If John is singing the 'ahhs' who's making the oohs and howls? It ain't Paul.

7. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

I seriously doubt that Giles put forth very much thought and research in his John tweet. It's not like he was saying "by listening to the most obscure tapes, I have finally gotten to the bottom of this great debate." I would be very surprised if he even knew this debate existed. And if you don't know that this debate exists, you're not searching for any bit of evidence of one singer or another. If we all believe that George sings Happy Just to Dance With You, we're not going to notice the supporting evidence of that fact, even though, there would be plenty of it. (I do realize that the biggest piece of evidence is "because it sounds like George", but we can't solely use that type of evidence in the case of the Ahhs because it somehow sounds like different singers to different people.)

supermd, Oliver and lukpac like this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:agree: Frustratingly so, sometimes. ;)

9. My lard! Believe what you want. I'm sticking with Giles and mine own ears. No offense to you or to Lukpac's ears. In fact, I'll go as far to say that Lukpac could write a good book with all his music knowledge. Still, the presumptions and conclusions you guys are throwing out are all opinion and conjecture, not fact, and I'll take Giles' first hand experience over armchair quarterbacking.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  10. Ha! Funny. Proof that statistics can say whatever you want them to. :laugh:

You could also say it's 22% for Paul solo and 78% for not Paul solo.

MoonPool likes this.
  11. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Funny to see how "it's Paul" people rely only on their own ears while "it's John" people keep saying "It sounds like John AND I believe what Giles and Geoff say", as if subconsciously they're not all that sure and need some support. Just an observation.

Well, Paul said in an interview that he doesn't sing on Come Together that John wanted to sing the harmony himself. I don't care what is Paul saying, he is wrong. It IS Paul on the record doing the lower harmony.

Ondra

12. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

So, you think that the "ahhs" sound "not at all like Paul" and you "don't hear that at all", yet "if Giles said it was Paul", you would admit that it was Paul. Meaning that, despite your confidence in the accuracy of your own ears, you would immediately reverse your thinking if Giles were to say something that contradicted what you feel certain you're hearing. Is that right?

Titanium Girl, supermd and Onder like this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Except you have that completely, 100% backwards. Giles has provided nothing other than an offhand statement, while the "armchair quarterbacks" have put forward hard evidence. You've simply chosen to ignore it because of who has put it forward.

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

If we can't trust Giles' knowledge about who is singing what, who can we trust?

15. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Might as well chime in, but don't think that I'm no nut ;) :

--the "aah's" at the intro of Lovely Rita: I always thought they were Paul. The Beatles Rockband video on YouTube shows it as Paul, for what that's worth, yeah probably nothing...

--the harmony "mai-ai-ai-aid" and "aah's" just prior to the piano solo of Lovely Rita: I always thought they were John. The Rockband video shows them as John and George, yada yada...

--the "aah's" in the dream sequence for A Day In The Life: I always thought they were John. The Rockband video shows them as John...

--my ears have always told me the "aah's" at the beginning of Lovely Rita and the dream sequence of ADITL were sung by 2 different people, Paul and John respectively, that's how I've always heard them. They are distinctively different according to my ears. Regardless of what Giles and Geoff are saying. For what that's worth...

For those of you looking to compare more stuff, then compare the "aah's" just before the piano solo of Lovely Rita with the "aah's" dream sequence of ADITL, and get back to us... ;)

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"Martin joined the "Ahhs" section to John's next verse"? What is that supposed to mean? They were recorded in the same take as Paul's lead vocal. Whatever their function, they were recorded as part of Paul's section, not John's.

slane likes this.
  17. S. P. Honeybunch

The reason why John recorded it after Paul's lead vocal was likely due to John having two important singing parts right after each other. It makes less sense to have Paul recording those two parts right after each other on the same take due to the flexibility that different takes would offer Paul. It's not that Paul couldn't accomplish such a feat, but merely that punching in and out gives the singer more flexibility with laying down the perfect performance.

18. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

What is the source of the "pitched down" track?

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Regardless of whether or not you agree that Paul sings the "ahhhhs," wouldn't you say the "ahhhh" section itself is, I dunno, kinda dreamy?

20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

To me it sounds more like a choir of cosmic lamentation. :cool:

Dinstun and supermd like this.
  21. S. P. Honeybunch

Whether it sounds dreamy or not isn't going to sway either side. The issue is how John's voice sounds when he's singing the "ahhs".

22. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i have always thought it was John but if Giles had said it was Paul I would accept that, shame others who think its Paul cannot do the same.

Its a bit like the remoaners, because brexit won the referendum they want to have another vote before brexit can be finalised, but had it been the other way around the same demand from the other side would have been laughed out of town and rightly so.

Billy Budapest and JoeF. like this.
  23. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

are they ? you know this for a fact ? - I do not lay claim to knowing for sure that it is not but I'd like to know why you know it " WAS "

and even if it was ( citation still required ) it is still a linking section from Paul's to John's song just as the first ascending section was a link from John's to Paul's.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As already stated:

Paul's vocal and the "ahh" section was recorded in one continuous take.

MoonPool, Onder, Laservampire and 2 others like this.
  25. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I always thought it was John, but this voice is Paul.

nikh33 and Hall Cat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.