When was the last time you listened to an album from start to finish, doing nothing else?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by formbypc, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

Today.
    Jeff Beck: Loud Hailer :)

tman53 likes this.
  2. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Today.

Sgt. Pepper 1981 UK stereo vinyl.
    2014 mono vinyl.
    2017 stereo remix.

Twice each.

richierichie likes this.
  3. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Last night - pure self indulgence, Love Forever Changes, followed by Moby Grape, and finished off with 13th Floor Elevators Easter Everywhere; washed down with a few Jim Beans over ice. Lovely!

richierichie likes this.
  4. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

This morning and now (but that disqualifies this playback `cuase I`m doing this), yesterday also. The album, for it has been just one, `Sgt. Pepper`, Giles Martin`s remix which IMHO is amazing. I only have the 2CD at present, Amazon Italia have shipped the S.E. Box & 2LP (good prices) and I`m waiting patiently.
    It`s not (IMHO) The Beatles best album but bloody hell if Giles Martin does this with the rest of their albums it`ll, err, be bloody amazing (used that word twice now).

5. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Hey @gedsmit if I wasn`t listening to The Beatles 8th I`d be playing something similar, respect, hmm, `Forever Changes`, no matter how much I love (geddit!:cool:) The Beatles `Forever Changes` is the GREATEST album EVER! (I think I`ve said this before on here).

gedsmit likes this.
  6. I do this every day. Usually multiple times. Today was Allman Brothers @ Fillmore East (RIP Gregg), Deadsy - Phantasmagore, Blondie - Pollinator, and Blondie - Platinum Collection. I pretty much ONLY listen to complete albums. At least one a day but usually more.

7. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

I'm a keen fell walker. I was climbing Grasmoor in the English Lake District (close to where I live) recently, equipped with my normal portable audio kit of Fiio x5, Chord Mojo and Sennheiser IE80 in-ears, when I saw a comfortable-looking rock. A short rest was called for and 'Blood on the Tracks' was chosen. It was warm, wind-free day and I was so captivated by the music that I listened to the whole album without distraction or interruption while stretched out on the rock. Sheer bliss.

kagan and richierichie like this.
  8. From start to finish: Anything except sometimes double albums or boxed sets or operas.
    Doing nothing else: I'm bad at doing absolutely nothing, so I always end up doing at least something else. Sometimes it's studying the credits or reading the liner notes. It can also be solving the rubik's cube, browsing this forum on the tablet, reading a music magazine, playing a move in an online chess game. As long as I can keep most of my attention on the music it's fine.

9. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

TOTO DEBUT

Cant set the stage better than starting with CHILDS ANTHEM - ILL SUPPLY THE LOVE and THE AWESOME GEORGY PORGY. The real gems of side 1 are MANUELA RUN right into YOU ARE THE FLOWER. Man the singing on YOU ARE THE FLOWER when he goes BLIND FAITH BLIND LOVE is bad ass.

FLIP THIS BABY OVER TO SIDE 2

Side 2 opens with a education in rock and roll, GIRL GOODBYE. Lukather tearing it up (esp in the middle) and the ending with the drum accents and all, just AHHHH and I love the album flow of the ending bombastic to the mellowness of TAKIN IT BACK. TAKIN IN BACK is my top 10 of fav TOTO SONGS (love singing with the verse GIRL HOW I TRIED TO FORGET YOU BUT THAT WOULD TAKE MORE ... STOP THINK ABOUT EVERY WORD). This starts rocking out on the fade out

hard to match the first 2 songs but ROCKMAKER AND TOW THE LINE fit nicely.

I love the closer ANGELA. Wont lie the rock parts really help build up the mellow verses. Plus the second chorus (where they start rocking) I love the extra measure for the drummer to hit some great accents. Another song that starts killing it on the fade out

TOTOs DEBUT IS STUNNING

DONT NEGLECT TOTO

10. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Doing Nothing Else is a bit hard, I have to take up space at least ;)

I do this quite often, I'll sit in my garden listening to an album, if you don't count "sunbathing" as an activity.

11. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

last night

12. Joeinator97

Joeinator97 Forum Resident

Last night, Revolver LP

13. Today.
    A Bent Knee album followed by a Free album followed by a Joe Walsh album. Nice mix, yeah?

14. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Today: The Wedding Present's Seamonsters

15. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Which Bent Knee? Just got into these guys when they played a venue very close to me, not knowing much about them except they were supposed to be good. Excellent young band.

16. yesterday, Penguin Cafe Orchestra

conjotter likes this.
  17. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

last night

[​IMG]

18. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Last night, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis

SirMarc likes this.
  19. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Just done that today. Picked up the Steven Wilson Remix. Clear sounding if a little loudly mastered by Peter Mew.

20. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Every day.

Either before I go to work in the morning or after I get home.

21. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Last night.

[​IMG]

22. Steelymark

Steelymark Forum Resident

Donald Fagan Nightfly last night

23. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Blue & Lonesome: The Rolling Stones.

It's still an album that I go back to, and listen to all the way through. Quite frankly, it's just that good.

I also have listened to Beyonce's Lemonade album, and found that a good album.

So, 2016 was, thus, a good year for albums.

24. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Wow. Tough question. If "driving" counts as something else.....man it could be well over a year, maybe over 2. Does "taking a walk" (through iPod phones) count as "doing something else"? Sitting at home, stereo on, no book, no tv or conversation---years, man, years.

25. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I try and listen to 1 complete every evening. Last two nights were Jackson Browne's Late for the Sky (original cd release) and followed by the 2014 remaster. I prefer the original cd. The remaster "honks up" (my technical qualities coming out) his vocal and I can't quite get over it. I've never heard Steve Hoffman's remaster....will keep an eye out for it.

Bern

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.