Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)...*Contains Spoilers!!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Scarface remake starring Bad Coop.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, the "Go watch Grey's Anatomy" responses from Lynch obsessives to any critical remark about the new series get pretty annoying.

I think it's funny that after several weeks of "Lynch doesn't owe you anything" and "It's not about nostalgia" and "You just want a rehash of your cozy old show" and "I'm happy with whatever the master chooses to give us" from those fans, there comes an episode that feels slightly closer to the original series and everyone flips out about it. Maybe people wanted a little more "rehash" than they've been willing to admit.

Exit Flagger, jriems and DVEric like this.
  3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Could be that the slow pace, the seemingly disconnected storylines, the lack of familiar look and feel to the show could be a reflection of Coop's state of mind and where he physically finds himself. As he gets closer to reestablishing his old self, so does the show.

kevywevy and Plinko like this.
  4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Part 7 was the most Twin Peakish episode yet..Loved it!

7. Squealy

DVEric likes this.
  8. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

:laughup: That's funny. I was miffed by that photo as well. How is the only known photograph of Bad Cooper one where he is staring right into the camera with his mansion perfectly framed? It looked like a publicity photo. Maybe Bad Cooper is media savvy or image conscious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. Squealy

Did he kill the photographer?

10. Squealy

It seems a little early in the run to do it but I saw the sweeping scene as a meta-joke about the Roadhouse episode endings.

In all of them the song has started, and then the credits are delayed long enough that you think, is something else maybe going to happen.... and then it doesn't, and credits roll.

This time, we're in the Roadhouse, there's a song... then after a minute or so of nothing we think OK, the credits must be coming... but then the credits don't come up... then the wait continues.... and then not only does something else happen at the Roadhouse, the episode continues on with other scenes!

I dunno, I thought it was funny.

agentalbert, OldSoul, Walt and 8 others like this.
  11. I thought it was pretty clever how they ended the last episode too. Especially playing, Sleepwalk in the Double R diner.

Walt and marblesmike like this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

haha yeah it is. i was having a moment. carry on....

13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

But can Ike The Spike actually fit in the glove box?

:p

liv3evil likes this.
  15. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Poor Ike got his spike bent and had to resort to a gun. 'Squeeze his hand off!' is a rather unusual bit of ringside advice, by the way, innit?
    I guess this was meant to be a momentary return to form for Coop, but I don't recall him ever doing any action-guy stuff in the original series, did he?

16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think it's implied an FBI agent would know what to do if someone pointed a gun at them.

17. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I agree, but from a storytelling point of view I found it interesting that, if the goal was to illustrate a harkening back to the old Cooper, they'd choose to show us something we had never seen him do before.

18. Daniel Plainview

I'm very curious about what becomes of the flesh(?) the cops pulled off of the gun. Lynch iris'ed that shot to make sure we paid attention to it. Why? And are we to assume Ike is possessed by a lodge spirit since he smelled bad to the little girl? Or did he just smell bad in general, just since, you know, he's a deranged killer dwarf who had blood and gore sprayed all over himself in an earlier scene?

19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Didn't he do some physical fighting when they rescued Audrey from One Eyed Jack's?

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Surely an FBI agent would be trained in hand-to-hand combat. And Bad Coop has already displayed similar ability when he beat up the guard at Otis' shack. Bad Coop is Coop, just his naughty side so he should share all of his skills and memories.

As much as I want Coop to come back to his senses, I wonder if his child-like innocence will remain for the whole series and be his key to overcoming his fear and ultimately defeating his 'shadow self'. He has no fear because he's incapable of it, as witnessed when he was faced with a gun. This is how he will defeat Bad Coop. He's totally pure.

21. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Could it be Dumb Coop only looks like Coop to us,has he looked into a mirror ? making there only one Coop (The Bad One) ????????????

22. Daniel Plainview

He looked in the mirror after taking a leak for the first time.

[​IMG]

23. PNeski@aol.com

Thanks ! there goes that idea

24. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Ratings for this have been pretty low now (and I know Showtime picked this up for prestige and new subscribers and not raw ratings, etc.) but I have to say I am really enjoying the season so far. I've even stopped worrying about when Dougie Coop is finally going to snap out of it.

25. PNeski@aol.com

While the Pilot is the gold standard ,this series is better overall than the rest of season 1 and 2 was a mess

OldSoul and bferr1 like this.