Jethro Tull: Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kim Olesen, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

More like sorry horse, no more work for you, can't afford to keep and feed you, here's a one way ticket to the glue factory.
    From wiki
    There were about 3.3 million horses in late Victorian Britain. In 1900 about a million of these were working horses, but by 1914 this number had dropped to between 20,000 and 25,000

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Pete Puma likes this.
  2. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I think IA agrees about that song, that's why it wasn't revisited for Warchild and he refused to include it on Nightcap.

Pete Puma likes this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Actually, this isn't that strange. Depending on the type of tracking, it's not unusual that you'd get nothing after it hit foreign shores. I get this all the time. I send packages to Florida once a month, always pay for 5-day delivery, tracked and signed. It always takes two to three weeks, and the tracking is hit and miss. Essentially, Royal Mail gaurantee it until it's out of their hands...

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The song has promise, it just seems unfinished - or else trim down the number of nautical career advisories and call it a link rather than a standalone song.

5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I like it. It's an interesting track that can fill an album. There's a few of these on Fragile by Yes

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I've always assumed "Sailor" had unfinished lyrics, and the repeat lines were just a placeholder for a tune he never went back to finish. Lovely work from Barre on that one though.

DaveinMA likes this.
  7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Best chateau songs are audition and left right imo. Pretty much classic Tull

DonnyMe likes this.
  8. fra_pe

fra_pe Forum Resident

Is this oop already? At Amazon.de it's only available from third party sellers. Jpc says it's not available at present...

9. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

That would be really quick! OTOH, that'd be great for Ian, Steven, et al, OTOH, that'd suck for the fans. I'm sure many who want this haven't gotten it yet.

I did a quick search and found:

In stock:

https://burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/jethro-tull_songs-from-the-wood-40th_cd-dvd

Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood With DVD, Boxed Set, 5PC on ImportCDs

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (3CD/2DVD) - Amazon.com Music

Songs From The Wood [40th Anniversary Edition] (CD)

Out of stock/back-order:

Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood With DVD, Boxed Set, 5PC on ImportCDs

Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood on DeepDiscount

So- it's still available, just some places have sold out their stock.

Pete Puma likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I like the repeat lines. I imagine the Noah character slowly realizing what a dire situation he is in. It is true Ian didn't include it on Nightcap. He wasn't always right.

anth67 and Galeans like this.
  11. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Most of those you mention in stock seem to be back orders UK Amazon only third party and the prices seem to be rising. HMV back order as well. Whether or not these are fulfilled is another issue.

If you want it and haven't got it in your hand, I would be pretty smart and grab it while you can.

12. JimW

Amazon.com has it in stock. I put importcd under the wrong heading- my bad. Amoeba shows in stock on page, but once I went to check-out, it says OOS. BS shows in stock- went to check out, but you have to register, so I didn't bother- that could be OOS once you check out.

Your last sentence is absolutely true, I'd say.

13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

This box set had it all for me. Great price, great surround, great extras....great album!!! so, what more could you want? solid 10. ...it made me forget that Pepper surround fiasco and for that I'm forever grateful:)

JimW likes this.
  15. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

"Fiasco"? Aside from the price difference, I've been enjoying the heck out of both sets. :shrug:

16. JimW

Hey Tom- :wave:

For those of us who like a lot of discreetness in our 5.1 mixes, this surround mix was a fiasco- major missed opportunity. As always, YMMV.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  17. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Amazon.ca are showing Songs From The Wood - The Country Set as in stock for $29.97

18. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I don't know, it met my expectations. I guess if there is ever a surround remix of Piper At The Gates of Dawn we'll know for sure how much more discreet the mixes could be. I think Sgt Pepper's surround mix compares or exceeds those that exist from its contemporaries (Dylan and the Doors).

I just relistened to it amongst a lot of other surround titles this week (Steven Wilson's last two LPs and last two EPs, the last two Blackfield LPs, and Songs From The Wood). I love it.

But back on topic! Seriously, no one has heard the glitch in the flat transfer I mentioned earlier?

19. The only flat transfer I have ever listened to on these sets is TAAB.

20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

These box sets are really addictive... Upon some contributors recommendations from this forum, I ordered and received Aqualung this week. Got through cd1 and 2. Wow, what a clean up SW has done on this one! The gentlemen choir on My God is just stunning. This remix brings out details that were not obvious on previous versions of Aqualung. I also love the 25th anniversary version which IMO is different soundwise but equally enjoyable. The boxset wins over the 25th by giving you more for you buck.

I always liked JT for their brilliant music and lyrics but was always disappointed by the sound quality from the 70's Canadian vinyl pressing. This reissue campaign is a renaissance of my interest for their music.

SJB, geodos, SirMarc and 1 other person like this.
  21. JimW

One of the best ever re-issue series imo- probably #1 in my book. Even though Yes is my fave group and I love SW's work on their "main sequence," these Tull sets have so much in the way of bonuses. How I wish we could have gotten a concert vid of any of those album tours the quality of the SftW concert! This series of Tull deluxe sets sets the bar imo- even if the 5.1's (and 4.0's) are only DTS (which means nothing to me, as I have nothing but praise for the sound quality- though still would have preferred dvd-a and/or blu).

Pete Puma, SJB, Norco74 and 3 others like this.
  22. tootull

Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood - 40th Anniversary Edition - The Country Set, review by fraanco3
    [​IMG] First off, this is no ordinary reissue. Besides having the original album receive an incredible Steven Wilson re-mix, CD1 also includes 8 "associated recordings." Some of those recordings are unedited alternate versions of the originals. Newly revived, they become quintessential Jethro Tull.

The most jaw-dropping of those associated recordings on CD1 is Track 10, "Old Aces Die Hard." It will blow away any longtime Tull fan. Previously unreleased and recorded in '76/77, it is an amalgam of what would become "Dark Ages" and "Living In These Hard Times" intersecting with "A Passion Play" and the "Chateau D'isaster Tapes." At nearly 9 minutes, it feels like a whole new Tull mini-album that after repeated listens, only gets better. A true prog rock gem, "OADH" is a soft, loud, rocky, acoustic, weirdly complex and abstract thrill ride of 70s Jethro Tull. Seriously GREAT vintage Tull.

That track is followed by another previously unreleased original version of "Working John, Working Joe" with energy and instrumentation that totally eclipses the rather subdued version that eventually appeared on the "A" album.

And if the CD re-mix of SFTW and associates isn't enough, there is also a Wilson DVD surround sound re-mix of those tracks that is sublime. Oh yes, they also throw in the best songs from SFTW in their original Quad format and 4.0 surround. Why not?

But wait, there is more. 2 CDs worth of the full 1977 SFTW tour concert -- 112 minutes of the best live recording of JT that I have heard...a front row seat with Tull in their performance prime.

There is also a DVD of that same concert...great audio and video quality that is better than expected given the age of the original. Thank you Jakko Jakszyk for that production miracle!

A very cool, hard-cover 96 page booklet accompanies the 5 pieces of media, containing stories, lyrics, interviews, anecdotes, etc. Very professionally produced.

Five stars for this well engineered slice of prog rock history!
    Share this JETHRO TULL review

FritzL and JimW like this.
  23. tootull

No left channel glitch heard here.
    :cheers:

tonewheeltom likes this.
  24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I have all of these CD reissues with the exception of Thick As A Brick (and I haven't picked up the most recent). Thought I recalled it was poorly mastered and members were hoping for a 2nd reissue?

25. JimW

The defects were fixed. replacement discs sent out, then shortly after it went OOP. It's going for crazy money now if you can find a copy. But if you would like to hear the defective disc, I have a copy that Prognastycator was kind enough to send me- along w/ a corrected disc that wouldn't play in his machines, but did in mine! (thanks again my generous friend)- PM if you're interested.