Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Well said. As for me, I bought one copy of Abraxas on impulse, and after getting it I just couldn't justify to myself keeping it because it just isn't one of my go-to albums. I sold that one copy at a market price. I didn't buy the one copy with intent to flip, I clicked on it because I was caught up in the excitement and they were going fast, by all indications. Get it now, decide later, because if I didn't get it now, it would be too late and the decision would be made for me. Part of the reason I made that move was because I knew flippers would be buying multiple copies, so I did not have leisure time. I did not purchase the Evans package, despite the strong opportunity for profit, because I had no tentative interest in owning the album. Now, I have pre-ordered TN, just one copy, as it is one of my favorite albums, and if it sounds like I hope it will, I am keeping it. If it doesn't after playing, I will move it. I don't like folks buying multiple copies of a limited item with intent to jack up prices and make money. That deprives others of choices. It's similar to checking a clearing house for secondary concert tickets, a couple of hours after "fan presale" opens, and finding half of the front row up for sale by one vendor.

AnalogJ likes this.
  2. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

It was still a d*ckmove to buy up multiple copies to flip.

AnalogJ likes this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm not a "flipper" as I don't actually ever sell anything, but I used to be a bit of a collector. I still have every DCC Gold CD, and have almost all of the DCC vinyl titles. I also purchased almost all of the "first generation" Mobile Fidelity Gold CD releases from the late 80's until they stopped operations in 1999 (I think I missed seven or eight titles). I think that you are suggesting that it is strange to buy CDs/LPs just to collect (i.e., you are being "sarcastic" when you say that wanting it is a strange reason to purchase?), and I now agree with you. When DCC and MFSL ceased operations, I stopped buying music just to "collect" as I realized that many of the albums I bought had never even been opened because I didn't have the time to listen.

I now try to limit myself to what I actually might listen to, and as a result, purchase only a handful of Mobile Fidelity albums each year. Sometimes, though, that old "collector" instinct comes out, and I end up buying something because it might go "out of print". I think I purchased almost every pop-rock title released by Classic Records when the rumors started (in 2005-06?) that they might be stopping operations. And again, if I had to be honest, that's probably also the reason I bought the Santana and Evans titles (I like Abraxas, but I already have a couple audiophile versions, including a recent MOFI CD that I still haven't listened to). Oh well, I'm still recovering - not buying The Nightfly is a step in the right direction. One day at a time . . . . one day at a time. . .

4. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

:tsk:
    It really was necessary because it was publicly brought to attention...AGAIN.....A person can offer a reply when someone is obviously trying to stir the pot....so as far as expressing my right to respond to a public shaming....I took the liberty to do so.....I mean it's what the member wanted or else he wouldn't have alluded to it.....

If for nothing else, I guess I know how the venture capitalists and 1%'s feel when they are bashed by the "regular" people.......but alas....let those who have never boughtlow to sell high cast the first stone..

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Santana was an attempt to test the marketplace with a modestly in demand title with superior sound.

Having now established a hunger, they're looking for suckers willing to fund a DDD title transferred to vinyl, when there are already reference digital copies available. Oh, and they're vastly increasing the pressing number.

Brilliant marketing for MF, but this is just a stupid choice pressed way too highly. But now all the flippers are excitedly waiting to buy a bunch to make cash. I think they'll choke on this one and so be it.

AtlTrav and whaiyun like this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

I'm not a flipper either. Buts lets not pretend this place is the moral high ground.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I was being sarcastic, as though it's so old school to buy an album because you want it. That's why I buy records.

You call it stirring the pot? Perhaps. I just call it a "call back", a comedian's reference to an earlier joke. But as with most jokes, there's some truth in it.

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

I listened to my vinyl copy of The Nightfly which is 180 gram and was bought around 7-8 years ago at a local shop. Warner record number 530187-1.

The blue sleeve included states:
    "Original Mastering: Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, N.Y.C."
    "Chief Engineer: Roger Nichols"
    "Recorded and mixed entirely on 3M digital 32 track tape and 4 track machines at Soundworks Digital Audio Video Recording Studios, N.Y., Village Recorder, LAA and Automated Sound, N.Y."

The deadwax has the distinct letters "CB" which is Chris Bellman from Bernie Grundman Mastering. Known to be top notch in vinyl cutting, as we know.

Well, this is not a good sounding LP at all. The treble still sounds quite tinny and annoying, like the CD. Bass is mixed way below the treble. Guitars and electric piano sound anything but organic. In fact, the sound as a whole sounds quite "machine like" to me. Hard to explain actually. I almost forgot I had this album and now I see why.

I recall when this album came out it was hailed as being all digital (DDD) before most of us came to realize how horrible that usually sounds.

Maybe MFSL can improve this. If anyone can, it's them. But if Bellman couldn't improve it then it might just be the recording.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sounds like a dumb title to be doing

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

But so was the one before that imo.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Things were different in the good old days. I was a Beatles fan and collector for a couple of decades - and would buy every new release, sometimes even buy two copies (one to keep sealed). Lots of Beatles collectors used to do that. But there were always lots of copies floating around. It would take years for something to go "out of print" and "flipping" didn't exist. In fact, very few people actually sold anything. There was no internet, just Goldmine magazine, some swap meets, maybe a goodwill shop, and a handful of record stores in your local town. Collecting was a lot of fun back then.

bigal00769 and teag like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Why do you say that? Is it because most people already have a good sounding copy, that can't really be improved? I've never owned the album, but read that it is the best jazz live recording of all time, so I thought that I would give it a shot.

RiRiIII and Tommyboy like this.
  13. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I did it that one time to help buy a table.....if I was a career flipper I never would have have mentioned it last November as a pro wouldn't broadcast his techniques and prospects........I bought two copies of Bill Evans Another Time 3 weeks ago from an international seller because irlt made sense shipping cost wise and earlier this week I sold the spare to a SHF member at my cost.....that's not being a smart flipper if I was one.....and I'll bet there's a few members who live in the lower end of the pay scale who might take an opportunity to flip a few records so they could buy the table they have been wanting.....the records were available for a month after release and if me buying multiple copies of this when there was no limit prevented any member here from getting one then i sincerely. apologize.... I assumed that folks who were members on this forum who wanted a copy had pre-ordered far before actual release because most of us know what's coming......I am a vinyl lover not a flipper.....I do sell records that I've gotten sick of or don't play anymore at times as I know many here do.....but I don't regularly supplement my income by buying new records to flip.....I just wanted a table that was out of my price range.....sorry if this turned some people off....

14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My nominations for Mo-Fi one-step:

The Beatles: Abbey Road
    Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon
    Supertramp: Breakfast In America
    Dave Brubeck: Time Out
    Claude Bolling: Suite For Flute And Jazz Piano
    Cat Stevens: Tea For The Tillerman
    Chicago: Chicago VII
    Michael Jackson: Off The Wall
    Esquivel: Latin-Esque
    Deodato: Prelude
    Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66: Look Around
    Astrud Gilberto: A certain Smile, A Certain sadness
    Harry Belafonte: At Carnegie Hall - The Complete Concert

and many more.......

15. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

What you do with a record after you buy it is your business. Period.

The Beave, bootbox and TheSixthBeatle like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Which won't be made available by the labels. I think Mo-Fi may have a rather limited number of titles they can licence for these one step discs?

17. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

It depends on the label and their mutual agreement with MoFi..

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No, its because there are much better and better sounding Bill Evans titles they could use. The album has a lot of extended bass solos and other distracting audience noises.

Is it a cool live album? Sure. It has a certain ambience and vibe to it. I have it. But for 100$ mega limited edition choice? Its a bit of a wtf moment for me.

By saying "Ive never owned the album" I hope you dont mean youve never even listened to the album to see if you like it muchless love it enough to drop 100$ on a super duper version...

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If the guy finds a record cheaply at one place and decides to flip the LP and sell it at a higher price, that's his choice. Why judge him? It's his business.

bootbox and Twinsfan007 like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just because you disagree it doesn't make it a bad business choice for MoFi. It sold out didn't it?

giantleech and AtlTrav like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I didnt say it was a bad business choice.

22. It's all about licensing. They release what they can get the license for at a fair price.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I bought it based on reputation as a great live album. I grew up listening to my Dad's copy of Portrait in Jazz and am familiar with Interplay, so it's not a complete crapshoot, but I've never heard the album.

24. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

And technically if one ever bought over list price on the secondary market are they not contributing to the problem? I want somebody to sell me Beck's Sea Change from Mofi for list price but it's not gonna happen. It's called..the world isn't fair, especially in a capitalistic society.

The Beave likes this.
  25. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

anybody know if the bill Evans one step came out today?