Mobile Fidelity enters the turntable market (UPDATE: phono stages and cartridges, also)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Hmmm. So being a re-branded VPI Classic puts the Shinola in the same category as a Bose wave radio, where as putting the word MoFi on something gives it "audiophile value"?

Not seeing it myself, but sure.

dchang81 and recstar24 like this.
  2. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

The Sony looks nice, but it is much less expensive. There is a lot of rebranding going on. Remember the modified Phillips CD players?

3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Shinola is not a Classic, but a mixed salad of parts used in various VPI tables. The MoFi is a new design, and appears to be well though-out. Let's wait and see the reviews. One thing is for sure - I'm not paying $2500 for a "lifestyle" turntable. When MusicDirect has a 50% sale on them - I might consider one. However, as I have 3 turntables in a one-bedroom apt now, I am not in a big hurry...

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's a Classic enough for me, but that's beside the point. You still haven't revealed why you've branded the Shinola to be a "lifestyle" turntable while the MoFi isn't. What in particular makes the MoFi "well thought out"? I'm worried there is no objective criteria for your statements and you're going to invoke the H word.

dchang81 likes this.
  5. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I'm'a go make some popcorn... anyone else want some?

rtrt likes this.
  6. Benzion

It's not me, the Shinola is positioned as "lifestyle" brand by... Shinola. As far as Mofi - I saw a video describing the table in detail, and read the specs. The effect on yours truly was positive. As far as Shinola being an "almost Classic", in that case, for only a few hundred more, I'd rather get the real Classic, which will always have more appeal and hold resale value better.

Please understand - I'm not trying to discredit the Shinola as a turntable, it may be a fine one. I just don't see enough value in the brand to justify the $2500 price. I've passed up on good deals (as low as $2600) for a real Classic-1, I'm sure not paying $2500 for a simplified hipster-branded clone thereof. It's all subjective, of course.

Not sure which "H" word you were expecting. I know a few, but none came to mind in the context of this conversation.

7. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Hanpin?

8. Benzion

Nope, both Shinola and MoFi are made in the US.

9. Benzion

Another thing that makes me skeptical of the Shinola is the built-in phono. There's another thread here about VPI's integrated tube amp, a $4000 piece. Someone who was considering it found out that the built-in phono in it, spec-wise, was equivalent to a $80 outboard unit. I have doubts whether they included a better one than that in that $2500 turntable positioned as a "lifestyle" plug-n-play product.

That, to me (again, it's admittedly subjective) is detrimental to audiophile appeal of the table. YMMV.

FashionBoy likes this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The built-in phono on the Shinola is a modular box that can be removed and then replaced with a different modular box that is a straight through connection so you can use your choice of external phono-preamp if that's what you want. Shinola mentioned that they plan on offering a couple different modules for the turntable. A straight through module for use with an external phono preamp, a MM phono preamp, and an MC phono preamp.

Chester0711 likes this.
  11. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

12. Benzion

All that is in the future. At present, there's a cheap phono box built in that I "can remove if I so chose". Do I want to be bothered with that on a $2500 table? Is that an "audiophile"-worthy feature?

showtaper likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Benzion likes this.
  14. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The arm is a good concept, reminiscent of classic Japanese Grace or Infinity tonearm. Thbbat super think Delrin platter turns me on. The motor is pretty (specs?) My only worry is isolation from rumble from inverted bearing. Did I see platter wobble? Why can't these demo guys find a FLAT piece of vinyl. Sheesh.

16. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

Very nice how much? -in Borat's voice.
    That is a nice table. I was looking into upgrading my table i think i found the one. Looking foward to the reviews.
    Has anyone purchased one yet?

17. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

After re-watching the video, the UltraDeck looks pretty decent.

18. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I'm guessing the H Word is hipster? In any case I think the Shinola looks nice but there has to be some slightly lower value to it at the price point. Those big trendy stores aren't free. Similarly the new $2500 McIntosh is most likely a Clearaudio concept based design but at $2500 the McIntosh tax means you are spending at least $500 for all that cool glass and lights which puts the simplicity of these MOFI decks at a higher value right? I can't help think the MOFI decks will perform better than Shinola the new McIntosh deck and the Clearaudio concept....or am I way off base? I'm definitely going to get one of these turntables, just can't decide which is combined the best looks and highest sound quality for the price point.

VPI, Project and Rega have trusted tables in this segment but I don't really want those.

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

If I were in the market for a new TT and had the cash to throw at it, I could easily see doing the higher-tier mofi with their microline cart, just because I'm curious if nothing else.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

These MoFi decks are exactly what I wish U-Turn would have been working toward since they started. We'll see how well they're manufactured and how they sound, but based on the photos on their website they look really nice for the money.

displayname and PhilBiker like this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Will be interested to see the reviews, but not really the type of thing I'm looking for w/r/t my needs.

I'd be curious who in Japan makes their cartridges. $500 for a nude elliptical MM cart? Doesn't look like styli are replaceable either from the photos.

wgb113 and PhilBiker like this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

I agree, there is a price premium factored into the Mac and Shinola, storefronts for the Shinola, and legendary brand status for the Mac.

I have no doubt that the MoFi tables will compete well at their price point. However, most shopping in this price range are searching for the giant slayer, the table that performs as well as those costing twice the price. On paper these tables look like a great value, but only time will tell.

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

You do realize you are comparing a $179 TT to a $1000-$2000 one, yes?

24. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I do indeed Recstar. I believe that U-Turn got off to a great start with the Orbit and have been happy with mine. My thought is that they started at the extremes of affordability and function, but that from there they could engineer and build more precise and sophisticated machines. In other words, a line of turntables building upon the success of the Orbit; better motor isolation, thicker, heavier platters, more robust tonearms, better overall performance, all should be easily within the realm of potential for them to build. I was recently disappointed when I answered a survey from U-Turn that asked a lot of questions about receivers and amplifiers. It made me think that U-Turn was thinking about expanding their business into things other than turntables, when I had hoped to see better higher-spec turntables from them as they grow. So, back to your original question, yes I had hoped that U-Turn would by now be building additional turntable models at the $1,000 price point, or thereabouts.

displayname, Benzion and rischa like this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That I can understand for sure. I bet if they chose to go that path, I am sure with their engineering chops they could produce a quality deck!

However, from my conversations with them and from some friends who live out there and have talked with them, that does not appear to be their philosophy and are happy with the market they are currently in.

ThorensSme and PhilBiker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.