The first several Sheryl Crow albums appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, May 28, 2017.

1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

I had no idea that I'd like them so much. To be honest, I just listened to a comp because I find her beautiful and I love her voice.
    But then I had to get the first several albums after liking the comp so much. The second (self titled) album is knocking me out, and I read that many consider the next one (Globe Sessions) is even better. Sheryl's music is like a good, good friend already to me.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

She appeals far more to my eyes than my ears

MothMonsterMan likes this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

The 2nd album is great. Would love to see this released on double vinyl.

bataclan2002, Sean, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  4. jc1303

jc1303 Forum Resident

I really like the first four (up to Cmon Cmon)
    The next 3 are ok. Feels like Home surprised me how good it was, some really nice songs on there
    Only listened to the new one a couple of times but its a return to the form of the first couple of albums
    And, while we're at it. Yeah I think she's lovely :love:

905 and Pete74 like this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Love the first 3.
    The self titled one is my favourite.
    None of her subsequent releases have been my cup of tea, including the new one.

Sean, Fender Relic and 905 like this.
  6. Pete74

Pete74 Forum Resident

Not a huge fan of the first album...although 'strong enough' is a great tune. But I do love her self titled, globe sessions & c'mon c'mon albums. The fairly recent country one is really good as well. Shame they've never been done on vinyl though.

I've got her latest one coming from amazon next week. If I'm not mistaken, it'll be her first to be issued on vinyl.

seed_drill and 905 like this.
  7. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

The self-titled one is a stone cold classic. The others fail to live up to that standard.

AaronW and drasil like this.
  8. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

Great teeth

Fender Relic likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The second one is my favorite.

DTK, maui jim and 905 like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wonderful in small doses, too much can be overwhelming.

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Definitely one of the most prominent artists with no vinyl. :(

DavidD, wwright and 905 like this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Anyone else have the DVDA for The Globe Sessions? That one's a keeper.

Mesozoic Mike and simon1966 like this.
  13. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I always enjoyed hearing her stuff on the first two albums on the radio when it came on. I always thought "If It Makes You Happy" sounded like a Big Star song in drag.

DTK and 905 like this.
  14. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

She has a knack for simple lyrics that hit home, clever at times. Good basic America pop rock that is easy to listen to yet fun. I've always likened her to a female version of Tom Petty (especially the earlier albums).

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I really like her. So many great hits. I bought Tuesday Night Music Club on cassette when it came out.

Tokyo Ghost and 905 like this.
  16. 12Toes

12Toes Forum Resident

I've got Globe on DVD-A. One of my favs. "If it Make You Happy" seems like she was trying too hard to have a radio friendly track, the rest of it strikes me as honest and extremely strong. The musicianship is simply stunning to my ears. It was mastered too loud on cd. The DVD-A has much more breathing room. Very well recorded.

Her looks seem to throw some people off. Spoke with people who've toured with her. Not a bad thing said about her. Pleasure to work with according to them.

She's a word class musician. Don't have to be ugly to be gifted. Google Tal Wilkenfeild for more proof. Jeff Beck seems to think she's just fine to play in his band.

17. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Love her early stuff, haven't kept up with her newer releases.
    P.S. Best thread title EVER!

bataclan2002, DmitriKaramazov and 905 like this.
  18. Crow has been accused of being heavily influenced or even copying other artists.
    Not many haven't! :p
    However, found her to be original enough.

My brother-in-law loved her from the start ['93]; i thought she was OK. '94 release of "All I Want To Do" single; made me more appreciative of her talent.

The S/T really won me over tho ['96].
    Much more 'moody', IMO.
    Was in a 3 disc CD changer at work. Thought it was customer friendly appropriate background music for a wine shop. Would hear the album like 3 to 5 times a day like 5 or 6 days a week for like over a year!!!
    Never tried of it; never failed to put me in a 'dreamy' state.
    Still can get into it.

1st track off 'Globe' ['98], was one of the best singles of the year, IMO.
    Pretty much stopped, w/'02 "C'mon, C'mon".
    Yet, thought "Soak Up the Sun" was "Single of the Year"; IMO.

Enjoy her concert performances too; which is rare for me.

bataclan2002, Zeki and 905 like this.
  19. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

So does anyone appreciate her last several albums?

snowman872 and 905 like this.
  20. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Her voice is much like her body, thin.

21. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I like her first and third album. Somehow I've never heard her second album and I've lost sight of her after The Globe Sessions.

Personally I don't like "pure" rock music, but these albums are something special. I actually have trouble categorising the first one. It's not rock, it's not country, it's not Americana and it's not jazz. It's somehow a mix of it all, and it never feels weird to me. I love the melancholy in tracks like Run Baby Run, No One Said It Would Be Easy or We Do What We Can. And the flow of All I Wanna Do is awesome.

The Globe Sessions sound more straight forward, but somehow has a kind of soul-ly feel that keeps it away from plain rock/Americana/singer-songwriter territory. Basically The Globe Sessions is an album that I shouldn't like, but I do anyway. I love every track on this album, from the poppy openers My Favourite Mistake and There Goes The Neighbourhood to the devastation of Crash And Burn and the attitude of Resuscitation.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Globe Sessions is a fantastic record, definitely her high-water mark for me, by a mile.

23. jc1303

jc1303 Forum Resident

I do! I think the last 2 are a real return to form after a couple of so so albums in the middle of her career

905 likes this.
  24. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I was 12 when All I Wanna Do was released as a single, which made me buy the first album and then got the second album on day of release - these two albums so remind me of my discovery of girls and the relationships I had back then, so it's great memory music for me! Musically the third may be the best, but it just doesn't have the feel of the second, which is by far her best for me. Great time for music, for me, along with the Wallflowers, Jewel and a few others back then.

905 likes this.
  25. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Her several middle period albums aren't bad. :)

905 likes this.