Black Sabbath Color Vinyl 180g US reissues - August 5, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

I Now Have the S/T Album on Colored vinyl from 2016 and it sound great! :)

John Bliss likes this.
  2. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It looks like some of the 2016 colored vinyl is becoming scarce. I was looking around to pick up Paranoid on blue vinyl, and the price has really shot upwards.

3. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I own a record store, and a lot of the Black Sabbath releases seem to have disappeared from distributors. I haven't been able to get a copy of Paranoid for the store, colored or black vinyl, in over a month. The deluxe edition seems to be available, but it's a bit pricey, so i haven't ordered one.

jason202 likes this.
  4. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It probably won't be long until these are reissued yet again.

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  5. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

That's what I figure. Those early Sabbath albums sell too consistently to be out of print for very long. Of course, the distributors I buy from still have plenty of copies of "Technical Ecstasy" and "Never Say Die"!

6. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I love my never say die grey vinyl. Killer

peteham, John Bliss and jason202 like this.
  7. Zombie

Zombie Forum Resident

There seems to be quite a few on Amazon Canada available for 31 dollars CDN.

8. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I bought one of each album. I like them. The Dio Sabbath albums need to be reissued. Colored vinyl or black.

9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

This!

John Bliss likes this.
  10. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'd even like to see Born Again reissued, though it sounds like there's little hope that the problems with that record will ever be remedied.

John Bliss and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  11. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

You know, I've thought about this. If they wanted to do a deluxe edition they could make a 2LP release like they did with the first 3 albums, where the second record had the album remixed, or some songs remixed along with outtakes, like Zeppelin did. Make it a limited edition if need be.

jason202 likes this.
  12. Pavol Stromcek

That'd be a cool idea. Even the oft-bootlegged rough mix, which I kind of prefer to the proper mix, would be cool to include on a second disc.

John Bliss likes this.
  13. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

That would be very nice indeed. Though the last I remember reading was that the tapes for this album were missing. No idea what sort of effort has been put into locating them—it's hard to imagine this album being a big priority for anyone involved. It's one of my favorite post-Ozzie albums.

John Bliss likes this.
  14. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I just bought the 2016 red colored s/t after reading this thread and gave it a spin. No pressing defects at all thankfully. I sold off my worn WB greenie years ago so can't compare, but next to the original US CD and a cd copy of an original UK Vertigo needledrop, this one sounds lifeless. High end is missing, reverb buried, and soundstage collapsed. It's not terrible by any stretch, is crankable, however by comparison my cd' s trounce it. To bad because I really wanted to like it.

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

You might need some time to adjust to it.

The original Warner CD had so much treble boost that your mind may need a reset. :)

Also, the original UK Vertigo LP was on the bright side.

16. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Paranoid is back in print, and while it's the 2016 version, the copy I just received from Amazon is on black vinyl, despite the product page listing it as blue.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have the first three on colored vinyl and thought they were all quite good. Need to eventually invest in some original Vertigos...

On a side note I happened to do a comparison between the US green label Warner MOR and a 1970s NEMS and it was shocking how much better the NEMS was. Far more crisp and clear.

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. Pavol Stromcek

That's interesting - I have an old Vertigo MOR, and compared to the Rhino LP and a older Warner's pressing (but not green label), it's also much more crisp and clear sounding. Unfortunately, my Vertigo is not in the greatest condition, but I've kept it in part because of how good it sounds. I wonder if the NEMS sounds similar to the Vertigo.

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't have MOR on NEMS, but I have the debut, Paranoid and Vol 4 and at least the first two used WWA stampers. I haven't checked Vol 4 or I did and can't remember! :laugh:

20. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

So if the U.K [ressing on Vertogo and WWA are superior, how come there hasn't been a quality reissue campaign using those tapes? I'd pay premium prices if they did it.

21. dkmonroe

I believe that the Sanctuary reissues used those tapes (or digital masters cut from those tapes). Some of those LP's are still available but I don't own any so I can't vouch for their quality.

22. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Even if they are, why not a new, quality reissue campaign using the best U.K tapes possible? They have done it with many popular jazz artists, using tapes that are decades older and have gotten top dollar for the product when it hits the shelves. I'm sure there are people lined up with money in their hand.

23. dkmonroe

The Sanctuary reissues may have been that campaign, although they reportedly weren't AAA which is disappointing to some. There was a box set with a purple cover that came out maybe 4 years ago. There's actually going to be a new one called The Ten Year War released in a few months and it's going to be EU/UK only and it reportedly will use the same masters as the previous box.

24. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Any links to that box set?

25. dkmonroe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.