Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Yeah it was like a beautiful art film. I love that the effects are not slick SFX. There's way too much of it now everywhere

It's almost cut and paste jump cuts. I too am in the journey wherever it may wander.

2. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

In the scene in Episode 2 with Sarah Palmer, there is a man lurking in the window at the back of the room. Once I saw it it absolutely freaked me out. Anybody notice that?

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Darn, now I am going to have to watch this episode for a fourth time.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Didn't catch that. Going back in to see!

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

whoa wait, what? how did i miss that? can someone post a screen grab?!

Wild Frank likes this.
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Got a laugh today as a truck lost a load of lumber on I-90 right near Snoqualmie. One of the suggested detours was to go through Fall City which would take you on the road next to the falls and "The Great Northern Hotel". We just watched the first two episodes last night and this morning she asked me what was going on in the news and I told her a log truck had an accident in Twin Peaks. Semi truck crash spills lumber across eastbound I-90

kevywevy likes this.
  7. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

If you're not into pure Lynchian surrealism—like Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Rabbits, and Inland Empire—then this new Twin Peaks: The Return probably isn't going to be in your wheelhouse. But for those of us who love our Lynch pure (and by that I mean that the original Twin Peaks was not even pure Lynch) this revival is hitting all of the marks and since he hasn't made a movie since 2006 is a welcome comeback from one of America's greatest filmmakers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  8. Daniel Plainview

I watched this 20 times just now and couldn't see it. Maybe I need a bigger TV.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, it's not there. i don't feel like it's lynch's style to make something impossible to see.

10. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Maybe it was a crew member accidentally caught in a reflection. That's kinda how BOB came about!

That said, I can't see anything either.

11. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Richard and Linda......Thompson?

PlushFieldHarpy likes this.
  12. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

I never completed my re-watching of the Blu Ray box before viewing the 4 new episodes, so I continued last night. Several things were pertinent to the new material:

The death of Leland. Coop was real close to Bob as he left his host's body; and Leland was in Coop's arms as he passed. There was also a brief (unexplained) cut to a shot of a car wreck at this point.

Hawk's explanation of the White Lodge and Black Lodge was illuminating. "Heritage?"

Ben Horne watched a black and white home movie reel of the foundation of the Great Northern. What looked very like a gold shovel was used to dig the ground.

13. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

sorry to be pedantic, but how could you tell the shovel was gold in a black and white movie reel?

14. Wounded Land

48:01 in the right window. My wife and I both saw it, but watching it again on my tablet as opposed to my TV and now I'm doubting myself. Maybe I'm the one who needs a new TV...

15. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

Well, it was very shiny, and the exact same size and shape...

16. Daniel Plainview

It does look like the very same type of shovel. But it could just be they happened to used the same props.

Then again, gold shovels are regularly used for ground breaking ceremonies.

So what is Jacoby breaking the ground for?

The last time we saw Jacoby digging around in the woods it was for the necklace James had buried there.

And there are 5 shovels. Who will be the five?

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

anyone else think david lynch is just f**king with everyone on this and has no plan or rhyme or reason as to what is going on himself?

18. Wounded Land

Nope. :)

19. Wounded Land

I agree with you on that. However, the first establishing shot for that scene was very wide, with Sarah all the way on the left of the screen. It was like he was trying to draw our attention to the windows in the center.

With that being said, it now looks to me like a bush and maybe a reflection of something. :)

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I think Lynch is committed to a (wild and unique) sense of narrative logic. That said, it would appear based on interviews that he allows a lot of his ideas to spontaneously generate during meditation sessions and elsewhere. Hence, there is a relative aspect of "randomness" to certain elements of his work, but again I think he takes those aspects and feeds them into a developed (though somewhat still abstract) overarching narrative.

I should also add that a lot of confusion surrounding Lynch's output has as much to do with the audience as it does with the work itself. Because of the completely enigmatic way in which Lynch will often relay a message, any given scene is open to a slew of interpretations. Not helping is the fact that in some regards it would seem that Lynch/Frost do like toying around and implementing words or visuals that are more red herring than plot device. Viewers subsequently take the bait and construe all sorts of theories. Some of the theories pan out while others remain examples of the viewer running wild based on a few scant leads. Some times it's part of the fun, other times it sends too many viewers into the woods (pun intended) and causes them to lose sight of the actual plot. I guess what I'm saying is that there's a definite Rorschach factor at play in much of Lynch's work, but that doesn't mean Lynch/Frost aren't coming to the table with a firm narrative running underneath all the craziness.

21. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Thank you for some lucid commentary. As I warned before the series returned, everyone would come in after it started and blahblah why this blahblah brain on a tree WTF blahblah. At least most have said their piece and moved on. What remains are some hardcore Twin Peak spotters looking for the answers (NON-EXIST-ENT) and that's legit albeit a little foolish but still kinda fun for them I guess. For me, the first two parts made me absolutely giddy. The return of Lynch/Twin Peaks is a possible lifetime highlight. For the entire week I've lived and breathed what I just witnessed and can't stop thinking about it. Forum members might appreciate the comparison of a Beatles reunion 25 years later where the Fab Four band got back together and bashed out some hits but gave you a new experience. Sorry that couldn't happen but us Lynchphiles get this and we should be on our knees and blessing whatever gods who should be thanked.

Hard to avoid spoilers, so maybe parts 3 and 4 slow down and have debatable performances but c'mon this is truly remarkable. Lynch is getting most of the credit but Frost is a crucial part. His book, Secret History sets up the framework of season 3 with the link of Hawk's heritage, to the Free Masons to Project Blue Book, to Richard Nixon and Jackie Gleason (hey just read it!). All this coming from a discovery of a girl wrapped in plastic. Like Kubrick before him. Lynch's cinema is beyond critical thinking. It is a creation of art, of decisions, of details, and of love. Yes, I am putting him on a pedestal which could he could fall off (Roman Polanski anyone?) but in this world of absolute cultural dreck what else do we have?

As for the series, it will be an elliptical puzzle, non-sequential, competing time lines and whatever Lynch and Frost wish to offer us. I only have one prediction or maybe just a hope. I really believe the series will end with Leland, Sarah and Laura reunited, alive and well in Twin Peaks. Lives will have been lost, existences will be revoked, the space time continuum will be corrected. I'd rather go with that instead of figuring out what Jacoby is doing with his shovels. But to each his own. Stay lucid out there, have fun. Can't wait for the next two parts this Sunday (I'm pacing myself, remember good things come to those who wait).

22. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I can't tell if you've already seen episodes 3 and 4 or not, but in my opinion they speed up, not slow down, and in the best way possible.

23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

There are two boxes, each containing five shovels apiece.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

The green coat. Sonny Jim's drinking cup. The apple Janey snatches when she's making breakfast. All the same shade. What is he telling us?

Gordon's atomic bomb wall art.... also seen in the Henry's bedroom in Eraserhead.

25. Daniel Plainview

I went back and checked.
    James' friend has two arms. Though he is wearing a funny green glove on one hand. Theres that green again.