KLH Lost High End

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pete74, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete74

Pete74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi.. the other day one of my KLH 6's lost all high end. (During a much too loud listening session - pretty sure there was a 'pop' when it happened)

I've opened up the speaker (it's the more easily opened screw in speaker type).
    Now, I can solder, and have a multi-meter. But really don't know how to diagnose if the tweeter is blown or if it's a cap issue somewhere.

Can someone shed a little light on what/how to check here?
    Thanks in advance

***Edit*** Disconnected tweeter and checked with meter, no continuity at all. So I guess it's toast for sure. Is there an aftermarket replacement, or should I pay $70 (Canadian) for an original?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Get an original! Anything else is not going to sound right. Also, make sure the Crossover components are good, replace those tired capacitors. And please, be careful with these classics. If you want loud for parties, get speakers built to withstand such abuse.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. Pete74

Why do I feel like I just dented Dad's car??? :p Thanks for the reply.

33na3rd and showtaper like this.
  4. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Un-solder the tweeter(s) and use your multi-meter to measure the tweeter across its terminals to see if it reads 4 or 8 ohms. It should state on the tweeter whether it is a 4 or 8 ohm unit, if not, then measure the other good tweeter to see what value it shows. If your tweeter is blown then you'll have to replace it.

Scott

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Mistakes happen. I am letting you know to just be careful as spare drivers are getting hard to find since the real KLH has been defunct for years. The Six is a very awesome loudspeaker, a classic Henry Kloss design. Didn't mean to make you feel like that. Mostly saying these speakers need to be respected and cared for. I loved them when new. And still do. And they're beloved and valued by many audio enthusiasts and music lovers.

6. Pete74

Oh, no worries, I was really only kidding when I replied.
    They really are nice speakers... missing them bigtime today. Had to switch to an old set of Mirage 190i's until the other ones are repaired.

McLover likes this.
  7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

8. Pete74

9. Pete74

There... orig replacement tweeter ordered, as well as new caps for each from parts express. Cost more than I paid for the speakers?! :p

Oh well.... the waiting will be painful though.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Metal ?:)

11. Pete74

Not even close..... original pressing of REM's Document. So, it was loud pop that caused the loud POP

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Love the older KLH speakers. I have the 6's, the 17's and some smaller bookshelves...24's maybe?? They sound great still and all have the cloth surrounds.

I just noticed the tweeter is not working on one of the 17's...ugh. Hoping the contacts just need to be cleaned on the contour toggle.

13. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Hey guys, I have another tweeter issue. In this case on a pair of AT 4X's. Tweeter not working on one speaker. The weird thing is that it works if I apply light fingertip pressure on it. What does that indicate?

I pulled the tweeter out and checked what I could. I didn't see anything outwardly wrong. Even with the tweeter out of the box it still worked but only when I apply gentle pressure. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.