Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

I didn't know this. What a relief!

In related news: in a rare instance of solidarity, Asparagus and Broccoli today spoke at the UN, urging the world to give peas a chance.

theMess, Jim B. and thrivingonariff like this.
  2. I dunno, what do you think I mean? Isn't that how these threads work?

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Though apparently their Ruhr accents provoked chuckles in other parts of Germany. A bit loik sing-ging in a Boooorming'am accent, apparently (residents of the UK will know what I'm talking about).

Ninja Bomber likes this.
  4. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

You mean these threads are working? Jeez, I need to go back to the beginning and read them more closely . . .

5. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

If you tell a random person that since Rap is more popular than Rock today, to come up with an early Rap influence that they might have in mind so it can be proven that that Rap artist is more influential than The Beatles, you get many people saying MC Hammer. That's how I see many on here going along with Kraftwerk being that influential. There are other well known early rappers, but not well known early electronic artists. Kraftwerk happened to be popular enough to keep getting all the credit.

6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

So you have be popular among random people in order to actually be influential. Ok.

The Bishop and johnnyyen like this.
  7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

These random people are everywhere, and I'm sure they exist just to knock unpopular theories on their heads.

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

This thread has made me wish for another thread to be started on the subject of the introduction of synths into pop music, from their first appearances through to their current widespread usage, and how it all came about, tracing the history from the first chart song to use them, through to the most famous and influential early examples, ending up in the current day.

Would anyone here with a good knowledge of this subject want to start a thread like that?

It could go from Erik Satie, Luciano Berio, John Cage, La Monte Young and Stockhausen, through to the likes of Joe Meek and 'Telstar', Delia Derbyshire and on to the introduction of feedback, the theremin, the mellotron, the moog, Tony Scott, 'Tomorrow Never Knows', the Beach Boys, the Incredible String Band, Graham Bond, the Moody Blues, the Monkees (Pisces, etc), The Doors, Hendrix, the early Dub scene (King Tubby, Perry, Thompson, etc), Simon and Garfunkels 'Bookends', Wendy Carlos, Terry Riley, Reich, Glass, Paul Beaver & Bernie Krause, 'Electronic Sound' and Zapple, Paul Horn, Gershon Kingsley and Popcorn, Pete Townsend, Stevie Wonder, Sly And The Family Stone, Sun Ra, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson/Robert Fripp, ELP, Genesis, 10cc, ELO, 'Rock Your Baby', Todd Rundgren, Can, Fasut, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita, Mike Oldfield, Mikhail Chekalin, Rick Wakeman, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Vangelis, Jarre, Brian Eno, Roxy Music, Bowie, Visconti, Moroder, Pete Bellotte, Suicide, 'The Beach Boys Love You', Soft Machine, Cat Stevens 'Izitso', Sparks, Parliament, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Trevor Horn, the MIDI revolution, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Devo, Tom Moulton, Bernie Worrell, Talking Heads, 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts', Africa Bambaataa, Ultravox, Numan, Japan, Ryuichi Sakamoto, OMD, ABBA, Yoko Ono, 'McCartney 2', 'Trans', XTC, Thomas Dolby, Paul Oakenfold, Human League, New Order, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Hugh Padgham, Steve Lilywhite, Kate Bush, Hall and Oates, Jellybean Benitez, Prince, Greg Phillinganes, PiL, Pat Metheny, Jan Hammer, Harold Faltermeyer, Don Henley, Enya, Killing Joke/Youth, Talk Talk, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, The Cure, Miles Davis, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, The KLF, Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Roxette, Ace of Base, The Orb, Electronic, Boards Of Canada, David Sylvian, The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, Nine Inch Nails, Bjork, Moby, the entire K-Pop and J-Pop genres, Blur (13), of Montreal, The Apples In Stereo, Radiohead, Beck, Nigel Godrich, Flaming Lips, Bloc Party, TV On The Radio, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Super Furry Animals, William Orbit, Mirwais Ahmadzaï, Tiesto, Daft Punk, LCD Soundsystem, Ladytron, Fiona Apple/Jon Brion, Vaporwave in general (Washed Out, etc), Neon Indian, Toro y Moi, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Wilco, Goldfrapp, Phoenix, Nitin Sawhney, Aphex Twin, Hot Chip, Scissor Sisters, Ladyhawke, MGMT, Ariel Pink, Four Tet, Zedd, Steve Aoki, David Guetta, Skrillex, Deadmau5, Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Avicii, '808s & Heartbreak', Lady Gaga, Owl City, M83, James Blake, The xx, Justin Vernon/Bon Iver, London Grammar, Broken Bells, Tame Impala/Pond, Polica, Grimes, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, Drake, Halsey, etc (forgive me if I am missing anyone obvious or if my chronological order is completely wrong, I am just going from memory and what knowledge I have here).

We could post all of the great articles that we find on the subject, and links to the best documentaries, a bit like the synth/electronic equivalent of the huge 'Hoffman classical music' thread. We could also post examples of great lesser-known songs, groups, live recordings, etc.

Even something like the history of the song 'Behind The Mask' would be fascinating, or a study of how already establised acts experimented with synths, to mixed critical results (everything from Dylan's 'Empire Burlesque' to Clapton's 'August', via the likes of Young's 'Re-ac-tor' and 'Trans', Miles Davis's 'Tutu', the Style Council's 'Modernism: A New Decade', U2's 'Pop' and Madonna's 'Music' and 'Ray Of Light').

An article like the following is a good example of something we could discuss: Meet the new boss: 18 albums in which classic rockers embraced synthesizers

It wouldn't even need to be purely chronological; instead, it could focus on the influence of each of the most important people or 'scenes/subgenres' at a time.

A lot of people have spoken in this thread about the disappointing lack of conversation about electronic music on the forum, but by placing it all together under one 'catch-all' thread, maybe it could work?
    If we made it an 'electronic/synthezised music appreciation' thread, we could make sure that those who simply dismiss electronic/synth music couldn't ruin the thread.

What do you think?

Maurice, moops, gotblues and 2 others like this.
  9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

The "Kleenex" of pop music!

gotblues likes this.
  10. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I like the idea but if it becomes as messy and random like the Classical Corner it would be very difficult to follow.

EDIT: for those who can read french, this site seems to be a treasure trove.
    artsonores - Accueil - Ina.fr

theMess likes this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Good point; I suppose that a certain order could be imposed by the O.P, in a similar way to the threads like 'The Rolling Stones: Single By Single' thread. I would follow the a thread like that if someone wants to start it.

I think that it could be a good education for those on the forum who are not as knowledgable about synth based music as they are about guitar based music (myself included, although I do already have a middling amount of knowledge on the subject, although not as much as many members here).

Alas, unfortunately I cannot speak French, but thanks for posting. :righton:

gotblues likes this.
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Now there was a great band!

[​IMG]

13. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Well .....they blew my nose and then they blew my mind !

mrbobdobalina, Tristero and theMess like this.
  14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Hey, I can do that! :agree:

15. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

You must've been influenced by Bugs Bunny

16. China and India are massive populations, but as markets too much piracy and unverifiable sales, hence irrelevant.

17. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Why not start one and see what happens?

gotblues and theMess like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The only reason why I would hesitate to start the thread is because I don't have the in-depth knowledge that certain other forum members have of this field of music. I will start a thread if others want to contribute what they know to it?

20. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

Even my beloved Queen did a mesmerizing keyboard synth bit (played by Fred Mandel) in one of my utter favorites of theirs, I Want to Break Free. This from the band who were in their earlier years strongly anti-synths.

An older SHTV thread on that . . .
    Queen - "No Synthesizers!"

There's a fair amount of work by various bands I love that has at least elements of electronica to it (Roxy Music perhaps my best personal example) - not so in love with work that's 100% electronica. I tend to enjoy stuff that is more a mix of things. Then again I enjoy nearly all vegetables, so, there we are.

I too like your idea and think it could be hugely interesting. :)

theMess likes this.
  21. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

I would simply prefer an entire subforum dedicated solely to all things Beatles and JPG and R.

Love me some Fab 4, but, well, it's tough go through numerous threads on the main forum about the same . . .

Ahhh, whatever. A Beatles subforum would be nice.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    moops and e.s. like this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Agreed.

I love The Beatles, but there's plenty other music to discuss without tripping over threads that were road weary when posted the very first time.

23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Funnily enough, I was going to mention Queen on my list, when I came across the 'No synths' story regarding how they didn't mention using them at the time. They would definitely be discussed if my thread idea comes to life (Radio Gaga is a favourite of mine, especially the synth part).

I would agree with you that most of my favourite synth music is a fusing of electronica with various other forms/genres, but I do also love some pure 100% electronica (be that something like Computer Love or Angel Echoes by Four Tet).

I am pleased that you also like the idea for the thread. I am hoping that someone will start it or suggest how I should start it.

gotblues likes this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

This thread inspired me to pull out all my Tangerine Dream, Cluster, Can, Neu, Moebius, Rodelious, Frose, Baumann and Schultz 70's import albums (excuse sp?)

THANK YOU!!!

Way ahead of their time - a spin of TD Stratosphere was wonderful

My son's girlfriend from Berlin had never heard of this movement and enjoyed what I played her
    They are back overseas

great documentary

reapers, bopdd, The_Windmill and 2 others like this.
  25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

You've never heard the Marty Cooper Clan vocal version of Walk Don't Run then? Changed, burped, tucked in and put through college the world! Not on youtube though. :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.