"Blue Peter" presenter John Noakes has died aged 83....R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotsman, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Blue Peter presenter John Noakes dies - BBC News

BBC are reporting that John Noakes, who presented children's show "Blue Peter" has died. Those of us who grew up in the UK in the 60s and 70s will have fond memories of the show....including his ascent of Nelson's Column...

2. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident Thread Starter

And there's the famous elephant incident....

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Very sad, another icon from my childhood dies! Rip John and take Shep for a good long walk.

4. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

No!!!

R.I.P.

Randoms and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. Jimijames

Jimijames Forum Resident

R .I.P.

Randoms and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Just heard this, and as a child who grew up watching Blue Peter, John was a hero and the best value for money on the BBC. I wonder how many children grew up wanting to be a daredevil because of John?

Strangely enough, Valerie Singleton was on a very early episode of Blue Peter a couple of nights ago, with dave dee, dozy, beaky, mick and tich. It was a 60s music programme.

Rest in peace, John, you entertained millions.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I've heard of the show before, but don't live in England where the show came from because I live in America.

Still very sad though.

Randoms and JonnyKidd like this.
  8. Randoms

If you haven't looked at the elephant incident, kindly posted above, please do. This was live television, from the still posh BBC, and one of the reasons John Noakes was a legend to many. Old cereal boxes, with branding covered up and sticky back plastic ruled!

Monty Python did a suitably distasteful and funny spoof.

9. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

So sad. Still think one of the saddest things I've ever seen on tv was when he was interviewed and told us that shep had passed away. You could see he was crushed and so was I. So at least he'll be with shep now (actually welling up a bit typing this!).

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Sad news, RIP John and brilliant host!

I heard and saw more of John via clips included on some BBC DVD's (Dr. Who "Bonus features"), and from early 80's a teacher of Art studies program who would pen-pal with fellow Who fans for PAL videos to watch here, after class watch some of them w/ coffee, English tea, and snacks.

MikaelaArsenault and Randoms like this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Great shame. I believe he'd had dementia for some time. I think I'd take the patronising tone of Noakes and Co over the shoutiness and constant music promotion of the current version of the show (and much of kids' TV in the UK).

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Took up sailing at 40.
    RIP

Must admit i preferred Magpie.

MikaelaArsenault and Randoms like this.
  13. Randoms

Didn't John do a Blue Peter sketch, with Valerie Singleton and Peter Purves for Comic Relief, a few years ago? They certainly got back together, still had great chemistry and joked about accidentally digging up animals in the Blue Peter garden!

A typical John story:

A 10 year-old told presenter John Noakes: 'Dear John, you are good at climbing and kind to dogs and you help old ladies across the road, but please would you comb your hair?

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

RIP.

Randoms likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

Why that's cool!

Randoms likes this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

I will make sure and do that sometime soon.

Randoms likes this.
  17. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

A genuine TV legend........I was delighted to see him on the TV quiz `Pointless`, I think it was last year, with Peter Purves his fellow `Blue Peter` presenter, But I was shocked at his obvious confusion on the show, he kept looking up at the studio lights as if trying to work out where he was, and Peter Purves had to keep telling him what was going on.......I did not know about his dementia at the time, but remember saying to my wife that he looked disorientated, although physically he looked like a man 20 years younger than he actually was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.