The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Do you leave the radio on so the dog doesn't feel alone when you're out, or is it on all the time?

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

frogfog and warewolf95 like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Presumably the 2-14-70 early version. "Never before heard" on an official release, but available.

5. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

This is a bump for the drawing for my sealed Get Shown The Light box (deluxe version), available to people who donate directly to their choice of animal rescues/shelters by June 1. We have to get to $1,000 of total contributions, and right now we're around $275.

The link in my sig goes the post with the details. Please consider contributing to the organization of your choice and picking up a chance to win a nice deluxe set as a bonus!

Lil' Brian likes this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's mostly just for when we are out, but when I work from home, like today (car's in the shop), I'll often put it on just to make him feel like he does when we aren't there so he won't come upstairs and stare at me to play.

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I caught the Shoreline Americanarama show where Weir guested with both My Morning Jacket and Wilco. Everything except for Dylan's anticlimactic closing set was terrific. Weir played Dark Star and St. Stephen with Wilco, and the Wilco track on the covers album is from that show. Wish I could have caught more than one show on that tour, but I picked a great one at least.

deadjazz and unravelled like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That one and maybe Easy Wind on Workingman's...

9. Ezzie

Ezzie Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars

Arch who you want in the cup? I'm going with the Pens, Cullen is a Moorhead Mn guy. Great game lastnite btw...

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If I come home after leaving my dog alone all day in the company of the radio, she looks at me like saying "not only did you leave me alone, but I had to cope with this crappy noise all the time. Come here, walk me out, then play with me and turn that sucker off right now!" :laugh:

US Blues, Archtop and GerryO like this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I may need to relisten but I remember the studio "Slipknot" and "King Solomon's Marbles" being in the ballpark of the One From The Vault versions.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Nashville for me; great fan base (not that Pittsburgh doesn't) and fresh blood. I rooted for the Pens because I don't like Ottawa's 1-3-1 style and I don't want it to get more traction in the league than it already has. Plus, Canadiens fans will self-destruct if PK Subban wins a cup.

But both of those tracks are more or less composed. They sound heavily improvised but even live, while there's some level of improvisation going on, it's not as much as it may seem like. Much like The Eleven.

ianuaditis, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

For that reason alone, a Nashville victory would be outrageously fun. And hopefully Pens fans won't be as sour as Canuck fans were few years back...

Archtop likes this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Slipknot does have that open A minor section, although it is kept pretty short in the studio version, and the early live versions.

Archtop likes this.
  15. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Listened to the CM version of the 2-14-70 early show. Too bad there's such a big cut in the St. Stephen>Eleven transition, but it was a very satisfying break from all the May 1977 material.

bzfgt and Billy_Sunday like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That stuff is the GREATEST. Awesome release.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. bzfgt

Yeah they left out that refrain on 10/16/89 too, for some reason (Nightfall of Diamonds).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. bzfgt

Is that the one where the guy yells "Something nutty!" before China Cat? I can't remember which one it is, but it's a set losing China>Rider from the 80s...

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  19. bzfgt

Yeah, I saw a lot of shows in 91...9 or 10, at least, anyway, although I'd have to look at a list and count them (EDIT: I'm pretty sure I saw 12 shows that year). Some of them were great, particularly in the summer, RFK and the Giants Stadium shows were really good, and although some of the MSG shows that Fall were a bit lazy compared to the year before, 9/14 was outstanding (I missed Branford but I caught the first one at Nassau and that one is better anyway, at least as far as I recall from the tapes).

But the biggest problem, aside from the aforementioned busy-ness and Jerry getting comparatively lost in the shuffle at times, was Vince's sound, he had some really cheesy patches. He always blamed it on Bob Bralove and said he wanted to play a B3 sound but they wouldn't let him. Who knows, but those keys were kind of lame at times.

Still a decent year, especially if you compare it to what came after rather than what came before. But to my mind, from 1977 through 1990 the band were kicking ass, and after that it was spotty. Really 1972 through 1990, in fact. Before and after things were relatively inconsistent. I like 68-71 fine, and love some of it, but the band really came into its own beginning with Europe 1972 and stayed that way, with some setbacks here and there, until Brent kicked it....

NorCal, John Bonham and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Speaking of "something nutty" and China Cat: I just found the live version of China Cat->Rider by Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks that I caught live in SF last year at Spiral Stairs' 50th b-day show at The Chapel. One of only a couple of times they've played it live that I know of, and Malkmus clearly hadn't rehearsed the lyrics to China Cat so it's mostly gibberish made up on the spot, but pretty funny at the time:

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (live)

Billy_Sunday and bzfgt like this.
  21. bzfgt

Yes, Fall 1989 and Spring 1990.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. bzfgt

No! Yes. Maybe. I'm listening to it right now, it sounds fine but I'm not sure it stands out that much. Some of it is kind of meandery before the lyrics...Some people seem to hate the fast Eyeses, I've found...sounds good to me though.

Edit: sorry for the flood of posts but damn, it's hard to keep up with this thread! It's good to see so much interest in the Dead, though. This thread has got me listening to them again, if it gets any worse I'll be tempted to go back to Born Cross-Eyed, too...but I have no time for that! Anyway, this place is better (I even googled "Steve Hoffman"), it's good to have discerning and critical Heads.

Billy_Sunday, NorCal and US Blues like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

A fast Eyes from '77 and a fast Eyes from, say '83, are different beasts.

24. bzfgt

Cool, I'm not so much for Pavement but they do seem to copy a lot of bands I like (particularly the Fall and Wire).

I'm actually 90% sure that is the "something nutty" China Cat, now that I think of it, although it may just be audible on the audience version, I can't remember.