Pioneer A-400 amp. What's with the hype?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Neilson77, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought a Pioneer A-400 as i read it's a great audiophile, giant killer. Was using a Technics SU-A900MK2 with my Wharfedale Xarus 5000 speakers. The A-400 does sound very clean and clear but lacks bass power. The Technics has the detail and also the great bass. Whats the fuss over the A-400? I much prefer my Technics.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It was the first in a new wave of frills free amps that were specially tuned to the 'UK ear'. No tone controls and efficient signal paths. Basically a UK designed Japanese amp.

I had one and got it modded to GTE spec a while later (I was one of the first actually). It was a good amp but tastes change over 25+ years later.

My brother still uses mine. It was bought the week Freddie Mercury died...

Was partnered with a Mk1 Meridian 506 and Monitor Audio 9 speakers for the time I had it. Was eventually replaced with the matching Meridian integrated to go with the 506 (itself later replaced with the 506 MK2).

Some pics of mine from a few years ago when I cleaned it up.

[​IMG]
    All the dust of 20+ years.

[​IMG]
    Cleaned!

[​IMG]
    The GTE mod hidden away.

[​IMG]
    I added the GTE logo myself.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    SandAndGlass, dbsea, noahjld and 4 others like this.
  3. How long have you been using it for. Does it need to "burn in"?

4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

It got great reviews in the UK press, I preferred the Creek, but Creek's advertising budget was smaller. :D Certainly a pretty good amp for the money, but I didn't ever think it was a giant killer.

Blank Frank likes this.
  5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Its a 25+ year old amp....

Whay, pez, Kohl88 and 8 others like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I still have the 400X which I think sounds better (though many disagree). One thing it does have is a wide sound stage but it sounds a bit lose and lacking bass weight (though quite extended). I swapped in a a Rotel 840BX3 and that stayed for quite a while. The 400X will be up for sale in the near future (does have a little rustle on the volume control). The Pioneer was a good match for Mission speakers.

ShallowMemory and Robert C like this.
  7. i realised after i posted what a bloody idiot i was!!! Sorry, must have had a senior moment.

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Well I was waiting for someone to say "Hmm I'd say at least another week!":laugh:

9. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

How much does the GTE mod improve it? How does it change the sound quality? I could do with upgrading my speakers as they do tend to be quite boomy and bass heavy.

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It's a subtle one. I never go into trying to describe sound 'improvements' as I'm one of the few honest ones that, unless its truly terrible, I can't tell. Most folks here can't either if they were truly honest. :hide::biglaugh:I never regretted doing it. I had a feeling that they would do another 'tweaked' version (and they did with the 400X) so I wanted to take mine out of that loop really.

The mod was done by Tom Evans. He's still around doing stuff but probably doesn't mod A400 gear anymore.

Do a Google search for A400 GTE Tom Evans and you'll find some stuff. Including me going on about it.

25 years ago everyone raved over the A400. Now its kind of cool to trash it. But in 25 years it will be cool again...

I have no complaints about mine.

noahjld, royzak2000 and Neilson77 like this.
  11. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Aloha
    Pioneer A-400 ? hype ? what hype :winkgrin::winkgrin:
    try a A-200/90 guess this one plays in another ligue
    cheers:cheers:
    Wally
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

It is in another league all together. I would say the UK designers pointed at that and said "It needs to be all but this!" ;):D

13. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

With the A400 unclothed, I look and say, where's the beef? A200/90, no need to ask, fills the box!

14. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

25 years ago, yes, the mainstream Hi-fi magazines did rave over the Pioneer A400, some people at the time said it was hyped, a large number bought one and loved it.

The shop I managed, sold the Denon PMA 250, Arcam Alpha, and Creek 4040. The Pioneer rep offered us the Pioneer account, and if we had accepted, we would have undoubtedly sold a number of A400s - people came in and simply wanted to buy one - a great review in a Hi-fi magazine can cause that kind of demand.

All the staff had a listen, and although the Pioneer was clearly a very good amp, we all preferred the Creek 4040. This is as far I went to trashing the Pioneer A400, 25 years ago, and as far as I'll go to trashing now. It is / was a good amplifier - but not everyone raved about it 25 years ago. Here I am simply answering @Neilson77 question about the hype, as honestly as I can. I didn't even know it was cool to trash a product 25 years later!

It did follow the Rotel 820 and Denon PMA 250, where manufacturers, tuned their products for the British market, which apparently had different taste to the rest of the world!

I'm really pleased that you have no complaints with yours, because that is the only thing that really counts.

Kohl88, ShallowMemory and Neilson77 like this.
  15. missan

missan Forum Resident

[​IMG] Still have a 400X. Did quite a bit modifications to it back then, still sounds very good to these ears.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I actually still have a promo leaflet from Pioneer that collected several reviews and articles that came about on release.

I'll photo it and stick it up once I've dug it out of my cupboard.

Robert C likes this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing SLAB O BEEF:)

18. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I i
    Believe that it shone with expensive
    Equipment . I bought one , sold it no bass !
    Now the Denon PM 350 MK1
    Was better than the Naim 42/110
    I had used a few years previous.
    I still have it and use it occasionally.
    I really brings Barbara Streisand
    Alive

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Was causes a component to have no bass? Power supply?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I,m not sure. Let,s say it was clean,
    Nice phono stage but for me it lacked body.
    There was obviously bass, but it left me cold.
    I,m told that it excelled in a £3,000
    System. Crazy, its thst old synergy
    Thing. I think it was a case of ok amp
    Made out to be all things to all men,
    The main thing my friend is whether or not it suits your taste. There are few
    Bad amplifiers out there but boy do they sound different.
    Americans apparently like warm
    Smooth sound with a bit of bass lift
    Brits like treble lift and tight bass,
    What i an saying is that it was
    Voiced for UK , as i recall.

Kohl88 and Manimal like this.
  21. triple

triple Senior Member

Perhaps the empty box does (was?).

22. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Some years ago the hype was DAMPING by heavy global negative feedback. Combined with the rather heavy damping of small to medium sized loudspeakers everything was bass shy, bass is there but over damped. Big boxes did better, less damping.
    Imo those amp's with heavy damping/heavy feedback were/are designed to minimise croosover distortion resulting in transient intermodulation distortion. This concept is gone now but solid state still has crossoverdistortion.
    Tone control essential for those amplifiers.
    You are better off with a valve amplifier with modest (10 to 12 dB) or no feedback and rely on the optimum damping of the loudspeaker box. Solid state needs heaver feedback for known reasons, noise, crossover, non linearity's.

guitardiet and Manimal like this.
  23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'd much rather have the Pioneer Elite A91D or A717 Reference series integrateds.

Wait....I do have them.:agree:

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think retail price was £230 (£430 today) back around 1991. I think they seem go for around £100 on Ebay with the odd rare GTE going for around £200.

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think retail price was £230 (£450 today) back around 1991. I think they seem go for around £100 on Ebay with the odd rare GTE going for around £200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.