Mary Hopkin Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonnyKidd, May 25, 2017.

1. JonnyKidd

JonnyKidd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I actually had no idea about the existence of this particular single, nor of the "Mary Had a Little Baby" Apple release in the Philippines. You learn something new every day, don't you?

Tell you what, I remember seeing an interview she did with Australian Women's Weekly magazine. I'll see if I can find it somewhere online. It was quite interesting.

2. JonnyKidd

3. JonnyKidd

Having a peek at the Tumblr blog I got the above images from and I saw this:

[​IMG]

I wonder where the studio was located? Apple Studios? Trident?

Boom Operator, bluemooze and andybeau like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Looks like Trident. Way too neat and organized for Apple.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Beatles (Paul and George) at Trident with horn players ("Martha My Dear" session):

[​IMG]

6. JonnyKidd

@Arnold Grove yeah, definitely looks like Trident, thanks for that photo btw. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

This is the German sleeve for 'Those Were the Days'. I haven't actually seen this photo too many times. I have no idea what photo session this was for, but it's cool nonetheless.

bluemooze, Hey Vinyl Man and andybeau like this.
  7. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I've wondered the same thing over the years. I just found this:

Songwriter Liz Thorsen - Alias? Recluse?

8. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Footage of Mary at Trident, Peter Asher in the control booth:

9. Pat Richmond

Pat Richmond Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone has ever heard this, but I love it.... Her voice sounds amazing

10. Ian Stephens

Ian Stephens Well-Known Member

11. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

It would be great to hear those demos that were mentioned. I wonder how many songs she wrote.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Love Mary's Apple material, I'll name Post Card as a favorite along with Goodbye. George Martin penned "The Game" on the Post Card album which is also a great song.

Boom Operator likes this.
  13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Lovely song, lovely recording.

bluemooze, forthlin and JonnyKidd like this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Another vote here for Earth Song/Ocean Song as one of the great albums! I think her earliest recordings were in Welsh, probably pre-Apple. Some of the ones I heard are very nice even though I have no idea what the words mean, but I like Meic Stevens and Clannad as much while likewise being none the wiser.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  15. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Written by George Martin.
    Produced by Paul McCartney.
    Reversed roles...

Fantastic album, that Apple had once again no idea as to how it should have been promoted.
    The b-side "Jefferson" should really have been on it, though. Mary sang that lovely song on radio and TV at the time.
    Mary Hopkin - "Jefferson" (1971)

16. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

French, actually.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  17. JonnyKidd

Sorry, I saw the Odeon label and thought it was German.

18. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

Can't find the picture right now, but the complete text on the blackboard reads "My name is Mary Hopkin, not Hopkins"......

NumberEight likes this.
  19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Mini skirts were all the rage back then and Mary wore them loads. I don't recall that she ever wore hot pants though, maybe they came in fashion a little later?

JonnyKidd likes this.
  20. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Interestingly, during a fall 1971 BBC radio show (Top Of The Pops) promoting the album in which Mary performs a few songs live, the announncer (Brian Matthews I think) announces "Earth Song" has being written by Carole King!

Mary Hopkin Music and bluemooze like this.
  21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

They may have been on to something with Mary & James Taylor as the soft rock boon of the early 70s was right around the corner. Think of Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, Carole King, early Elton. Of course James did succeed in a big way, but Mary could've fit right in. A missed opportunity, but you gotta give them credit for identifying some big talent.

22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I absolutely adore her cover of Ralph McTell's classic Streets Of London.

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I like this one as well.
    What a palaver trying to find a non Sgt Pepper thread these days, the first two pages of the forum are clogged up with them. There is even a dedicated thread to discuss the cardboard box that the box set is housed in....

andybeau and Calico like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I was hoping that cardboard box thread was a joke, but it's hard to tell on here.

I meant to say that for some reason I remember Mary singing If You Love Me on TOTP in 1976. That song stayed with me, even though it wasn't a big hit.

I gave Post Card a spin on Spotify and thought it was a bit twee. It made Olivia sound like Patti Smith. It wasn't unpleasant, but I don't think I'd want a full album of that kind of stuff. Mary's voice is unique, but it's not one that really adapted itself well to 'pop' music. You couldn't imagine her going disco for example. Not that she'd want to, I'm sure.:)

JDeanB, Calico and bob60 like this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I agree, I do love some of Mary's songs and like her voice, but only in small doses. I find her voice just a little shrill, not sure if that's the best description..
    Actually the Beatles cardboard box might have been a joke thread, like Paul's innovative handclaps and the Ringo is comforting threads.
    Whatever, even a discussion about a cardboard box can easily stretch to 100 pages if it is a Beatles cardboard box :D

andybeau and Bobby Morrow like this.