Olympic Games Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know why no entity ever replays The Olympics? The first U.S. TV coverage started in 1960 with both winter and summer games on CBS. ABC did the 1964 winter and NBC the summer. Why wouldn't some entity want to re-air some of the great moments from past decades of Olympics?

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

My guess would be lack of interest and poor ratings for showing replays of decades-old Olympics.

There have been highlight shows and documentaries done of current Olympics and then shown shortly after that Olympics finished. I can't remember his name, but he's a bald-headed guy who did a handful of highlight shows/documentaries of recent Olympics, which were well done.

3. James Slattery

I know but those really hold no interest for me. I DVR and watch the Olympic events I'm interested in so seeing those same events replayed a few weeks later hold no appeal for me. However, I would love to see replays of Olympics from the 60s and 70s which I haven't seen in decades and which pre-date the home recording era.

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Not to mention what I'm assuming are tight IOC restrictions.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

My mom and I saw a bike race from the Rio games being replayed in December. I know that's not super old, but it is a repeat.

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This doesn't really answer your question satisfactorily, but I would try seeking out any of the Bud Greenspan Olympics films on YouTube. They pop up now and again.

7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It seems that coverage time of current Olympics has dwindled in the last few decades. Given that, I can't imagine there's much incentive to show old games. I agree that it would be fun though. I grew up watching the Olympics with my family. Sports we normally had no interest in became nail,biting edge of our seat ordeals. I look forward to them every two years and have tried to instill the passion in my kids, especially the opening and closing ceremonies. They don't care.

8. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I'm sure a corrupt organization like the IOC holds onto those things tight. Why? Maybe they feel seeing past events would lessen the desire for cities and nations to bankrupt themselves. For years Formula 1 has been mostly the same. Exclusivity

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

NASCAR shows old archival races and the stick and ball sports do too. Isn't there at ESPN Classic channel?

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am kind of surprised there isn't an Olympics channel.

11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

tonyc likes this.
  13. James Slattery

I'm pretty sure all its going to be is sports that are in the Olympics and their non-Olympic competitions. I seriously doubt NBC will be trotting out their 1964 Tokyo kinescopes or their 2-inch tapes from Sapporo.

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

Many highlights are on YouTube of course, like Mark Tewksbury's 1992 backstroke gold:

Tewksbury is also an excellent colour commentator, which he proved in Beijing in 2008.

15. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Bud Greenspan. He made some reverential Olympic documentaries. I think 1984 was the first. They have filmed the games & created documentaries for years. Was Reifenstahl in '36 the first?

16. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

When there were only four channels & one had wall-to-wall Olympics coverage, that'd pull in a greater % of the population. It was a big deal. Plus you had the added element of the free world vs the big bad Soviets. Shudder!

tkl7 likes this.
  17. James Slattery

Highlight films don't really interest me. I like seeing the original TV broadcasts, not just for Olympics but all sports.

18. James Slattery

That was when the Olympics were great. Once the Soviet Union fell apart, the Olympics became boring.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Vancouver 2010 released about 20-25 hours of stuff on 2 blu ray sets. Half of it Canada mens hockey.

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

21. xios

xios Senior Member

Back in the 1980's one network showed extensive newly discovered 35mm film of the 1932 Olympics. It would make a great blu-ray.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive heard of worse ideas

MLutthans likes this.
  23. htom

htom Senior Member

Almost every recent Olympiad had a video set come out from the broadcaster, though I imagine that means playback permissions may need to clear both the broadcaster and the IOC.

24. James Slattery

I didn't know that. I know ABC put out on VHS their highlights of Olympics they televised from 1976 up. I don't think NBC continued that mode for very long.

What announcer calls do the host feed releases have?

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Vancouver 2010 hockey release has the Canadian commentators for the full games, but also has the option to watch the game with only the audio from inside the venue...no talking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.