The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Sometimes realism can come across as being bitter.

Myself I sound old...I have almost no patience or desire to seek out new forms of music. Probably to my detriment, but getting stubborn that way.

GodShifter and Dreadnought like this.
  2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Our stubbornness might be opposites on the new and the old, but I understand your position completely. "Whatever gets you through the night" as it was said.
    :tiphat:

3. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I've always struggled to enjoy musical tutelage when dished out by juniors which is a bias firmly shared by the disdain I reserve for 'leaders' (political, commercial; whatever) whose 'messages' are conveyed by tw@tter or fecesbook.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Are there any new forms of music? Have we had any new sub-genres emerge since the 90s? I'll settle for a new band.

A sense of danger? There's no vibe in the air. Or if there is, I don't know about it.

I'm a rock fan first, a metal-head second. If I wanted to listen to free jazz and avant-garde; I'd listen to free jazz and avant-garde. Most extreme bands are just as constrained by the black, death, and doom standards as any thrash or power metal band. As I've said before, they're just as hung up on image as any hair band ever was. And as the shriek, the growl and the roar have become standardized vocal style, they've gotten stale. But I was raised on over-the-top Ronnie James Halford histrionics.

5. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Been listen to Biohazards Urban Discipline this morning. Above is one of my favourite songs from the album. I know Biohazard are a kind of love em or hate em band. A lot of people see them as the start of what become known as nu metal. Personally I love them. I am just starting to rediscover them after many years. Urban Discipline is my favourite album of theirs and was released in 1992 the same year as Panteras Vulgar Display Of Power. I find many similarities between the 2.

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. Trillmeister

:thumbsup:

warewolf95 and Northwind like this.
  7. dmiller458

Metal needs to come full circle. The next three major sub genres: Blues metal, Country metal, Psychedelic metal

GodShifter likes this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So I'm ashamed to admit it, but after being a metalhead for years, I'm finally getting into Motorhead.

I'm actually listening to Stone Dead Forever for the very first time right now. Holy hell why did I not listen to the guys years ago?!?!?!?

9. zen

zen Senior Member

From off the coast of Newfoundland last week, I saw this eye-catching photo and thought the massive iceberg was a "cool" promo stunt by Deep Purple. :winkgrin:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dmiller458

11. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Psychedelic metal? If you haven't heard Nachtmystium, then give them a spin. Instinct:Decay, and Assassins: Black Meddle One might be up your alley.
    Some of their material does have keys.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Been listening to DragonForce's new album, Reaching Into Infinity, non-stop since it came out last Friday. If you are a fan of DragonForce, this one will not disappoint. They even do some experimentation on this album. Besides their Extreme Power Metal, which they are known for, they even dabble a little with some Thrash and Death Metal by incorporating them into their Power Metal.

[​IMG]

Soundslave likes this.
  13. Trillmeister

Oof! That's ace, that is; really good stuff. The pandemonium at the vid's end is sort of how I feel when I encounter grown men listening to music that hasn't trickled down the tributaries from Lake Asgard.

Dreadnought and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

[​IMG]

Fates Warning - Darkness In A Different Light (2013)

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Hear hear with the Nachtmystium recommendation. Great stuff.

16. four sticks

The most recent Fates Warnings discs are really good. They remind me of the last ten Dream Theater discs but with a good vocalist and good tunes. :hide:

17. four sticks

18. Dreadnought

This is something you may not know that is a bit hit and miss but on the whole could appeal.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    dmiller458 and Trillmeister like this.
  19. Trillmeister

Gimme a few mins, Mikey; just at one with the last few mins of Manowar's debut.

Yam Graham likes this.
  20. Trillmeister

Not bad and perty dang super obscure; the first chords reminded me of some distant cousin sharing DNA with antipodean rollers, Rose Tattoo.

Certainly, if I were Vernon Wells in some reprised, post-Armegeddon wasteland in which the law of V8 melded with Metal, demanding the permanent strappage of Sheeranesque sacrifice to one's motoring radiator, this could be some kind of mood music to the procedings.

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just don't order from him!

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Dreadnought

You really have it in for Ed. :laugh:
    Well, be still my dog of war. I understand your pain. We've all lost someone we love.

The Lord Trillmungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

[​IMG]

Here have a tune by some fellows from Manchester who I presume have not yet begun plucking hair from the ear. It's a single, as in two songs only, out April 6, 2017. Protector / Darkest Hour, by Heavy Sentence

SRK and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  23. Dreadnought

24. Dreadnought

More Black Magic.

25. Trillmeister