The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary (Content, Sound Quality & Discussion Thread Only!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Unfortunately I don't have a way to measure DR on these tracks at the moment but from viewing the wave files there isn't a lot of dynamic range. However they aren't clipped which is an improvement over the disc 1 stereo remix.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Thank you all, I'm now heading over to Amazon DE to place my order for the deluxe box. :cheers:

3. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

Hmm, where were these records with the grinding noise cut? All over the place I guess, and not just Abbey Road?

For me, the ripping on this copy is not that bad, it's only marginally more annoying than an occasional click. It's not anything like the very loud ripping noise that I had from a Hendrix LP I bought last year. I might send it back still, I'll have to evaluate it more. I'm not a fan of sending records back unless totally unplayable, chances are (knowing my luck) I'd get a worse copy back.

bibijeebies likes this.
  4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

what defines the right one?

5. Harty_88

Harty_88 Forum Resident

I've just opened mine after collecting it from the shop yesterday having not seen it yet, was just handed to me in a bag. The LP has some minor sleeve damage so I've left that sealed for now, might return tomorrow when I'm free. Opened the huge CD set and the content is just incredible, and i've still not unwrapped the book yet! All four of my CDs look to have some minor surface marks, is something to worry about? (I don't buy CDs, haven't in a long time but couldn't resist this set). I did play the first CD of the outtakes (saving the new mix for vinyl as my setup there is superior) and it played through fine so I guess it's nothing to worry about?

ODIrony likes this.
  6. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

The compression on the remix and mono aren't the same at all. Every individual element in the mix is compressed on the remix. Not every instrument on the mono is at the same volume.

Godbluffer likes this.
  7. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I've also attempted this, sans black border. It's not perfect.

[​IMG]

8. milco

milco Forum Resident

Just had a listen to a few 2017 remix tracks again this morning in a sober condition. The sound is very 'full on'. It pins you to the wall, slaps you round the face and kicks you in the shins. It's a big, argy-bargy, rollocking, thunderous ball of sound that grips you by the vitals and thumps you in the solar plexus. But as I sat there having my senses assaulted, I realised that I had a bloody big grin on my face and my pulse was almost certainly running a little fast.

There are some interesting variations in the mix compared with the original stereo (particularly on 'Good morning, good morning') but overall it's just one enormous blast of psychedelic fun. My instant, non-considered reaction to this cacophonous racket? Absolutely love it!!

9. 68Mustang

68Mustang Forum Resident

I got the vinyl yesterday and just had a second listen through and completely agree. I found myself not enjoying it and actually couldn't wait for it to finish. What's going on with that seemingly sub-bass rumble especially on this track?! My woofers were flapping! Trying to like it but the bass sounds so loose and detached from the rest of the mix to my ears. I have the 2014 mono vinyl and 87 CD for stereo so will probably choose either of them for my Pepper fix in future (not a massive lover of the album anyway tbh Revolver all the way for me ;))

I333I likes this.
  10. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Crikey! Although I liked your post, it was more to acknowledge I feel for you rather than liking what happened. Best laid plans, etc...
    I hope when you finally sit down with it on that sofa of yours, it's all that you hoped for and more!

Mr. Explorer, voles, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
  11. One that more naturally replicates the dynamics that we hear in our every day surroundings. It doesn't matter if what's heared on a daily basis is a natural or artificial sound; the ear/brain construct effortlessly gravitates toward the peaks and vallyes of what the brain can more easily decode. Added dissonance only agitates the brain's decoding ability, thus making prolonged exposure to sameness and/or dissonance an eggressor.

It is the same principle that can aggravate the body during long periods of extreme loundness, just as it does during exposure to prolonged periods of total silence.

See a three-hour rock concert or three-hours spent in a hyperbaric chamber.

12. milco

milco Forum Resident

11 1/4 bottles would be one hell of a night out! Maybe a week's supply? ;)

evilpants likes this.
  13. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the $117 box set, but canceled upon further discernment. In reality, the 2-cd set will serve me just fine, and will be making my way to a local store today for it.

The Stereo version has always been my preference, so I am looking fwd to experiencing such an essential album in my heart anew....

ODIrony likes this.
  14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Finally got around to reading the first 20 or so pages of the hardback book that comes with the SDE whilst taking my son to his skating lesson this morning. Love the insightful essay by Kevin Howlett and the Boyd essay as far as I've read it. No new suprises or revelations for those familiar with the story but it's beautifully written and evocative. The photos and reproductions of the memos and memorabilia are terrific. The volume reminds me of the quality of Taschen books I have on Kubrick etc - something to linger over and luxuriate in, not something to skip through like a magazine. Even things like the weight of the paper used impress.

Hats off to the people who wrote and compiled the book. If there are to be any further SDE reissues of other Beatles albums (and I sincerely hope that sales of Pepper's SDE warrant them!), books of this calibre for the White Album, Abbey Road etc would be most welcome. Truly beautiful.

15. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yeah, me too: I'm so happy with it.

16. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Picked my deluxe copy up today. Spent all afternoon at my mate's record store listening to the four CDs and the vinyl. On his store set up everything sounded pretty good. He loved the new mono version (no surprise there!). We did a quick comparison with the 2009 mono CD and the new sounded a little brighter and clearer.

Most of the album tracks were okay. The title track is a strange listen. Just didn't sound tight or focused. Lucy was great but neither of us liked the "fake" note panning in the intro. Within You Without You was the standout track. Not heard it in such clarity before. A Day In The Life is another strange listen. Both orchestra climbs and the last chord sound way too loud. Not a good listen.

The US promo mix of Penny Lane didn't sound as bad as I thought it would. Worn sounding sure but still listenable. We listened to a 67 Australian pressing of the single and it was less worn sounding, so it still begs the question, where did they source it from?

The outtakes are all great and definitely make the box. They also sounded much better than the remixed album tracks.

I also bought the 2CD version and played the remix disc in the car on the way home. Sounded great. The goosed tom tom fill in Friends didn't sound too loud in the car but I put that down to road noise. As someone has pointed out the 2017 remix certainly seems to cater more for the mobile listener (car, jogging, commuting to work) than the sat down audiophile. One thing that did jump out was the volume level of Mr Kite. Way louder than all the other tracks and coming after the quieter She's Leaving Home it was horribly jarring.

Loved the packaging and goodies. Overall, I'd give it 7/10. Not entirely satisfied with the remix, so it loses a point or two.

P.S. The chicken cluck replicates the stereo version perfectly. 10/10 for Giles on that one!!

Mr. Explorer, dee and Oyster Boy like this.
  17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

4 songs in, and not digging this new mix/mastering at all (referring to the stereo LP tracks on the mega-CD set). :thumbsdow A lily in need of little or no gilding has been over-gilded.

Gramps Tom and hodgo like this.
  18. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

And me. Sgt Pepper has grown a pair! As for the outakes, I didn't think I needed so many takes of SFF, but I did! Its made me think about another break to Liverpool to drink it all in this summer and might even do Paul and John's homes tour again. What a thing of beauty this is, physically and sonically IMHO.

19. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

Yes the left surround speakers are located about three feet in front of my listening position and the rear surrounds (7s) are directly behind me. The quacks are right in my left ear. Sounds cool.

voles and ODIrony like this.
  20. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Same - put it on the car last night and turned it up. Lots of fun, kids singing along, etc.

For home listening, I'll probably stick with the '87, but this'll do fine for everything else.

Also, I visited my mum this morning. She'd bought it, too, and she's 76! She already has the '87, be amazed if she actually notices the difference, but I guess the Apple publicity machine is working.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Mr. Explorer, voles, ODIrony and 7 others like this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Willowman says: Also, I visited my mum this morning. She'd bought it, too, and she's 76!

That's so beautiful! ;)

22. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I feel you. Sgt Pepper is the one Beatles album thats grown on me the most since I first theard the 1987 CD in 1992. I just wish Giles added the PL/SFF single onto disc one. I love the mono mixes for all albums, but this release makes me hope for more stereo remixes in the future! Would buy all of them again.

23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Great minds think alike! My wife and I went up to Liverpool for a Beatles pilgrimage about three years ago, but we're getting very itchy feet to do the whole thing again. Mind you, there's always the annual Bootleg Beatles show to look forward to. Just listening to Mr. Kite on CD 3 as I speak: still pinching myself, really. I'd have been so gutted to spend that kind of money on something I've wished for for so long, and then not like it.

ODIrony, Oyster Boy and andy75 like this.
  24. The LP sounds far better than the cd on the removed album.

25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

We go at least once a year. My wife was entering dates on the Albert Dock Premier Inn after the second version of SFF! Haven't been this happy since the FITD deluxe. What a year to be a Beatles fan.

Mr. Explorer and The Bishop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.