Tidal Hi Fi not Gapless

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by duggan, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duggan

duggan Senior Member Thread Starter

It's all a bit odd:
    • Tidal HiFi does not play Gaplessly when played by iphone6s Tidal app over AirPlay to my Cambridge Audio 851N but
    • Does play Gaplessly on the iPhone6s
    I'm wondering if this is an AirPlay, a phone, a Tidal or a Cambridge Audio issue or whether it is a problem due to me not making changes to settings.

I have ensured audio settings are HiFi in the app and note the HiFi lighting is showing. SQ is otherwise excellent and not at 329kbs level. No dropouts are experienced.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I'm afraid I've got no solutions but as a fellow Tidal user I can only add that for me gapless playback doesn't work on my phone (Samsung galaxy) or from my OPPO app linked to my OPPO 105d. However, I'm very interested to learn that gapless works on the iPhone.

3. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Gapless playback works well with my AURALiC Altair. Also with my iPhone 7.

4. duggan

Thanks.
    As we are both using newish iPhones, AirPlay and the Tidal iOS app the culprit may be the Cambridge Audio 851N.

5. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Listening to opera on Tidal HiFi is terrible. I'm using the app on my
    IPad 3 and the gaps are horrible.

duggan likes this.
  6. duggan

It is unlistenable for opera.

7. duggan

I've had the traditional response from Cambridge Audio, they seem to love asking whether the user is using Wifi rather than an Ethernet connection.

8. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Today I'm listening to the same opera I listened to yesterday, only streaming it from my IMac rather than the IPad 3. Tonight there are no gaps and Lohengrin is very listenable. I'll have to see what happens with my phone.

duggan likes this.
  9. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Since this week's update there is no gapless playback on iDevices anymore. Especially sh***y with the new Marillion Misplaced Childhood Super Deluxe.

10. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I use a Bluesound Node 2, and the random addition/deletion of MQA search is FRUSTRATING AS HELL. When I got it, MQA was right there on the home page. Then it was gone. Weeks later, a genre button labeled MASTERS. YAY! Then, they took it away. Then back and forth and back and forth. As of the last 2 weeks... No easy way to search for MASTER MQA files... BOO!!! I also checked the ACTUAL Tidal app on my iPhone; nada. *sigh

11. duggan

I'm hoping that Spotify will soon release CD quality streaming.

Joseph.McClure, Hogues and adamos like this.
  12. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I have Tidal hifi and have been listening to downloaded Pink Floyd and Neu! albums on my iPhone X. Unfortunately I am not getting gapless playback.

13. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Is it just me or is the new update for Tidal now allowing Gapless Playback? I use a PC.

14. ActorCam

ActorCam Forum Resident

Tidal seems to play gaplessly through Roon via my Mac mini music server, but there's a noticeable gap playing the Tidal app on my iPhone X. Very annoying, I wish they'd address that.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve found that it plays gapless on my X if I download the album, but not if streaming from the cloud. My test case was the live World Party from last decade, streaming via Bluetooth to the car’s head unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.